X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covers you are doing that get the best reaction

right now I have to say our hottest song is Mr. Brightside by the Killers. It's probably on the tail end of it's popularity but people freaking LOVE the song and I also love playing/singing it.

We also start and end a medley with 500 Miles by the Proclaimers and that seems to get peoples' attention (in a good way).

What are some others? Can be new songs or old.
    Smirkin' jocks with hackysacks in Birkenstocks and khaki slacks.

Sadly, it's songs like:
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself
    Brown Eyed Girl
    What I Like About You

.......you get the drift.

Have you checked the chicken?

>---

Comment

There's something about AC/DC that always gets the crowd going...

In the places where I play, play just one bar of a Metallica riff and they go nuts!
      What is this sorcery?

Comment

My female-fronted rock band added "Fight For Your Right To Party" by the Beastie Boys several months ago. When we ripped into that song with a female lead and female backup, heads were turning at the bar. The reaction on their faces was priceless.
        I used to play with | I occasionally play withMy Main Gigging Gear:Musicman Dargie Delight 5HS Bongo with roundsG&L L-2500 Tribute with flatsGenzBenz Shuttle 6.0 112 comboGenzBenz Shuttle 9.0 & GenzBenz Neo 212TPeterson StrobostompSennheiser EW172 Wireless

Comment

covers? bah! ptuiiii! *spits*

covers are so overrated... we do all originals, never ever played any covers, have no problem getting gigs, never have any problems with crowd control either... as long as you keep kicking ass and your beat is awesome, your sound is thick and thumping you are good to go. i figure i played enough covers when i was a kid i dont need to be doing it now.

plus there's something that every working musician needs to cultivate... it's called integrity to one's self... never compromise and stick to your guns. !if you dont believe in what you are playing, your audience will sence it and you'll never hold the crowd.

...just a thought there

btw... once in a while when some drunk redneck yells out "free bird" my response is to flick him the bird and say.... no charge bro! ....of course, my drummer was a navy seal and my frontman was airborne so... i can get away with more than most can lol
          Equiptment:

2002 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. ..the main axe!

2004 Ibanez RG w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. back up axe

Custom Charvel Randy Rhoads "V" ...second back up axe

1967 Vintage Gibson SG II, (aka: Les Paul Jr doublecut) ...never leaves the freakin house!!

Fender MT-500 Metal Head, 550watt output at 2ohms ...main amp and is making me deaf

2 Fender Metal Head cabinets, 400rms each

Various Boss pedal effects: volume pedal, tuner, compressor, digital reverb, digital delay/sampler, phase, flanger, mt2 distortion, chorus, noise gate, equalizer.

cry baby wha pedal

Randall V-Max 300 watt head ...back up amp

Crate Blue Voodoo 120 watt head ....second back up amp

4 Crate 4-12 cabs, 100 rms each

1963 Fender Super Reverb amp, pre CBS ...never leaves the house either!

rack mounted effects: ART electronics signal processor with variable pitch transposer, ADA MP-1 ....junk!

Comment

Well most of the time cover bands and original bands are at odds with each other. Cover bands are looking to make money, and will usually do what the crowd and the folks who hired them want them to do. Original bands of course, are focused on making their own art. It's two different things.

My band is a bit on the fence in that we're an original band but we happen to know a LOT of covers, mainly 60's stuff, so we occasionally get hired to do a paying gig doing covers. We would never make that our primary focus, but it's fun to do once in awhile for variety and profit. We enjoy playing covers, and we don't do "Freebird" or any of the usual expected stuff.

I think playing anything helps you play better as a band, and I don't like being in bands that refuse to play anything but their own stuff. But I definitely agree that you have to enjoy what you're playing, no matter what it is. There are some covers that we really enjoy doing, so we do them. Otherwise, we stick to our own stuff.
            What The...?
            http://www.what-the.com
            http://www.facebook.com/whattherock
            http://www.myspace.com/whattherock

Comment

Originally posted by Savage Jack
              btw... once in a while when some drunk redneck yells out "free bird" my response is to flick him the bird and say.... no charge bro! ....of course, my drummer was a navy seal and my frontman was airborne so... i can get away with more than most can lol

I've got a suggestion for even a better response...when "some drunk redneck" yells "Freebird"...stop your current song immediately and start playing "Freebird". It's the easiest way to shut them up without the macho bullsh!t. Both of my bands are adding a shortened version of the song for this very reason.
              I used to play with | I occasionally play withMy Main Gigging Gear:Musicman Dargie Delight 5HS Bongo with roundsG&L L-2500 Tribute with flatsGenzBenz Shuttle 6.0 112 comboGenzBenz Shuttle 9.0 & GenzBenz Neo 212TPeterson StrobostompSennheiser EW172 Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

...when "some drunk redneck" yells "Freebird"...stop your current song immediately and start playing "Freebird".

If you're in a band that actually has a slide guitarist, is it a requirement to play "Freebird" at every gig? How many times a night?
                -M.Cz
                For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

covers? bah! ptuiiii! *spits*

covers are so overrated... we do all originals, never ever played any covers, have no problem getting gigs, never have any problems with crowd control either... as long as you keep kicking ass and your beat is awesome, your sound is thick and thumping you are good to go. i figure i played enough covers when i was a kid i dont need to be doing it now.

plus there's something that every working musician needs to cultivate... it's called integrity to one's self... never compromise and stick to your guns. !if you dont believe in what you are playing, your audience will sence it and you'll never hold the crowd.

...just a thought there

Why bring this into the discussion? Honestly?

Oh, and I think you should consider a longer signature section.

Comment

I asked about covers some time back. Received some good responses, as follows:

Hello fellow guitar players,

So, you've got a pretty good crowd, but it's one of those nights where they'll dance .... and then they won't dance. Kind of hard to figure out what they want, and you've got 2 1/2 more sets to go.

Now, based on your song list, what seems to be the top five songs that usually gets them off their ass and on the dance floor?

(Yes, I'm looking to steal a few ideas here!)

Thanks for any input.

George

NEXT:

You Shook Me All Night Long

NEXT:

Its not songs your looking for, its a band.

Sly and The Family Stone

NEXT:

Brown eyed girl
                    All right now
                    Takin care of business
                    Old time rock and roll
                    Play that funky music

OR

any disco song (KC, Outkast, Kool, etc).

People dancing = bigger crowds = people drinking more = happy club owners = call backs and bigger paychecks for the band.

That's just the way it is. And it took me a LONG time to realize this. And even longer to embrace it.

NEXT:

Wonderful Tonight
                    Play that funky music
                    Born to be wild
                    Mustang Sally

Pretty much anything by ZZ Top.

NEXT:

I'm not saying I enjoy playing these songs, but....

Mustang Sally
                    Play that Funky Music
                    Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself
                    Keep Your Hands to Yourself
                    Brown Eyed Girl
                    Sweet Home Alabama

Basically, any song that has been played to death and that even in their drunkest state they know. Dream Theater would probably clear the bar out, even if the real band walked in and played it. Sad but true..

NEXT:

CCR - Fortunate Son
                    Ween - Voodoo Lady
                    Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
                    Jimi - Crosstown Traffic
                    Everlast - Who Got The Hooch

NEXT:

Old Time Rock and Roll
                    La Bamba/Good Lovin'
                    Johnny B. Goode
                    Smooth
                    Start Me Up

NEXT:

Play That Funky Music -- even the lyrics will tell you that you need to play this song!!

NEXT:

Higher by Sly & The Family Stone.
                    It's got the groove and it's open ended so you
                    could do a jam version that would go on for
                    quite a while, even sneak a guitar solo in.

NEXT:

Shout! for the wild dance crowd
                    The Lass Kiss for the slow-dance crowd

NEXT:

GQ - Disco Nights
                    Phish - Weekapaug Groove
                    any Akimbo
                    lots of Stevie Wonder
                    Grateful dead - Shakedown Street
                    Marvin Gaye - Got to give it up
                    Rick James - Give it to me baby
                    Rick James - Mary Jane
                    Michael Jackson - Dont stop till you get enough

NEXT:

Bill Withers - Use Me
                    Stevie Wonder - Superstition
                    Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
                    James Brown - The Payback
                    Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate

NEXT:

(She's A) Brick House
                    Brown Sugar
                    Proud Mary
                    Mustang Sally
                    anything by Kool and The Gang
                    honestky, I spend time i nclubs checking bands, and even the young bands can't find 'modern' dance material that is not hip-hop oriented...stick with the classics...

NEXT:

This is how it is- nobody wants to hear your crappy originals- they want to dance.

Here's our third set, the killer- timed perfectly for the drunk girls in the audience- It's non-stop booty shakin'.
                    Set Three
                    Sweet home Alabama
                    Hard to handle
                    What I like about you
                    Brick House
                    Cold hard bitch
                    Harder to breathe
                    White Wedding
                    What I got
                    She talks to angels
                    What was I thinking?
                    Faith
                    Sin City
                    Play that funky music

NEXT:

few more:

"Super Bad"- James Brown
                    "It's Your Thing"- Sly And The Family Stone
                    "Who's That Lady"- The Isley Brothers
                    "And The Beat Goes On"- The Whispers
                    "Stomp"- Brothers Johnson
                    The aforementioned Rick James covers

At bar gigs, if you want people to dance, you've gotta funk.

Some *very* early rap like "The Breaks" by Kurtis Blow or "Rappers Delight" also works well in rock bars, because they're still basically funk tunes.

An added feature of funk is that you can throw a couple of those covers into your originals set and get people to dance while avoiding the dreaded bull**************** schlock covers that people think you have to play to get paid.

Of course, you can play clubs that only do original music and avoid the

NEXT:

What I Like About You
                    The House Is A Rockin'
                    Twist and Shout
                    Brown Sugar
                    Rock and Roll (Zep)

Comment

people who think playign covers is tantamount to blasphemy usually have really ****************ty attitudes with regards to band work.

i know a handful of people who play for a living. some doing covers, some doing originals with labels.

the guys doing the covers make money constantly, have good gear, always have a crowd, can change the set lists to their liking or the venue and crowd, always get appreciated, don't have any of the bull**************** attitudes that come with playign with other original bands and most of all, they enjoy doing it.

guys i know signed to labels on the other hand: the only bit they tend to like is the actual playing. the rest of the time they're being ****************ed about by the label or record stores, always have to play the same sets pretty much every night, alwaysat each others throats because they need to spend so much time together, constantly having to write not because they want to but cause they need to... amongst other things...

My band does originals and covers so it's really like 2 projects but a coupla years ago when we were just doing originals it started getting like the people I just described, playing out several times a week, always at each others throats, too much pressure and to be honest, it stopped being fun to the point where I'm glad to do things at our own pace now and i can never see the covers thing get to the point where we're ready to just walk away from it all.
                      good deals with: kpd78, kid A, sg1, chucknorris1982, red riviera, pott, heartfelt dawn

Comment

thank you

the bottom line is: not everyone wants to become a rockstar. And once you pass a certain age the chances go from slim to none. There is something to be said for having a career and playing for fun and cash on the side.

That said, my objection was that this thread was clearly about cover bands and people feel the need to bash.

Comment

I'm in a cover band and I like it. As an audience member, I'd prefer to hear a decent cover band live than an original band with sucky songs. But it is pretty special to hear an original band with good songs. Unfortunately, in my experience, I've ran across more decent cover bands than decent original bands.

Anyway, here's what seem to get people on the dance floor for us:

Killing in the Name Of - RATM

Hey Ya! - Outkast

Just a Girl - No Doubt

Ready to Go - Republica
                          Rimspeed: www.rimspeed.com
                          DoublePost: www.myspace.com/doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by GWS5987

This is how it is- nobody wants to hear your crappy originals- they want to dance.

...lol!! lesson there is dont play your crappy originals, only play your great ones... the trick is to write 40 great ones and build a 4 hour show around them.

.....always remember that the covers you play were once someone else's originals (club owners usually fall for that one when we say we dont do covers and dont want to book you for that reason...so remember to say that!), and someone (actually a whole lot of someones) wanted to hear them enough to make them popular enough for other bands to cover them.

....as for dancing, it dont matter what you play, covers or originals, if your band is tight, well rehearsed, PREPARED, professional and otherwise has their **************** together, ...if you play it well, they will dance, if you play it well... they will buy up the bartender's swill they're slinging... simple formula eh?

and otherwise simply put... if you consistantly kick ass and take names your band will play gigs and make money no matter what you're playing.
                            Equiptment:

2002 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. ..the main axe!

2004 Ibanez RG w/ Di Marzio DP102 superoverdrive hotbar pickups. back up axe

Custom Charvel Randy Rhoads "V" ...second back up axe

1967 Vintage Gibson SG II, (aka: Les Paul Jr doublecut) ...never leaves the freakin house!!

Fender MT-500 Metal Head, 550watt output at 2ohms ...main amp and is making me deaf

2 Fender Metal Head cabinets, 400rms each

Various Boss pedal effects: volume pedal, tuner, compressor, digital reverb, digital delay/sampler, phase, flanger, mt2 distortion, chorus, noise gate, equalizer.

cry baby wha pedal

Randall V-Max 300 watt head ...back up amp

Crate Blue Voodoo 120 watt head ....second back up amp

4 Crate 4-12 cabs, 100 rms each

1963 Fender Super Reverb amp, pre CBS ...never leaves the house either!

rack mounted effects: ART electronics signal processor with variable pitch transposer, ADA MP-1 ....junk!

Comment

...lol!! lesson there is dont play your crappy originals, only play your great ones... the trick is to write 40 great ones and build a 4 hour show around them.

is that the trick? haha

Comment

Working...
                              X