Desperate musicians only need apply...

RupertB

• Members

Had an interesting conversation with the owner of a small bar/restaruant last weekend.

I was doing a bit of prospecting for solo & duo gigs. The conversation started promisingly enough until he asked "What are you doing this Saturday?"

Me: "This Saturday is already booked, but..."

Him: "Well, what about NEXT Saturday."

Me: "That one is booked as well, you see we..."

Him: "THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME FOR?!"

Me: "Ok, um...good luck." *click* :confused:

I've dealt with some dickheads before but this one pushed the envelope. Only thing I can figure is that he was only interested in booking marginal players who would play for dinner & tips.

• Members

I'm not sure I get it. It sounds like you call this guy looking for work, but when he asks you to play you're never available. At that point I'd get annoyed at you too.

It never would have occurred to me to refrain from prospecting for more gigs because I had a couple of dates on the books. The places I play regularly book 2-3 months out.

• Members

I'm not sure I get it. It sounds like you call this guy looking for work, but when he asks you to play you're never available. At that point I'd get annoyed at you too.

I usually book gigs at least 6 weeks ahead, often a couple months. One venue we schedule a entire year at once. I would never call a place and expect a gig that week, or the next. Like the OP, I wouldn't be available.

Archived