Incessent Soloing

• Members

What do you do about guitarists whose solos are exceptionally long, and in some cases clearly not rehearsed. If taking 36 + measures practicing solos at the expense of valuable band practice time wasn't bad enough, both guitarists, who aren't particularly talented, feel that they are entitled to take as much as the other...and once one is done the second one starts again! It goes on endlessly. And they never reciprocate. Occassionally the bassist can squeeze a solo in, but that is about it, and when he's just warming up, they step on him! I've been tempted to put down my sticks and walk off more than a few times, but it is not my style. I support my bandmates and learning, but these guys are taking advantage of the support players. Suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, some people see practice time as jam time. And that isn't necessarily bad - do they do the same thing at gigs? Do they otherwise work reasonably hard at getting the songs down? If so, no harm in letting people have their fun for a bit at practice. But if they overdo it, and especially if they do stuff like this at gigs and bore everybody to tears, then you need to talk to them. It's not really necessary to throw your sticks down or lose your temper... like I say, they're probably just having fun and don't realize other people might find it boring or obnoxious.

I do think that everyone can get into a good jam every now and then, and just because you aren't the one taking a solo doesn't mean you can't get into it and do something very musical. It can help people grow as musicians and help you grow as a band, if you care to look at it that way and not just as an annoyance. But if you really feel they're overdoing it and wasting your time, then you can tell them in a tactful way, like "Well lots of jamming is fun and all, but I'd like to work on and we haven't had time because we're jamming for too long." Or something to that effect.

• Members

What do you do about guitarists whose solos are exceptionally long, and in some cases clearly not rehearsed. If taking 36 + measures practicing solos at the expense of valuable band practice time wasn't bad enough, both guitarists, who aren't particularly talented, feel that they are entitled to take as much as the other...and once one is done the second one starts again! It goes on endlessly. And they never reciprocate. Occassionally the bassist can squeeze a solo in, but that is about it, and when he's just warming up, they step on him! I've been tempted to put down my sticks and walk off more than a few times, but it is not my style. I support my bandmates and learning, but these guys are taking advantage of the support players. Suggestions?

Sounds like guitar newbies. They just need another 20yrs to realize how mudane and retarded they sound

• Members

Very few people can do the whole guitar here solo thing and not bore the {censored} out of me. Typically if it's not something astonishingly amazing I could do without the extended walk down sweep arpeggio lane. In fact, I used to be a total shredder and have completely lost interest in playing scales and whatnot at light speed. I'm all about quality vs quantity. I will say that some people do it very well, but it sucks to pay to see a band and all the dude does is shred and noodle in key.

• Members

What annoys me (and pretty much everybody else who isn't doing it) is when EVERY SINGLE SONG a band plays has one (or more) of those lightning-fast solos that consist ONLY of sweeps, 64th notes, and pinch harmonics. My favorite guitarists (the ones I listen to as well as the ones I play with) all know their {censored}; however, they are dedicated to the song, not the ripping epic guitar wank in the middle of it... thus, they know when to shut the hell up and BACK the band (as opposed to fight it). The rule of thumb, at least as far as I care, seems to be "always leave the audience wanting more".

And even the instrumental cats (Satch, Vai, et al) know when to hang back and let the melody work, and when to tear your face off.

• Members

Some suggestions:

During practice, clearly indicate the number of measures dedicated to each solo. Allow the soloist to double that period during practice. When they violate the rule, stop playing.

Limit jams to one song during each set. Once the magical jam has occurred (if it does), the rest of the set must be tight. This allows spontaneous creatively, but puts a cap on it.

Be prepared to stop playing during your live set.

If the soloist steps on other musicians, step all over the soloist during their special moment. You're the drummer, right? That'll teach him.

You gotta force some discpline, unless you're a total jam band, or the band is ruled by the offending soloist.

• Members

Sounds like you've got 2 guys with massive ego's that are more interested in how *they* sound than how the band sounds. I guess you can either replace them, or point out to them that the rest of you aren't their backing band - and if they don't take that on board, replace them!

Personally, I'd like to think I'm one of those lead guitarists that has enough respect for other musicians/the overall song to know when to let rip and hold back...

Funilly enough, one of my pet hates is drummer that never stop drumming - almost every drummer i've ever played with does this in rehearsal. Doing fills and drum rolls between every take - usually when you're trying to discuss something. Make sure you're not standing in a glass house before you start throwing your stones around ;)

• Members

It seems that the people with the least to say seem to insist on saying it anyway.

How true.

Sometimes after listening to playbacks of my improvs I feel this way ;)

It's not just shredders either that do this - I was in an alt-country band where the lead gtrist basically never shut up (on his instrument). :confused:

It was like endless tepid runs through dorian/mixolydian Dickey Betts territory...

IMO, A solo should have a begginning, middle, and end.

It should use elements of tension of release and dynamics, and it should be memorable and appropriate for the song, and most importantly - it should convey/reinforce emotion.

• Members

Sounds like you've got 2 guys with massive ego's that are more interested in how *they* sound than how the band sounds.

Or 2 guys too lazy to do their homework, who therefore insist on noodling on the bands' time.

The real issue sounds like your band practices lack structure - there is no time for noodling on band time - that kind of thing is best done at home.

• Members

How true.

IMO, A solo should have a begginning, middle, and end.

It should use elements of tension of release and dynamics, and it should be memorable and appropriate for the song, and most importantly - it should convey/reinforce emotion.

+1 This is what seperates the good, bad,average guitarist from the great ones.

• Members

Sounds like you've got 2 guys with massive ego's that are more interested in how *they* sound than how the band sounds. I guess you can either replace them, or point out to them that the rest of you aren't their backing band - and if they don't take that on board, replace them!

Personally, I'd like to think I'm one of those lead guitarists that has enough respect for other musicians/the overall song to know when to let rip and hold back...

Funilly enough, one of my pet hates is drummer that never stop drumming - almost every drummer i've ever played with does this in rehearsal. Doing fills and drum rolls between every take - usually when you're trying to discuss something. Make sure you're not standing in a glass house before you start throwing your stones around
;)

That is why we use a electric kit for practice, all I do is mute the channel and the problem is solved.:thu:

• Members

I've always viewed soloing as storytelling. You start with an introduction, a theme. Then the story dynamically builds tension, arriving to a frenzied climax. No one wants to hear constant, aimless rambling that doesn't get anywhere.

• Members

I try to avoid solos. Or maybe I'm to crappy a songwriter to write one. Either way, do I get some points?! :rawk::rolleyes:

I've actualy never written a SINGLE solo! That will = -points!

you need to be careful as a lead player, not to show off to the point of where the music suffers. If you do, then you're obviously not in it for the music, you're just there to.... look good, or show off or something, I dunno. But it doens't make you a better musician, by demonstrating your technical prowness. The thinking behind music is just as important as technical ability.

I'm gonna write a solo now, my first solo. It's gonna be crap, dudes.

Archived