Help! Classic rock songs for woman singer

jkg

• Members

Can you help me choosing some classic rock songs for a woman singer????

I already have:

Heartbreaker- Pat benatar

Crazy on you/ barracuda- Heart

Zombie-cranberries (not too classic)

Piece of my heart- Janis

i love Rock and roll/ Bad reputation/ hate myself for loving you- Joan Jett

Thanks guys

• Members

Hit Me With Your Best Stuff (Pat Benatar)

Black Velvet (Alanah Myles (not exactly classic rock, but ...)

Bring Me Some Water (Melissa Etheridge ... hmm again, is that rock or what is it?)

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (Fleetwood Mac)

Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac, but listent to Hole version to get a whole new take :thu: )

Walking On Sunshine (Dang, is that classic rock or somefink else?!)

Hey! What's "classic rock"?!

GaJ

(Zombie is a classic in its own time :thu: )

• Members

Our female singer does:

Eagles - Take It Easy - Heart Ache Tonight

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

Janis - Want Somebody To Love

Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama

I wouldn't limit to just female songs - It's pretty cool when she does songs known by male singers and covers them too. I guess it depends on what your looking for.

• Members

Personally.....I wouldn't limit myself to just classic rock, or songs from woman singers only. There is a couple local bands w/ woman singers & they're doing some Zepplin, Journey, GnR, etc. for bands w/ male singers as well as popular country, rock, top40, etc., etc., from woman singers & they're all incredibly popular.

• Members

Don't limit a good female vocal to just the gurl songs. If shes comfortable enough to tacke the guy hits she should go for it. Many, many songs are not gender specific, songs about love, heartbreak, lust, what ever. Its the same story just being told by a woman and not a man. SOmetimes that shift of gender, puts a great new twist on a classic song.

I always wanted our vocalist to do "What is and should never be" (zep) Starting off all coy and quiet like, then crashing into the chourus full steam ahead....

Have fun

• Members

Don't limit a good female vocal to just the gurl songs. If shes comfortable enough to tacke the guy hits she should go for it. Many, many songs are not gender specific, songs about love, heartbreak, lust, what ever. Its the same story just being told by a woman and not a man. SOmetimes that shift of gender, puts a great new twist on a classic song.

Hell yes. A couple that I used to back a female on were:

Hot Legs

You Shook Me (All Night Long)

I was never a particular fan of them, but they NEVER tanked, and she kicked major butt on 'em.

• Members

Bring Me Some Water (Melissa Etheridge ... hmm again, is that rock or what is it?)

Rock or not, we did it last weekend and it went over fantastic. I'm always on the lookout for 12 string tunes to play.

Joan Jett?

Her cover of "Everyday People" is fun to play.

A suggestion (just my opinion): don't have your vocalist do vocal gymnastics on every song. It creates aural overload for the audience. Sometimes the softer bits are more emotive (and tougher to pull off well) than belting. Try Dog & Butterfly instead of Magic Man. Then back to a rocking dance tune.

• Members

Can you help me choosing some classic rock songs for a woman singer????

I already have:

Heartbreaker- Pat benatar

Crazy on you/ barracuda- Heart

Zombie-cranberries (not too classic)

Piece of my heart- Janis

i love Rock and roll/ Bad reputation/ hate myself for loving you- Joan Jett

Thanks guys

You're No Good - Linda Rondstat is a good cover I've done in the past. Like the Way I do, by Mellissa Etheridge is killer. White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane works sometimes too.

Just find whatever songs she sings well and do them guy vocal or girl....

• Members

My wife ( keyboard /vocals) killed them on the weekend with Midnight Special, (John Fogarty version)These Boots ( out into the crowd with long, tall black boots and attitude) and Sharp Dressed Man, where she nabbed some poorly-dressed sucker and got him up into a cape, a cane, and top-hat. She got him to strut around which was a big hit with the ladies. Crowds love this stuff. She also did, Poison Ivy (always big) and Whiter Shade of Pale. Be creative ( skip the girl stuff)

• Members

"Middle of the Road" by the Pretenders always goes over great when my band plays it, and we don't even have a female vocalist. Works best if you have a harmonica player, though.

If you're playing for crowds that like 80's stuff, try the GoGos and the Bangles (their version of Hazy Shade of Winter rocks)

• Members

I'd ask yourself the opposite question: Which songs could a woman absolutely not get away with singing? (Assuming she's a rocker)

I don't recommend 'Killing in the name of,' although there's probably some woman out there who could get away with it. I do Mother's Little Helper and Life ain't so {censored}ty (blind melon), but only for selected audiences. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing those songs at the brewaries/wineries, though.

• Members

Wow...Just looked over our list and realized that our female singer has been largely responsible for the new stuff, while the male singer does more classic rock. She does do a few classics, but they're not really "girl singer" songs:

Hard To Handle

Addicted To Love

Use Me

Tumblin' Dice

Poor Poor Pitiful Me

I Want You To Want Me

Dancin' With MySelf

..although Linda Ronstadt, Lindsey Lohan and the Donnas have done a bunch of these too.

Archived