Two band two-step

• Members

Our bass player plays in a second band. They play out about 4 - 6 times per month while we do twice a month. We had an agreement worked out that we wouldn't book more than 2 gigs per month and we have stuck to that. Those dates were supposed to be supplied to their agent as dates that they were not available. For whatever reason.

Since thay just signed with a local agency they are being thrown the fill-in gigs and cancellations. Which they don't want to turn down or else risk being put on the SL.

So I book a gig for 8 weeks out. Then I get a call from the bassist saying that they (the other band) were thrown a gig at a better venue and he'd rather do that one than ours. I told him that he was already committed that day and he should honor the first one he accepted.

So he suggests a fill-in bassist. Trying to be reasonable I agree - providing he finds a suitable replacement.

Well it's 3 weeks away and still no replacement.

We have rehearsal tonight and I have to know what he is going to do. So I have to bring it up tonight while the four of us are in a room together.

What would you guys do?

Oh, he owns the PA also. Is the writing on the wall? Should I try to get through the next 3 gigs with him (that's all I have booked - because now I feel as though I may not have a bassist or PA) and go to plan B?

How would you guys have handled this?

• Members

Ugh, one of my most un-favorite things, the "people who are in a second band" problem. :mad:

It sounds pretty obvious to me that the other band is your bass player's priority, so yes I think you should bring it up with him, and I also think you should probably start looking for another bass player who is willing to make you guys #1. If you can't even book a gig without knowing whether or not he's going to show up, that's a problem and it's not going to go away. And you don't need somebody to be holding you back or making you feel like you're not that important, that's not good for the band.

So... I guess the immediate issue is to find out whether he is either going to do this already booked gig, or can find you a replacement fill-in ASAP. But I'd be proactive about it and look for someone myself, and start advertising for somebody permanent while you're at it.

• Members

bottom line - he was committed to playing your gig 'cause it was booked first... when his band decided to take that gig, he should be finding a replacement bassist for *their* gig...

When you both agreed that he would find a replacement for your gig, that's fine, but if he doesn't, then it's twice he's screwed you on this same gig... I would tell him that he's showing he doesn't want to be a part of your band anymore, and ask him what he's going to do to change... not apologize, but actually change a behavior.

He won't change anything, and you will have to ask him to leave. Be ready.

• Members

Well, I emailed the other band members the gory details and the singer accidentily forwarded it to our "former" bassist. D'oh!

Of course he's acting like we're blowing it all out of porportion, all kinds of bands use subs, blah, blah, blah. And maybe so. I'm more than willing to work out a network of people who can sub at every position.

But I don't think it should have been put in this situation in the first place. Once you commit to a gig...... do the right thing.

Sooooo, it looks like I'm temporarily bandless. HA!

It's almost a relief. I just want to be a player. I don't want to be in charge. I'll keep taking my lessons, honing my chops, and something will come along eventually.

I have a lot to bring to the table but not experience running a band. Just tell me where we're playing and what songs we're doing. ;)

• Members

If you have a member who is in another band that is much more active than your band, drop that person and find someone else who can dedicate more time to your band.

I personally try to work with people who either have no other band or their other band gigs just as much or less than my band.

• Members

Every good player should have two or three subs in mind. Call me an asshole, but I'm completely into the idea of monetary punishment for guys who do what this guy is doing. Don't feel like finding a sub? Fine. Play the next gig for free.

• Members

YMMV...

I say that up front because, though in this situation I think you were set to do the right thing in calling him on leaving you high and dry, I believe it is important for anyone in a band that isn't a full time proposition to have a network of players to call, either to fill their own position or that of other band members.

Why?

I've lived and worked as a sound mixer in Nashville for the past decade, beginning at Opryland USA. One of my gigs for them was handling 98% of the live sound work booked by Opryland Productions, mostly entertainment for corporate parties, etc.

The booker would sell the client a 5 piece country band, or a 4 piece rock band, or a 3 piece jazz band, etc. Then they'd call one of 3 or 4 musicians known to act as contractors. They, in turn, would hire the band, most times playing in it themselves, too.

Each contractor had regular players they worked with, but the whole scene was rather incestuous. One day you might play in a band with A, B, & C. Next night it might be A, C, D & E.

Of course, most of these people had instances where a better gig came along later on. They had to give it up or find a sub for the first gig. Since they all played in bands together, finding replacements wasn't all that hard. They chose which gig to play carefully so as not to get a reputation as someone who jumped ship every chance they had to make a few extra bucks.

Most times these bands never rehearsed. They were all stocked with musicians who played the same songs for years, and most read the Nashville number system, so even if a songlist had several unknown songs, they'd read 'em.

I understand this isn't the same as playing in a band playing clubs with originals. The prevailing attitude is a band is just that. A band of consistant players. No one wants to go to a show for their favorite band, even local band, only to find a different guitar player, singer, etc.

But if you're only playing twice monthly, I think you should hook up with more than one musician for each position. Even if you have a dedicated "first string", having backups means you can continue to enjoy playing music rather than feel like you're locked into situations where your schedule conflicts with the bands' gigs, regardless of whether it's for another bands' gig or something unrelated.

Not only is it great when your band needs a fill-in, you might end up getting extra gigs (and extra $$$) filling in for someone else's band. ;)

• Members

Take it from someone who plays in more than one situation: when a gig is booked, it's booked! I've turned down gigs that I would rather have played because something came up first. It's a tough thing, but that's the deal. I've seen what happens when a band cancels a show because of aother gig: why would that club owner be happy? They now have to scramble to find another band, and the next time you want a gig, do you think they'll give you the dates you want?

It's just a shame that good bassists are hard to find.

• Members

I'm a bassplayer. I've only missed one gig in 5 years. It was a family emergency. I found a good sub, rehearsed with him twice, gave him a copy of my charts, and even helped the band set up that night, before I had to leave. I let him use my favorite Bassman amp for the gig. I have played with other bands, but I tell them up front, my regular band has first priority. Any double bookings will go to my regular band. Period.

Archived