Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicians that buy cheap gear

What's the deal with musicians that buy cheap gear? I see this a lot especially with people that can afford it. You would think people would want to put their best foot forward but often they don't. Then you get them always fixing gear, sounds like ****************, or it is in the shop, or they are trying to tune constantly on stage.
    "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately it takes some folks a very long time to realize this.
    Band Website - www.tk-421.net

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/TK-421/43220964860

Myspace - www.myspace.com/tk421band

Buy our Noise - TK-421 - CDBaby

Spector Euro 4 > Eden WT800B > Original Ampeg 8x10

Pedals are for bicycles

Comment

Yeah but what a pain in the ass for everyone else.
      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

I cant say anything about whats going on in other countries. But here a cheap instrument is about half of the months paycheck(at on a normal job) and the expencive ones are 2 or 3. Soo a desire + need for an instrument will probably get the best of you.
        Captain Rock Hard and Master Bates

Comment

What bugs me even more is talentless hacks with top notch gear.
          Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

The show, no matter how retarded, must go on. This is why musicians drink so much, alcohol helps them cope with facts by enveloping their brains and auditory senses in a haze of thickly applied B.S.

Comment

Vanlatte has a good point. How many times have you heard the worst sound imaginable from a nice marshall amp and a PRS guitar. Too many people think that gear can substitute for talent. If you suck the best gear in the world won't keep you from sucking!

Max
            What Me Worry?
            http://www.hotboxrox.com/

Comment

The band I play drums in has used (the guitarists trade off on bass) a stock Squier Affinity Jazz Bass to play two years worth of gigs and to record in a professional recording studio.

It never had tuning problems. Or any reliability issues. It even sounds decent.

Comment

Vanlatte has a good point. How many times have you heard the worst sound imaginable from a nice marshall amp and a PRS guitar. Too many people think that gear can substitute for talent. If you suck the best gear in the world won't keep you from sucking!

Max

I know that I was talking about people that should know better. Drummers with ****************ty heads and sticks, keyboard players with casios, and other ****************.

Comment

I know that I was talking about people that should know better. Drummers with ****************ty heads and sticks, keyboard players with casios, and other ****************.

You mean people that really CAN afford better and don't? Or those who just can't seem to make ends meet and struggle with what that have?

If you are talking about the former, usually it's the same person that is unprepared, late to practice/gigs, etc. In other words, another symptom of their overall commitment problem.
                  Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

The show, no matter how retarded, must go on. This is why musicians drink so much, alcohol helps them cope with facts by enveloping their brains and auditory senses in a haze of thickly applied B.S.

Comment

If they buy cheap gear, something else is more important. That should tell you everything.
                    I am ...
                    Words with no voice
                    Vision with no eyes
                    Love with no heart
                    Perfect, if only I didn't exist

Comment

If they buy cheap gear, something else is more important. That should tell you everything.

Ya, you said it better than I did.

Comment

OK, first, it sounds like you are indeed differentiating between "cheap" gear and "inexpensive" gear, but let me clarify; QC does suffer on a budget instrument, but a $300 guitar isn't by definition a bad guitar. I do not own an axe that costs more than $700. My most expensive axe is my TRB bass, and that was only $675 plus accessories. I have an acoustic that came free with the strings, an SG clone I paid $200 for, and a Yammie J-bass that I walked out of the store with for $160, and I wouldn't sell or trade a damn one of em. Talk to most Fender Mexi, Epiphone, Ibby or Yammie owners and they'll tell you they're perfectly happy with their axes, even though they only cost a fourth of that American Strat or Gibson LP Studio.

It also depends on the band. A hardcore band that goes through two guitars a night Pete Townshend style is not gonna be bringing PRS or even Fender Mexi guitars onto the stage unless they have way too much money; they'll have First Acts, Squiers, or SXes.

lastly, most of the guys that should have plenty of money for gear usually do have nice gear; they just leave it at home. As nice as it plays and as cool as it looks on stage, using that expensive rig on-stage simply isn't worth the risk of it getting stolen. Squiers and Crate 2x12s can be had for four or five hundred bucks brand-new, but if your PRS and Marshall half-stack walk off you're out 5 grand easily. I don't care how much money you have; that hurts.
                        Yamaha BB404Fender Mexi Jazz, customizedYamaha TRB-1005Fender Highway-1 Strat, customizedEpiphone Les Paul, Worn BrownTakamine Jasmine acousticTaylor 114ce acoustic/electricPeavey 210TX+ext 2x2x10 comboFender Bassman 150 1x12h comboWhen shopping for an axe, you will probably find yourself negotiating with your checkbook. This is normal, but do refrain from talking to it out loud.

Comment

Ma, it's a tough one - I guess it's important (like said above there) to distinguish between "cheap"and "inexpensive" --or really I guess we might want to think in terms of "servicable"
                          As that's really what we care about

"cheap" can be tough too, if you're into, say guitar rock...a few hundred and you are into a decently good guitar

A usable (and I'm just talking usable) STUDENT 'cello is gonna be, what, maybe 3 grand -- so I not gonna fault that guy for not having a Blanchi or something

Comment

... most of the guys that should have plenty of money for gear usually do have nice gear; they just leave it at home ...

Is that what they tell you? Sure, I believe that. Sounds like those bumper stickers, "My other car is a Rolls Royce".

"I've got a PRS at home but use my Squier at gigs". Yea, I believe that ... NOT.

they'll tell you they're perfectly happy with their axes, even though they only cost a fourth of that American Strat or Gibson LP Studio
                            And I'm perfectly happy paying a fourth of the cover charge and a fourth of the cost of their CD.

Of course, everyone would be perfectly happy with a contracter using cheap tools to build your house while they leave their good tools at home. Oh, and the price of the house stays the same. Happy?
                            I am ...
                            Words with no voice
                            Vision with no eyes
                            Love with no heart
                            Perfect, if only I didn't exist

Comment

I couldn't care less what tools my contractor uses so long as he does a good job and doesn't waste time/money due to his tools breaking.

I do know a lot of people who care more about the monetary value of their music gear than playing it. I know because they come up to me at gigs and just FREAK OUT that I'm playing my '52 Les Paul out at clubs. I can't relate to this mentality - I bought the guitar to play it, not to leave it at home. But it does exist, and there ARE lots of people who buy nice gear and it sits at home while they play cheaper stuff out. I don't get it, but it's pretty common these days.

And I didn't bring the '52 to Europe. Too much risk of it getting banged around or stolen on public transportation, where I can't necessarily keep an eye on it. So yeah, I brought a cheaper guitar, a Les Paul Faded. Still has P90's, still a pretty darned nice guitar in spite of its relatively low price tag.

And I have to agree there's a difference between "cheap" as in bad quality, and inexpensive. If you buy a pawn shop special and keep it well maintained, and it doesn't break down, no one has a right to complain. I've also seen people buy expensive vintage gear and have it constantly break because they don't maintain it properly.

People who don't change their strings, drum heads, check their cables, clean their pots etc. are just being lame. You can do that even with a cheap instrument.
                              What The...?
                              http://www.what-the.com
                              http://www.facebook.com/whattherock
                              http://www.myspace.com/whattherock

Comment

Working...
                              X