Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covers you are doing that get the best reaction

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But seriously. I'm all for original music, but the fact is that 99% of local original bands suck. This is not to say they are not talented musicians, but their songs are not likable.

but that is all beside the point. There's no reason to bring the argument in this thread.
    Smirkin' jocks with hackysacks in Birkenstocks and khaki slacks.

Comment

Originally posted by worthyjoe
      But seriously. I'm all for original music, but the fact is that 99% of local original bands suck. This is not to say they are not talented musicians, but their songs are not likable.

but that is all beside the point. There's no reason to bring the argument in this thread.

true that for sure! but not only do most original bands suck but most cover bands do too.... why? lack of practice, lack of commitment, lack of focus, in a big rush to get out of the garage or basement... and it all reflects in their performance. that is a topic for another string though... the question originally was, if my swiss-cheese memory of mine serves me, what covers to play at gigs? i simply stated in so many words, why covers? why not originals?

also, someone mentioned that (and i cant remember who in this string and dont feel like looking for it to quote it) bands who do covers have better equiptment? i strongly disagree... 5 years of playing in the same band doing originals only (and i gave up my day job last year) and look at my equipement list... and that's not mentioning ANYTHING of my PA system and my bass rig
      Equiptment:

2002 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. ..the main axe!

2004 Ibanez RG w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. back up axe

Custom Charvel Randy Rhoads "V" ...second back up axe

1967 Vintage Gibson SG II, (aka: Les Paul Jr doublecut) ...never leaves the freakin house!!

Fender MT-500 Metal Head, 550watt output at 2ohms ...main amp and is making me deaf

2 Fender Metal Head cabinets, 400rms each

Various Boss pedal effects: volume pedal, tuner, compressor, digital reverb, digital delay/sampler, phase, flanger, mt2 distortion, chorus, noise gate, equalizer.

cry baby wha pedal

Randall V-Max 300 watt head ...back up amp

Crate Blue Voodoo 120 watt head ....second back up amp

4 Crate 4-12 cabs, 100 rms each

1963 Fender Super Reverb amp, pre CBS ...never leaves the house either!

rack mounted effects: ART electronics signal processor with variable pitch transposer, ADA MP-1 ....junk!

Comment

We played mostly harder rock and Metal-ish covers and without a doubt the two biggest crowd pleasers were when we ended our show with "Bodies" by Drowning Pool, going right into "Killing In The Name Of" by RATM. Even if people had ignored our whole set, by the time we hit those songs we had almost 100% crowd participation, and even a bit of moshing!

I agree with the guy who stated just about any Metallica song. "Enter Sandman" always got a reaction from the first few notes and a big crowd favorite was " Fade To Black"...especially on the nights that I really nailed the solos.

"Self Esteem" by The Offspring and "In The End" by Linkin Park usually got the girls dancing and singing along.

Also, the punk version of "Tainted Love" off of the X-Games soundtrack always seemed to impress people.

But, alas, I recently quit the band rather than endure ever having to play "Creep" by Radiohead again! EVER!!!
        Originally Posted by strato

weed and lexapro daily
        xanax as needed

Comment

Originally posted by Savage Jack

true that for sure! but not only do most original bands suck but most cover bands do too.... why? lack of practice, lack of commitment, lack of focus, in a big rush to get out of the garage or basement... and it all reflects in their performance. that is a topic for another string though... the question originally was, if my swiss-cheese memory of mine serves me, what covers to play at gigs? i simply stated in so many words, why covers? why not originals?

also, someone mentioned that (and i cant remember who in this string and dont feel like looking for it to quote it) bands who do covers have better equiptment? i strongly disagree... 5 years of playing in the same band doing originals only (and i gave up my day job last year) and look at my equipement list... and that's not mentioning ANYTHING of my PA system and my bass rig

Generally speaking, local cover bands make more money than local original bands. I think that is what they meant.

Comment

A few of the covers that we play that go over well are:

Killing in the Name - Rage Against The Machine

I Alone - Live

Say It Ain't So - Weezer

our old school punk version of Last Kiss

Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter

Plush - STP

Would? - AIC

Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
            Jet Setter

CURRENT RIG:
            2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
            2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (SD PG set)
            Jet City JCA100H
            Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks
            lots 'o pedals

CURRENT BAND:
            The Medicine Years
            https://soundcloud.com/themedicineyears

Comment

the covers band I play with once in a while is called The Dave Winans Project...

the crowd goes NUTS when we do Superstition, and Voodoo Child back to back....and Man In The Box does it too....

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" ~ William Jefferson Clinton

Originally Posted by Tank

I didn't sell out, I bought in.

Originally Posted by newbie chick

Kids today have no sense of fashion, because dressing like a slut takes work and planning.

Hard Rock From Detroit, MI
              Six Months Gone

Comment

Lee, you know where I stand on the issue of the "worn out bar tunes". I don't feel like going through it right now...I'd be typing all night.

Covers are great, but, you have to decide how to use covers, and the purpose of your band. If you're going to be a party/bar band, covers will probably make up 90% or more of your repertoire. Even if you're an original band doing shows, I think throwing in a couple well-placed covers can enhance the crowd's familiarity. If you're in the latter type band, you don't need to do covers verbatim, but, experiment with style. Case in point...the Foo Fighters cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street". Some band (could have been Blink 182 but I'm not sure) did a cover of Britney Spears "Baby Baby"...that was never put on a CD, but it was great. For those that automatically negate all covers, keep in mind that one of the first bands to record their own original material, The Beatles, basically started as a cover band, and played a lot of covers during their early gigs. They even had hits on a few covers ("Twist and Shout" for example). Whatever works for the audience.

The bottom line...be imaginative.
                My Space

Comment

worthyjoe,

how much money a band makes has little to do with what it plays and everything to do with how they play it, how they control an audience, their show, their musicianship, level of professionalism (ruthlessness of their manager *evil grin*) and so on. i've been in a few cover bands (lol, just a few) and this is my first original only band... and i can add up all the money i made in 9 cover bands in 20 years and it dont add up to what i made in the last 2 years with this all original UNSIGNED and independent band.

ok, a little luck, a whole lot of drive, an attitude, presence, a collective charisma (that one is a whole topic on itself!), focus and devotion is required too... not to mention good management: but that applies equally to cover bands as well.

...did i mention a little luck? lol! yeah that too

on another note... i cant believe how many times i see bands playing covers that absolutely do not suit or serve themselves... for instance... a band with a female lead singer playing stinkfist... her range didn't permit it, or a band with an baritone frontman playing ac/dc, ...he blew his throat out too and wasn't worth spit the rest of the night ... songs that require back vocals and no one in the band besides the frontman knows how to sing... that's an off key mess that happens all the time... or another band who just lost their lead player and their frontman, who played rhythem filled in for him... he was fine on the greenday songs but any band they covered that wasn't a 3 piece or had a badass solo in it... well, it was a noble effort *grin* (these all true stories happening in the last month and a half too).

choose your songs carefully... they have to serve the band well, choose songs that fit the abilities of all the musicians in the band... (this is especially important if you write originals too... write to the abilities of your musicians, not everyone can play like satriani) ...the weakest musician in your band usually determines the songs your band will pull off well ...or not.

tell me if this one sounds familiar... the band gets together for their first practice and the singer says... well i know this list of songs... the lead player has his list, the bassist his list and so on... then they just choose the songs that most of the band already knows and it's instant set list... no thought, no planning, they havent got a chance!

or this one... hey man, i want to do this song, someone else says well, if you want to do that one, then i want to do this one, the singer says, i cant do that one, it's out of my range, the lead player says, that's ok, i'll transpose it in a lower key...geezus!!... talk about a 3 humped camel! set list design by commitee is a disaster in the making. to quote my drummer "....man, that's all cracked out"

if you determine that your band is say for instance ...an 80's metal band... dont play freakin brown eyed girl! if your a classic rock band... dont be playing any death metal... set lists should be consistant with the bands agenda, billing and abilities all at once.
                  i read that huge post with the so called "set list to make you rich and famous" and my god! ...that's a show i'd definitely want to miss, ...i think i have a root canal scheduled for the day that band plays at my favorite watering hole! lol!! (to the author of that post, i dont mean disrespect... but that set list is definitely cracked out, quilted patchworks are fine for country venues i suppose but mixing classic rock, old pop & top 40's music, funk, disco and newer sounds is just confusing to an audience... and you cant build your band's identity or even a show around it... )

always remember first and foremost... the audience sees our job as one thing and one thing only.... we are to ENTERTAIN them, we are the backdrop to their evening of swill drinking, pool shooting and vain attempts to get laid...and we're not to bore them, confuse them, amuse them or even steal their girlfriends from them (well... forget that last one hehe!) add to that what your band's job really should be.... develop your following... consistancy in what you play will help... choose your songs wisely.
                  Equiptment:

2002 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. ..the main axe!

1967 Vintage Gibson SG II, (aka: Les Paul Jr doublecut) ...never leaves the freakin house!!

Fender MT-500 Metal Head, 550watt output at 2ohms ...main amp and is making me deaf

Various Boss pedal effects: volume pedal, tuner, compressor, digital reverb, digital delay/sampler, phase, flanger, mt2 distortion, chorus, noise gate, equalizer.

cry baby wha pedal

rack mounted effects: ART electronics signal processor with variable pitch transposer, ADA MP-1 ....junk!

Comment

A couple songs that we get a big reaction to are Shine-Collective Soul, Paint it Black-Stones, and a hard rock version of Seven Nation Army, I swear people love that bass line. Yeah and one Metallica riff and people are goin nuts.
                    Gear:
                    Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Widebody Combo
                    Genz-Benz G-Flex 2X12
                    Carvin SX200 Combo
                    Ibanez GAX 50
                    ESP/Ltd EC 1000 Deluxe
                    ESP/Ltd MH 400NT
                    Ibanez Acoustic
                    Washburn Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie Mob m/

Comment

We groove to the standard Sweet Home Alabama, What I Like About You and a Louis Louis/Wild Thing/Hang on Sloopy medley.

A few things that we get great response that I don't believe I have seen mentioned here are Twilight Zone - Golden Earing and Never Been Any Reason - Head East.
                      www.lastband.com
                      www.myspace.com/tlboe

Comment

Savage Jack, I don't think it's your goal, but you're coming off as more than a little brash. Quite a few cover bands have at least two or three guys who are using the band as financial support for their original projects (this is my situation), so the generalization that cover band guys aren't creative musicians is really actually quite offensive.

Furthermore, my experience has been that most of the guys around here who refuse to play covers couldn't if they wanted to. Most lack the talent or the ambition to actually learn how to play a song correctly. I'm not saying by any means that this is the case with you, but it's something I've noticed.

To respond to the question posed, our biggest draw is "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" by The Gap Band. Nobody remembers this tune, but it's a real buttshaker. We're a funk band, but we rock it out (pick scrapes, harmonics, offbeat breaks in the middle of the verse, bass run through noisy-ass synth pedal, etc.).
                        I WANNA ROSK!
                        Support research for Crohn's disease: www.ccfa.org

"Or, as they say on CNN: 'Briefly now, what is the meaning of life?'"--Gore Vidal

CHEROKEE PRIDE

Comment

I'm in a band that's unabashedly covers only right now. This is the first band I've been in as a guitar player and we're a bunch of thirty to fiftty somethings with families looking to have a good time once or twice a month playing the music we like. So at 35 with two kids, a mortgage, a wife, and a dog I'm way over the hill to become a rock star and I'm not about to go out on the road and leave my job and family. I've got no time to write the next Dark Side of the Moon. Here are some the tunes that get 'em going for us. We try to play only songs that are danceable, and sometimes that means Mustang Sally or Brown Eyen Girl (Shudder) but we do every song our own way so it is like a new version anyways:

Any Stones tunes: Brown Sugar and Bitch come to mind
                          Are You Gonna Be My Girl? We do an extended version with the opening bass line that gets the crowd really groovin'.
                          Walkin' the Dog - Sort of a hybrid of the Stones and Aerosmith version with the intro of Sweet Leaf by Sabbath thrown in.
                          Leavin' Trunk by TaJ Mahal
                          Jailbreak by AC/DC
                          Highway to Hell
                          Them Changes
                          Rock This Town
                          Gimme Three Steps
                          Tightrope
                          Runaround by Blues Traveler

Comment

riffdaddy

brash? well... perhaps... but i never said that cover band musicians had no creativity or talent... dont put words in my mouth (or in my posts) i never said or even insinuated. in fact i know tons of extremely talented musicians who are playing in cover bands, ...many of which can totally smoke me on the guitar. offensive? well... i mean to be provocative and make people think.

as for your comment of believing that most guys who play originals because they cant learn to play covers correctly i've found that to be the opposite.... it takes a keen knowledge of structure, timing, song construction, transitioning et al and ad nauseum to write original music... how does one learn this? well...unless you're classically trained, which i'm not, you learn it by dissecting other people's music, studying it carefully, listen to their interviews, their musical philosophies -- and learning from it.
                            Equiptment:

cry baby wha pedal

Comment

One band I played in was all originals because one of the other members was just too lazy to learn any covers. Lame eh?

Another band I play in (metal band) does mostly originals except we throw in a cover of Slayer's Criminally Insane which always gets the people going. We do it right in the middle of our set and usually the crowd reaction to every song after that is really positive. It is different in metal because people are really picky and then they hear something they remember from first getting into metal and it opens them up.

Originally posted by riffdaddy
                              Quite a few cover bands have at least two or three guys who are using the band as financial support for their original projects (this is my situation), so the generalization that cover band guys aren't creative musicians is really actually quite offensive.

I actually knew a bunch of guys that were in a black metal band that had a top 40's band made up of all of the same members. They just dressed up nice and played the covers, made a bunch of money, and then used that money towards recording their CD / duplicating it, flyering etc. The whole concept though just made me laugh.

I know of a few people locally that are in very lucrative cover bands and use the performances to basically build their stage experience and get a lot better at their instruments. Then they take that experience (and the money they make) and apply it to their own bands.
                              Originally posted by Japetus
                              Here will be the bet. By Aug 28th, 2007, Caparison Guitars will have signifigantly reduced in used value. If they have not, I will buy you the new copy of Madden 08, which will be coming out by then.

Originally posted by Megadeth7684
                              That's a weak bet. I'll put my whole ****************ing rig on the line. The "signifigant" price drop has to be the $500-600 that you keep saying they're going to be selling for.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage Jack
                                riffdaddy

brash? well... perhaps... but i never said that cover band musicians had no creativity or talent... dont put words in my mouth (or in my posts) i never said or even insinuated. in fact i know tons of extremely talented musicians who are playing in cover bands, ...many of which can totally smoke me on the guitar. offensive? well... i mean to be provocative and make people think.

as for your comment of believing that most guys who play originals because they cant learn to play covers correctly i've found that to be the opposite.... it takes a keen knowledge of structure, timing, song construction, transitioning et al and ad nauseum to write original music... how does one learn this? well...unless you're classically trained, which i'm not, you learn it by dissecting other people's music, studying it carefully, listen to their interviews, their musical philosophies -- and learning from it.

get out of my thread!!!!!!!

Seriously. Start a thread on this topic. This was intended for people to post cover songs their COVER BAND has had luck with. You have successfully ruined the this thread.

This is not the thread to argue cover vs. original. Please. Stop talking.

Comment

Working...
                                X