No announcement yet.

Which Tom Petty Songs?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Tom Petty Songs?

My band has a self-imposed limit of 3 songs by any one artist in our setlist....

So the question is:

Which Tom Petty songs go over the best with the audience?

Mary Jane's Last Dance
    Runnin' Down A Dream
    Breakdown
    Geezer Trooper #222

Comment

M-1 FAN nailed it.
      http://tiny-craft-leathershop.com

Comment

We do Breakdown and American Girl. People dig em.
        Main Guitars: ES339, '73 Tele Deluxe, '73 Guild Bluesbird, '74 Guild S-100C, Heritage H140, G&L ASAT, Rick 330-12, SG Classic, Martin D-1R, Carvin C980

Amps: bassmen heads (BF'65 & SF '67), '68 Champ, '69 VibroChamp, '72 SF NM Super Reverb, '73 Deluxe Reverb, '72 Bandmaster Reverb, Mesa Boogie Studio 22+, Winfield Cyclone head, Traynor YGM-3 & YGM-4, misc. cabs

FX: Fender Reverb Unit, Keeley BD-2, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Dano Fish N' Chips EQ, SD-1, L.R. Baggs PADI

Comment

If you've got a large number of potheads in the audience, do "You don't know how it feels". I used to do that one "acoustic solo" and once in awhile segue it with "Joker" by Steve Miller. Between references to rolling joints and midnight tokers, the potheads ate it up (in between mouthfuls of Doritos, of course).

I now do "American Girl", "Higher Place" (off "Wildflowers") and "Listen to Her Heart" acoustically on a 12 string.

Funny story about "Breakdown". I went and saw Petty a couple years ago at our local large outdoor venue. When he did "Breakdown"...he only sang "It's alright if you love me". Then he shut up.

The audience sang the rest of the song, all 10,000 or so. It was cool

Oh yeah, we used to do "The Waiting" and "Free Falling". It helps to have a Ric 12 string on "The Waiting".

Oh yeah...one of my fave rave bar-doable Petty songs is "I Won't Back Down"
          My Space

Comment

+1 for "Running Down A Dream"

Comment

Originally posted by Tedster
              Funny story about "Breakdown". I went and saw Petty a couple years ago at our local large outdoor venue. When he did "Breakdown"...he only sang "It's alright if you love me". Then he shut up.

The audience sang the rest of the song, all 10,000 or so. It was cool

Exactly. I saw him a couple weeks ago. Great show!!!!!!

Three things stand out in my mind

1 - The audience was mostly in their 20's ----I'm used to seeing the "older" artists fill arenas with much older crowds. Sooo...Tom Petty is still winning audiences for more than "nostalgia" value.

2 - It was by far the biggest crowd I've seen in a LONG time for anybody....Including Stones, McCartney and others that I (previously) thought would be the top drawing artists. Petty equaled or eclipsed them - and as I mentioned - with a much younger audience.

3 - The whole place knew every word to every song. Amazing!!! At times the audience singing drowned out the stage.

I walked outta there thinking we GOTTA do some Petty.

Comment

Most of the outfits I've played with have made an effort to pick good tunes that didn't get a ton of radio play, so we play:

American Girl
                Listen to Her Heart
                I Need to Know
                Wildflowers (acoustic).

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by RupertB
                  Most of the outfits I've played with have made an effort to pick good tunes that didn't get a ton of radio play, so we play:

American Girl
                  Listen to Her Heart
                  I Need to Know
                  Wildflowers (acoustic).

tHaT rOcKZ!!!!

I dig your methodology, and your tunes. "Wildflowers" is a great song, as are the rest...
                  My Space

Comment

We play "You Wreck Me", it's the ONLY song I can sing lead vocals and play all guitar parts good enuff to use as a passable song to add to our list.

Comment

apparently I sound kinda like tom petty at times when i sing

we do kings highway at the start of our 1st set because it's easy enough to get into and get comfortable with.

I'd love to do american girl but it's juuuuuuust out of my range and free fallin is way out of my range.

we used to do wont back down and into the great wide open, might bring one of them back.
                      good deals with: kpd78, kid A, sg1, chucknorris1982, red riviera, pott, heartfelt dawn

Comment

Woman in Love- it went over well the few times we played it.
                        When all else fails,,,,,,,,,,,,twirl.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedster

tHaT rOcKZ!!!!

I dig your methodology, and your tunes. "Wildflowers" is a great song, as are the rest...

Thanks man. It works for us. The downside is that occasionally we'll get excited to learn a new tune we heard on the radio & a month later its completly worn out from radio over-play and no one wants to play it. "How Far is Heaven" is a recent example.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by unichord

Exactly. I saw him a couple weeks ago. Great show!!!!!!

Three things stand out in my mind

1 - The audience was mostly in their 20's ----I'm used to seeing the "older" artists fill arenas with much older crowds. Sooo...Tom Petty is still winning audiences for more than "nostalgia" value.

2 - It was by far the biggest crowd I've seen in a LONG time for anybody....Including Stones, McCartney and others that I (previously) thought would be the top drawing artists. Petty equaled or eclipsed them - and as I mentioned - with a much younger audience.

3 - The whole place knew every word to every song. Amazing!!! At times the audience singing drowned out the stage.

I walked outta there thinking we GOTTA do some Petty.

Coolness. I've probably (OK, definitely ) seen Petty and the Heartbreakers more times than I've seen any other band, because a couple of the Heartbreakers are old friends of mine from back when I lived in L.A. and I saw them at some small club gigs before they were "famous." They were always just a fantastic live band and had great songs. When it came to how to put on a consistently great show, how to pace the set, get the crowd into it, etc. those guys put on a clinic. They're all fantastic musicians too. I became a huge fan and learned a lot from them about how to make a band work.

In the early days I also really dug them because they refused to follow any current trends. Everybody was into punk, metal and disco and the Heartbreakers were just kind of this "classic rock'n'roll band" before that term had even been invented, let alone considered "hip" or marketable. They were thought of as throwbacks to the 60's and they didn't care. They just carried on doing the music they loved and did it really, really well, and people took notice. Still do I guess.

I haven't been as into them since the "Jeff Lynne period" and the subsequent departure of original drummer Stan Lynch, who is still a friend and one of my favorite drummers ever. But I did see them a couple of years ago when they came through here and they were still great... just not as great as they used to be. Yeah, I got spoiled.

But anyway. Hard to go wrong covering a Petty song. "The Waiting" is my personal favorite but there's so much great stuff on all the first 5 albums.
                            What The...?
                            http://www.what-the.com
                            http://www.facebook.com/whattherock
                            http://www.myspace.com/whattherock

Comment

Anything that's Rock and Roll's Fine

Listen To Her Heart

Magnolia

I love the first 2 albums the most.

Please don't do Breakdown. It's a great song but it's been covered to death. Even TP doesn't want to sing it anymore, he let's the audience do it.

Some friends of mine and me stayed up all through the night
                              Rockin' pretty steady til l the sky went light
                              And I didn't go to bed, didn't go to work
                              I picked up the telephone, told the boss he was a jerk

So come baby, let's go, don't you hear the rock n' roll
                              Playin' on the radio sounds so right
                              Girl you better grab hold, everybody's gotta know
                              Anything that' s rock n' roll fine

Comment

Working...
                              X