I'm forming an all-girl 60s garage rock cover band. Suggest some songs?

brassic

• Members

That's it really. I want to do a mix of reasonably well known songs and some obscure stuff. Anyone here into that era of music want to share their essential tracks?

Some of mine:

Send Me A Postcard - The Shocking Blue

Complication - The Monks

Have Love Will Travel - The Sonics

Dirty Water - The Standells

You're Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevators

Gotta Get Away - The Blues Magoos

Psychotic Reaction - The Count Five

Spazz - The Elastik Band

Action Woman - The Litter

Pushin Too Hard - The Seeds

• Members

Go google the top 40 songs for years in the 60s. That will give you a good list of groups and songs. Youtube is another good source for brainstorming up songs. Do a youtube search for a certain group. Take a typical 60s group like the byrds or the animals, or the association. That will get you vids of their biggest hits.

• Members

How about some 70's ,The Runaways?

I love the Runaways. We cover Cherry Bomb in my other band, which has a much more glam/glitter rock vibe.

For this one I want to do a straightforward 60s psych/garage rock band. There are several themed nights along with a whole "retro" circuit in my city that we could play. Not much money in it, but I love that style/era of music and there's a good little audience for it.

• Members

early stones ,,, satisfaction, paint it black there is always some chuck berry, the raiders were very famous 60s garage rock ... just like me. steppin stone, hungry are a few off the top. gloria is another. Yardbirds were big , as were the kinks. do you love me , is another classic .. spencer davis group ,, lovin spoonfull , grass roots and even early gee bees.

• Members

early stones ,,, satisfaction, paint it black there is always some chuck berry, the raiders were very famous 60s garage rock ... just like me. steppin stone, hungry are a few off the top. gloria is another. Yardbirds were big , as were the kinks. do you love me , is another classic .. spencer davis group ,, lovin spoonfull , grass roots and even early gee bees.

Yardbirds... That's a good thought. "Stroll On" is one of my favorite songs. Should I be Jimmy Page or Jeff Beck? Haha.

I like the idea of a female vocalist doing Gloria too. I love Patti Smith's version.

• Members

Here's some more for you:

"Incense & Peppermints" - Strawberry Alarm Clock

"96 Tears" - ? and the Mysterians

"She's About a Mover" - Sir Douglass Quintet

"Summertime Blues" Blue Cheer

"Pushin' Too Hard" - The Seeds

"California Sun" - The Rivieras

"99th Floor" - The Moving Sidewalks

• Members

How about some of the bubble gum pop stuff?

Sugar Sugar, Every Beat of My Heart, I Think We're Alone Now, etc, seem like they could skirt the genre

I was doing some research on the net and discovered an interesting fact . Alot of that bubble gum stuff was all just studio creations by the guys that used to be the shadows of night. After the gloria days payed off they put on the mask and cranked out bubble gum music. Yummy yummy ,, and quick joey small and that kind of stuff.

• Members

Here's some more for you:

"Incense & Peppermints" - Strawberry Alarm Clock

"96 Tears" - ? and the Mysterians

"She's About a Mover" - Sir Douglass Quintet

"Summertime Blues" Blue Cheer

"Pushin' Too Hard" - The Seeds

"California Sun" - The Rivieras

"99th Floor" - The Moving Sidewalks

• Members

cooter ,, you left out the monkeys lol. The 60s were an amazing time ,,, music was really moving fast and groups came and went.... The top 40 was a real revolving door that kept bands in a constant process of learning new material if they wanted to stay on top of the game. I mean when you can go from monkeys to blood sweat and tears .. to hendrix in like 4 years ,,, it just illustrates how fast the stuff in the pipe was moving. To do a real 60s band you cant be a one trick pony.

The Monkees weren't a garage band...they were a four guys picked by Hollywood producers. By the time they got around to recording their own music, they were no longer relevent.

You want even more extreme change?

"California Sun" by the Rivieras was in the top 5 in December of 1963.

The Doors, using basically the same-style line up and instruments, released "Light My Fire" just three years later.

• Members

The Monkees weren't a garage band...they were a four guys picked by Hollywood producers. By the time they got around to recording their own music, they were no longer relevent.

You want even more extreme change?

"California Sun" by the Rivieras was in the top 5 in December of 1963.

The Doors, using basically the same-style line up and instruments, released "Light My Fire" just three years later.

True the monkeys were a fictional band,, they only sang the tracks ,, But it was still top 40 on the charts stuff back then ,, so you did I'm a believer.

As for the riveara's Those guys were just a couple years ahead of me in school. They were from south bend indiana. None of them had ever seen california when they charted california sun. Interesting band. Vietnam kept drafting their members so that band was a real revolving door. two guys i know went through that band as lead guitar players. I played in bands with both of their little brothers. california sun was on pretty well every bands set list in 66..... na na neer na na na na neer na na.

Yup .. played them both ,,, california sun and wipe out were the freebirds of the early to mid 60s lol. We played it and hated it

• Members

Moving fast? The song "You Keep Me Hanging On" illustrates that perfectly.

Two totally diverse musical styles of the same song...both big hits only a year apart. First the "Motown" version by the Supremes in 1966 & then the

Vanilla Fudge version in 1967. How could both drastically different styles be such big hits in such a short period of time?

BUt it wasn't speed....it was DIVERSITY.

The following songs all reached number 1 on the charts in 1969.

Build Me Up Buttercup.........................................The Foundations

Come Together..................................................Beatles

Aquarius / Let The Sunshine In..............................5th Dimension

Daddy Sang Bass..(Yes, that's right, Daddy Sang Bass...Johnny Cash

Dizzy...................................................................Tomy Roe

Honkey Tonk Woman...............................................Rolling Stones

I Want you Back....................................................Jackson 5

Leaving On A Jet Plane...........................................Peter, Paul & Mary

Love Theme from "Romeo & Juliet..............................Henry Mancini

Just check out that variation in music styles and genres that all reached the top of the charts that year. Freakin' Beatles, Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and Henry Mancini.....all in the same year!!! You couldn't make that sh..up.

Archived