what gear would we see Backstage in your section?

• Members

PRS Custom 24

Gibson ES-135 with PAFs

Gibson ES-135 with P90s

Gibson ES-125 with P90s

Yamaha SG1500 tuned for slide

Taylor 750 12-string

Olson 6-string acoustic

Reverend Goblin with SM57 mic

Rivera Suprema with DR. Z Airbrake and SM57 mic

Bose PAS with one sub

And a guitar tech to keep 'em all tuned.

• Members

electric guitars: MIA Strat with Texas Specials and a TBX tone pot(her name is VeeJay)/ MIM Strat with TxSp and a SD Pearly Gates(NOT plus) in the bridge(her name is Ma)/ MIM Tele with Kent Armstrong Vintage Tele pickups, and a four way switch(his name is The Gunny)/ MIK Samick SG copy with Kent Armstrong PAF clones(this guitar has no name, as it belongs to my father and I use it for recording and as a backup mostly)

I have two amps I use. my main live amp is a Marshall TSL60 through a Crate Blue Voodoo slant cab loaded with Vintage 30's. I run on the clean channel and get all my OD/distortion from stompboxes on my pedal board. I do plan on using my head's distortion in the studio for some of the lead with a TS-9 for just a BIT of color on this one tune.....now I'm rambling.....AND a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I use for ALOT of things....and a 1x15 cab I built with a vintage Utah speaker(needs a recone)...:(

what's on my pedal board: Boss TU-2 Tuner>Dunlop Crybaby Wha>Boss SD-1 Superoverdrive>Ibanez SD-9 Sonic Distortion(original, NOT RI)>Ibanez SM-7 Smash Box(EVIL distortion with a noise gate)>Boss CH-1 Super Chorus>MXR Phase 90(RI)>Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer[(RI) used for solo boost]

acoustics: Samick six string, Epiphone 12, and I use my Dad's 72 Yamaha Small Body for things from time to time....nice guitar for studio stuff.

comming SOOOOOON!: Voodoo Labs micro vibe or Dunlop Roto-Vibe....and I may get a Blues Jr. for practce. I am also ALWAYS on the look-out for guitars!

:cool:

• Members

I probably don't have to - the 125 and the 135 w/P90s are somewhat redundant, but the 125 responds to certain songs in a way that the 135 can't. Ditto with the 135 w/PAFs and the PRS, but they have different capabilities on certain songs that I wouldn't want to do without. The slide guitar is irreplaceable (functionally), as are the Taylor and the Olson.

The two amps also have some overlap, but the Goblin has some nice tones I don't use on the Rivera, while the Rivera has switchable channels, which the Goblin doesn't. What's a player to do?

• Members

Here you can see what I used a few weeks ago (I'm on the far right):

DSC00730.jpg

The strat is a MIM Deluxe Seventies Floyd Rose HSS, and the guitar on the stand with the Bigsby is a Gibson SG Deluxe from '71 or '72. The amp on the stand which I'm using is a Hot Rod Deluxe, and the one on the side for back-up is a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.

The Epiphone Alleycat the guy on the left is playing is mine as well (I'm hoping he gets his Joe Pass Emporer fixed so I can use it myself). The Ampeg bass amp is also mine.

Here is a better pic of the strat:

DSC00737.jpg

Since this gig, I've picked up a G&L ASAT Classic semi-hollow honey maple, which I am playing primarily now, with the strat as back-up. So I can leave the more vintage guits at home.

• Members

Usually two of the following three electrics:

American Strat w/Tom Anderson pups

Les Paul Deluxe

Les Paul Standard

Sometimes one of these electrics instead:

PRS McCarty Soapbar w/rosewood neck

1955 ES-225T

Ibanez lawsuit ES-175

mid-80's D'Aquisto (straight-ahead jazz gigs only; this is NOT a versatile guitar)

For an amp I use a Zinky Blue Velvet 25w. I used a Trace Elliot Trident for a long time, but it's gotten too unreliable for regular use. I also use a Blues Jr. for smaller gigs.

FX: George Dennis Wah, Crybaby, Q-Tron, Boss OC-2, Maxon RealTube Compressor, Ibanez TS-5, Maxon FL-9 Flanger, Maxon PT-9 Pro + Phaser, Visual Sound H2O, Danelectro Wasabi Forward/Reverse Delay, Ernie Ball Volume, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

I use a Samson wireless system.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Usually two of the following three electrics:

American Strat w/Tom Anderson pups

Les Paul Deluxe

Les Paul Standard

Sometimes one of these electrics instead:

PRS McCarty Soapbar w/rosewood neck

1955 ES-225T

Ibanez lawsuit ES-175

mid-80's D'Aquisto (straight-ahead jazz gigs only; this is NOT a versatile guitar)

For an amp I use a Zinky Blue Velvet 25w. I used a Trace Elliot Trident for a long time, but it's gotten too unreliable for regular use. I also use a Blues Jr. for smaller gigs.

FX: George Dennis Wah, Crybaby, Q-Tron, Boss OC-2, Maxon RealTube Compressor, Ibanez TS-5, Maxon FL-9 Flanger, Maxon PT-9 Pro + Phaser, Visual Sound H2O, Danelectro Wasabi Forward/Reverse Delay, Ernie Ball Volume, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

I use a Samson wireless system.

nice rig!

• Members

seagullsetup1.JPG

I play the Tres Cubano in a Traditional afro-Cuban Group. I know it doesn't look like much but this really is a dream set-up. the Crate Amp was rated best acoustic Amp by acoustic players magazine for many years in a row. the Fishman Pocket blender is a great acoustic pre-amp that blends sound from my sound board pick-up and the condensor mic inside my guitar. I always bring a back up guitar but I never break strings so I just retune when needed and play with my favorite guitar the whole gig.

• Members

2 or 3 of these:

AllElectrics2005.jpg

Of the above guitars only 2 are not in regular rotation, the Ovation Breadwinner and the Fender Duo-Sonic.

Into one or two of these:

WallOSound2005Annotated.jpg

Sunn200Stubeguitarhead.jpg

risson1982ampedit.jpg

For my main punk rock band I usually use the Sovtek head into the Risson 4x12, but with smaller stages or smaller clubs will use the Kustom 1x15 or the DIY 2x12. For the side roots rock band it's usually the vintage Sunn head into one of thoe same cabs. The Super Reverb is kinda held in reserve.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by machinegun78_2

nice rig!

Thanks! :) I'm in the process of growing the pedal collection. I'll add another eight or so over the next few weeks (as money permits--my car isn't behaving quite how I'd like it to right now :( ).

• Members

I am totally confused.

Why would you have gear backstage, unless you are playing an arena, and need to warm up?

The only gear I keep backstage is guitar/amp cases, and if I'm lucky, a cooler full of adult beverages.

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

I am totally confused.

Why would you have gear backstage, unless you are playing an arena, and need to warm up?

The only gear I keep backstage is guitar/amp cases, and if I'm lucky, a cooler full of adult beverages.

Most of the places I play don't even have a backstage.

But if you were to play a bigger venue (not necessarily an arena, I have played big theatres and other large venues like that where this is true) in a multi-band performance, all your gear is in fact backstage literally, usually set up right behind the opener or preceding band's backline, so it can be moved up into position quickly between sets.

Basically it was just a way to work "backstage" into a generalized rig thread's title.

;)

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Basically it was just a way to work "backstage" into a generalized rig thread's title.

Yeah. Because we needed another 'what junk do you drag to the show' thread. :D

Typing it out reminds me to much of load in/out. And I hate that part.

:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

Yeah. Because we needed another 'what junk do you drag to the show' thread.
:D

Typing it out reminds me to much of load in/out. And I hate that part.

:mad:

I'm glad my guess was correct, it was kinda presumptious of me to answer that question!

But I know what you mean about load-in/out. I have become a big fan of casters in recent years.

;)

BK

• Members

I always have my Black Warmoth Strat with Bill Lawrence pups. It's generally accompanied by one of a variety of HB guitars, often my '78 LP Standard or Gibsonized Epi Flying V with Duncan '59 and Jazz pups. I've also just grabbed an Ash bodied Mexican Tele and put Lollar '52 pups in it, and that'll be coming along as well.

Lately I'm playing more Fender clean than Marshall crunch, so I'm carrying a Fender Deluxe RI (running 6L6's for some additional headroom) and my POD XT and Shortboard. Most of the time I'm bypassing all amp and speaker modelling on the POD and just using the POD effects into the Fender. I use the Marshall JTM-45 Model for my rawk tones.

Beer is either Heineken or Budweiser, and I do not roll without Jack Daniel's and crunchy water to soothe the larynx.

• Members

Personnally, I don't ever see myself needing anything more than what I already have:

Marshall 50w half-stack

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Strat

Shure wireless

Wah pedal

Tuner pedal

I hate load in/load out too, that's why I love my rig: throw the pedals and wire in the milk crate (literally), put wireless received and transmitter back in carry case, roll half-stack to the door (get help from the singer to take if off stage). As for load in, I'm usually ready to rock in 5 minutes.

Anyway, anytime you feel like whining about load in/load out, take a look at your drummer and be glad you're not him!

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

Anyway, anytime you feel like whining about load in/load out, take a look at your drummer and be glad you're not him!

Haha, true dat. My daughter's 12th birthday was yesterday so Monday I had to take her drum set I'd scrounged up (and had been hiding at my office) out to my van, then wait for the kids to be asleep, then haul it all out of the van and set it up next to Wall O' Sound out in the garage @ Casa Krashpad.

Wotta pain.

Worth it for the look on her face the next morning though. Toatal shock and amazement. I'd convinced her that no way in heck was she getting a drum kit.

;)

Pray for me.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

Depends.

The longer my drummer spends packing his crap, the longer I get to wrap his mic cables, so he can eventually help pull down the lights, FOH, monitors, and then push all of it up the truck ramp.

I would NEVER whine if all I had to do was setup/teardown my personal gear.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Haha, true dat. My daughter's 12th birthday was yesterday so Monday I had to take her drum set I'd scrounged up (and had been hiding at my office) out to my van, then wait for the kids to be asleep, then haul it all out of the van and set it up next to Wall O' Sound out in the garage @ Casa Krashpad.

Wotta pain.

Worth it for the look on her face the next morning though. Toatal shock and amazement. I'd convinced her that no way in heck was she getting a drum kit.

;)

Pray for me.

BK

Awwww....you're a good Dad!

Being a glutton for punishment, I bought my daughter a violin...after several years of her getting her technique together to where she no longer sounded like cat being anally probed with a soldering iron, what does she do?

She decided to learn to play my congas and bongoes, and is now my percussionist!...although she does play fiddle on a few Celtic medleys we perform.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Awwww....you're a good Dad!

Being a glutton for punishment, I bought my daughter a violin...after several years of her getting her technique together to where she no longer sounded like cat being anally probed with a soldering iron, what does she do?

She decided to learn to play my congas and bongoes, and is now my percussionist!...although she does play fiddle on a few Celtic medleys we perform.

That's cool! My daughter's already on notice that if her younger brother wants to play the drums she has to share because we don't have room for a second kit.

I reckon between the 2 of them I may end up with a drummer somewhere along the line.

;)

BK

Archived