Who gigs with two amplifiers?

orourke

• Members

Just thought I'd get something going that was on topic.

I play in a hard rock trio, doing 45 minute to an hour sets in little NYC clubs. But I like to get a big sound. So I use two amps. Usually the two heads are a Mesa Mark IV and and a Reverend Hellhound. A few places have a 4x12 or two for the backline, otherwise I'll bring a Mesa 2x12 and the Reverend 4x10. I just got a Mesa 1x12 and an old Mesa 1x12 S.O.B. 60W combo. I hope I can lighten my load on some of these gigs.

I run my LP through a bunch of OD/Dist pedals and end the effects chain with my old Boss GT-3 which I use for stereo ping pong delays, and some other stereo effects.

It works pretty good, I wish I had roadies though, lugging all that gear by myself is a real pain.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

I play in a hard rock trio, doing 45 minute to an hour sets in little NYC clubs. But I like to get a big sound. So I use two amps. Usually the two heads are a Mesa Mark IV and and a Reverend Hellhound. A few places have a 4x12 or two for the backline, otherwise I'll bring a Mesa 2x12 and the Reverend 4x10. I just got a Mesa 1x12 and an old Mesa 1x12 S.O.B. 60W combo. I hope I can lighten my load on some of these gigs.

I run my LP through a bunch of OD/Dist pedals and end the effects chain with my old Boss GT-3 which I use for stereo ping pong delays, and some other stereo effects.

It works pretty good, I wish I had roadies though, lugging all that gear by myself is a real pain.

Hell if I have to load my own equipmenbt and I've laways had too. I go with a Mesa MK4 if you like it, in a wide body combo would be best to me. The SOB should work fine.

My choose at the time I was gigging with a band was a Fender 1x12 cobo amp and the a DC 5 widebody combo, I took 2 guitars, plus my bag stuff, like tuner, cords, extra tubes, a pair of gloves. and a few effects.

That was about 3 trips to the car, 1 for the amp, I really carry my amp with one hand by the plastic handle.

1 trip for the Guitars and 1 trip for every thing else.

• Members

Originally posted by forceman

Question: do you mic or DI into the FOH?

If so, then are you just seeking a distinct sound, of just think it looks cool (as it does, IMO!
:)
)

If not using the PA, why not?

Regards.

It's definetly all about the sound to me. Belive me, I'm 48 years old, with torn cartelige in my knee (from lugging gear). And I'm still lugging this stuff, because it sounds amazing.

Most of the places I play put mics in front of my speakers and hard-pan them left and right, but I ususally don't need to much going through the PA in these little joints. I'd rather just control my own volume. I would never go direct, because I don't trust most house soundmen or those house PA's.

• Members

Originally posted by Mikeo

Hell if I have to load my own equipmenbt and I've laways had too. I go with a Mesa MK4 if you like it, in a wide body combo would be best to me. The SOB should work fine.

My choose at the time I was gigging with a band was a Fender 1x12 cobo amp and the a DC 5 widebody combo, I took 2 guitars, plus my bag stuff, like tuner, cords, extra tubes, a pair of gloves. and a few effects.

That was about 3 trips to the car, 1 for the amp, I really carry my amp with one hand by the plastic handle.

1 trip for the Guitars and 1 trip for every thing else.

One thing for me is that I really like closed back cabs. I just like the tighter low-end tone better. And I sometimes play a baritone guitar which can sound flabby in a open back combo or cab. I also like to break up the weight by have a head/speaker rig rather than the ball busting weight of a combo.

Though I have to admit that my Mesa 2x12 Theile cab is about the same weight as a Fender Twin. That's why I just bought the 1x12 Theile, which is considerably lighter.

• Members

I'm starting to gig w/ two amps when playing w/ my trio - one (a 30 watt tube/SS hybrid) for my Tele, one (a 65-watt SS "acoustic" amp) for my acoustics, w/ an A/B/A+B switch box to choose between 'em (some songs sound good with an acoustic run into the electric's amp! :))...it does mean hauling around a bit more equiptment, but that's life!

I run the acoustic amp DI'd to my (or in a few cases, the house) mixer, and am experimenting with mic'ing and DIing the hybrid...haven't yet decided which I prefer on that one.

• Members

Hah! I popped in here to post a similar thread; now I'll just reply on this one.

Now, is it the sound of stereo effects (panning, modulation, etc.), or the composite tone of the two amps 'n' their respective speakers 'n' cabs that does it for you?

I've done a little bit of this with a little tiny half-@$$3d rig (don't laugh too hard, it worked pretty well for some really small gigs, with drums, and it's CHEAP) consisting of a Carvin Vintage 33 1x12 tube-combo (bought used, for CHEAP), a little Danelectro "Nifty Fifty" SS combo (used as a slave/sattelite for stereo), and a Lexicon Vortex stereo effects processor. I'd run out of the effects-loop of the Carvin, into the Vortex, and out to the return of the Carvin and the input of the Danelectro. Sometimes, with mixed results, I used a Johnson J-Station modeler as a preamp, feeding the Vortex and either the effects return or the front input of the Carvin, and the Danelectro.

I love the separation and spread, as well as the stereo effects.

I have used a GT (as in Groove Tubes) Electronics Speaker Emulator to send a D/I from a tube-amp into effects and then to a PA or Carvin stereo tube power-amp, as well. This leaves the amp's own speakers with a dry, unprocessed sound, in parallel.

I'll probably go that latter route in the future, when I get some better amps and a couple of good 1x12 or 2x12 cabs.

I believe that it's Larry Carlton who mics his main amp (a Dumble), and sends the mic'ed signal into stereo reverb and delay and in then turn to a stereo power-amp and cabs left and right of the Dumble.

• Members

I haven't done it in awhile, but there've been times I've run my Fender Pro Reverb and Ampeg VT-40 together. I have an Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal, and I can get a lot of subtle variations in tone by panning between the two amps and getting more of one or the other - then hitting the switch and running them both together full blast for leads. I play in a 3 piece, so it really makes things sound full when I can do it, but it can only be done in fairly large venues. It's a great treat once in awhile though!

• Members

i just consolidated... was using a randall v-max with a crate blue voodoo looped through on top of 4 crate 412's... now THAT's a freakin load... huge sound though, and the wall of cabs looks cool in back of you but it's not worth all the lugging.

about a month ago i picked up a new stack... a 550 watt monster, the fender MH500 metal head with 2 metal head cabs, just go to a music store and try one out... they will probably have to wheel it outside before you turn it on lol! if you like your mesa you'll LOVE this one trust me.

now i just keep the old randall 300 watt head in the truck incase of emergency, but considering i already rolled one of my new fender cabs down a hill when it fell off the tip cart and it didn't even pick up a scratch, i'm not worrying too much about it lol!

the head weighs about 50 pounds and the cabs are 100 pounds each, but they do come with some rather heavy duty casters.

• Members

I also gig with 2 amps... a hughes & kettner puretone with mesa boogie 1x12 widebody cab, and a Laney LC30 1x12 combo plus trutone 1x12 extension cab.

I do it primarily for that enhanced stereo field, using effects that take advantage of it (flangers, ping pong delay, reverb). But even without effects activated, the sound of those 2 amps together is quite awesome.

- tragicmagic

• Members

Originally posted by tragicmagic

I also gig with 2 amps... a hughes & kettner puretone with mesa boogie 1x12 widebody cab, and a Laney LC30 1x12 combo plus trutone 1x12 extension cab.

I do it primarily for that enhanced stereo field, using effects that take advantage of it (flangers, ping pong delay, reverb). But even without effects activated, the sound of those 2 amps together is quite awesome.

- tragicmagic

I dig that too, but it leaves so much up to the soundman unless you're relying just on amp power to get to the back of the room. Do you have your own soundguy or do you just tell them what's up and hope for the best?

• Members

I use two on occasion but usually at bigger clubs and outdoor events. Their both getting the same signal through my Digitech RP300A so it doesn't allow for switching. The two amps are a 75 watt Music Man played through a 12" EV and a 75 watt SS Randall with a 12" Celestion. The Randall is played at pretty much full volume, the Music Man (my regular rig) on 2 1/2 max!

• Members

Originally posted by Weatherbox

I dig that too, but it leaves so much up to the soundman unless you're relying just on amp power to get to the back of the room. Do you have your own soundguy or do you just tell them what's up and hope for the best?

Nope, we don't have our own sound person! I just place the amps on the extreme left and right of the stage and ask the sound guy to pan them hard in the mix. The places we've played so far, the amps are more than capable of filling up the venue without PA reinforcement.

- tragicmagic

• Members

Originally posted by tragicmagic

- tragicmagic

You're running a similar rig to mine. I've really gotta get out and see you guy's one of these nights.

• Members

I use a 212R ReverbRocket and a Crate VC60. I set up on the left side of the stage and place the other amp on the far right. When using mics I pan them the same way. I can get stereo chorus, ping pong, panning or whatever else you never hear in Wyoming cowboy bars.

• Members

You're running a similar rig to mine. I've really gotta get out and see you guy's one of these nights.

next couple of shows are tomorrow July 27 and next wed August 3 at the Delancey, 8:15pm sharp. It's free too...

- tragicmagic

• Members

I have been bringing two amps lately, due to a bad experience a couple of years ago with one that was acting up, but so far in my band I can barely get one up loud enough for me to hear without somebody in the band complaining it's too loud. And it's just a Hot Rod Deluxe set between three and four, if that.

I should mention that we are an original rock/folk/blues/jamband, not a quiet band, but not metal either. You would expect us to be loud, but we are not trying to break any eardrums, especially our own.

Our first gig with our current line-up was outside, so I thought I would be able to turn it up past the normal rehearsal volume, maybe half way. I don't know if it was because the pa had too much of it or what, but the drummer kept annoyingly complaining it was too loud. So I kept turning it down until it was probably lower than at rehearsal. May have been an issue with the monitors, which were crap - and also positioning, as the drummer had decided to set-up in the corner directly behind me and my open back.

Anyway, a recording of the show indicates that, yes, the guitar was loud, though only too loud in places because they managed to bury the vocals and my rhythm player with his half-stack seemed to be afraid to turn it up at all (he played the entire first song with the volume on the amp off - good thing I was covering the chords most of the time on that one). I was surprised the sound of my guitar on the cd was as good as it was - it sounded pretty weak to me on stage. But the sound of the cd was good overall.

Anyway, I would like to experiment with two amps either hooked together or A/B'd. Until I get the soundguys to refrain from mic-ing me and/or get a set-up which doesn't cause the band issues, though, the first option is not viable.

Que Sera. I may be a one amp guy . . .

:cool:

• Members

I use 2 or 3 actually. A zenTera combo and two Mackie SRM 450's with a small mixer for my VG8Ex and GR33. This set up provides the widest variety in the smallest package. Each peice is between 50 and 60 lbs and small enough to fit in my wagon. I can set it up in less than 25 minutes.

I've been using this rig since 1999 and have had no problems at all with it.

Most of our gigs are in a small club and we don't mic instruments, however I've also done quite a few "original" gigs using just the zenTera. The best results have been running it direct.

Have fun!

• Members

Originally posted by Cortfan

For all but the smallest gigs, I use 2 Fender Bassman heads and 2- 2/15 Fender speaker cabs. One on each side of the drummer. That way, the guitatist can hear me, and I have plenty of headroom.

That's seems like a really cool rig. 2-2x15 cabs! What kind of stuff are you doing? What guitar, etc. I want more details.

Archived