Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Unique Stage Set Ideas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Stage Set Ideas

I've really been thinking lately about making our stage shows more of a visual experience, besides us just rocking out and looking good.

Here's some ideas I've thought up, and I'd like to hear your thoughts, or if you've got some cool ideas to contribute. Realize these are a lot of brainstormed ideas, and don't neccessarily have any musical contribution, I just want to try different, wacky things.

-have old tv's all over the stage, on the amps, on the drum riser, spread around... all the tv's either showing the same video clip or just having static while we play.

-have someone 'playing the lights' in the band. have lights, strobes, floods set up around the stage, and have a light guy as a member of the band who is creating visual lighting atmosphere while we play {(a good example is Fear Before the March of Flames)

-building a set. I heard some people discussing the idea of building some sort of set pieces that would fit onto the amps and the cabs, even the drum set and on stage to make it look like buildings , possibly something like destroyed buildings. This is something I've really wanted to look into, just a set not neccessarily the buildings thing, so I'd love to hear ideas on this

-trees and plant life all over the stage, to make it look like we're playing in forest or something

Come on! I'm serious about this! give some ideas out!
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Listen to the music I make, then pass your judgement:<br />
    <b>Paxtin</b><br />
    <a href="http://www.myspace.com/Paxtin" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/Paxtin</a><br />
    <br />
    <font size="1"><i><font size="2">run for your life, cover your eyes, I don't want you to see me party this hard.<br />
    I've got a bone to pick with the morning sun and the first last call <br />
    but I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing, so if I'm going home alone I ain't going at all.</font></i></font></div>

One word: Stonehenge.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Verdana"><font size="1"><br />
    <a href="http://www.texasbluesroadhouse.com/" target="_blank"><b>Proud Member of the Texas Blues Roadhouse - The Home of Texas Blues. Click HERE for info.</b></a><br />
    </font></font></div>

Comment

Dude, that sounds like a lot of work, of course I am lazy. I would say if you want to invest the time and money, then go for it. I like the destroyed buildings idea since you could make it from smaller pieces that you later assemble on stage, and that you could probably make it from something lightweight. The TV thing sound like a bunch of heavy lifting, broken glass, an overtaxed electrical supply, and interference with wireless units, etc. to me. Either way, I like your enthusiasm. Best of luck.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">--------------------------------------------------<br />
      <font size="2">anonymous HC review - &quot;<i>this amp produced a distorted sound that is most comparable to a frightened duck trying to quack its way out from an aluminum foil cage</i>&quot;</font></div>

Comment

Dude, that sounds like a lot of work, of course I am lazy. I would say if you want to invest the time and money, then go for it. I like the destroyed buildings idea since you could make it from smaller pieces that you later assemble on stage, and that you could probably make it from something lightweight. The TV thing sound like a bunch of heavy lifting, broken glass, an overtaxed electrical supply, and interference with wireless units, etc. to me. Either way, I like your enthusiasm. Best of luck.

I know I can get people to help out with the setup issue, I'm not too worried about that one, it won't take up any extra time.

I hear what you're saying about the tv's though. one tv falls and breaks, and it's bad news.

Send any ideas you have, I think with any idea there's going to be problems that need to be dealt with, but this is a labor of love for me, so I don't mind working through the issues, in fact, I rather like it.

BY THE WAY
        my band released a new track on our myspace. if you can get there... go listen!
        www.myspace.com/DearStrangerMusic the track is called 'selling lies'
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Listen to the music I make, then pass your judgement:<br />
        <b>Paxtin</b><br />
        <a href="http://www.myspace.com/Paxtin" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/Paxtin</a><br />
        <br />
        <font size="1"><i><font size="2">run for your life, cover your eyes, I don't want you to see me party this hard.<br />
        but I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing, so if I'm going home alone I ain't going at all.</font></i></font></div>

Comment

So I was listening to your song "selling lies," which I liked by the way. The beginning of the song reminded me of an air raid and I was digging the destroyed buildings thing and maybe mini search lights in the back of a drum riser. But then I was thinking if you make a specifically "themed" stage set (like destroyed buildings), will the music match it? Is that a concern? Maybe you should be thinking of something more general in nature? Just some thoughts.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">--------------------------------------------------<br />
          <font size="2">anonymous HC review - &quot;<i>this amp produced a distorted sound that is most comparable to a frightened duck trying to quack its way out from an aluminum foil cage</i>&quot;</font></div>

Comment

You must be playing stages that are lot bigger than the ones I usually see. Many of the stages we get stuck on present a big enough challenge trying to fit 6 musicians and our gear on. I can't imagine trying to figure out how to squeeze "props" onto stage as well.

Good luck!
            The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
            www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
            Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
            Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

One word: Stonehenge.

LOL That and you can get an inverted cymbal. Fill it up with some kerosene, light it up, and get a drunken friend to bang the **************** out it.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Shot From Guns<br />
              <a href="http://www.shotfromguns.wordpress.com" target="_blank">www.shotfromguns.wordpress.com</a> - New updates!<br />
              <br />
              The Artful Dodger - <br />
              <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/theartfuldodger" target="_blank">www.soundclick.com/theartfuldodger</a><br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              &quot;Business acumen, institution building, and shrewd political maneuvering are the only way to protect conscious artistry.&quot;<br />
              <br />
              &quot;The more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the solid state crystal lattice. Maybe it just comes down to that.&quot; - the wise Alexander Dumble</div>

Comment

[COLOR="DarkRed"]On the weekend, we found out from another band who came to check us out that it was our 'light show' that was getting the buzz. We forgot to turn it on that night. Duh!
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="DarkSlateGray">&quot;Play the music, not the instrument&quot; </font><font color="DarkSlateGray">Link Wray</font></div>

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work to pull off.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.buyusedguitars.net" target="_blank"><b>buy used guitars</b></a> - buy used guitars, used amplifiers, and more.</div>

Comment

LOL That and you can get an inverted cymbal. Fill it up with some kerosene, light it up, and get a drunken friend to bang the **************** out it.

Flaming Lips?

Btw, I once saw the TV-as-stage-prop thing, from a popular-singer songwriter here in Qu
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed">Good deals: cpage86, H.R. Shove and Stuff, lank81, Crxsh, Agreed, izesca, thisISjoel, Dr. Picklebottom, sameoldbluesman, themeanreds, Andy315, O'Rourke, dcindc, kgraber, djfrank, CicadaSilence, zygoat, jimihalen, Pointer, letsgocoyote</font></font></div>

Comment

wait... explain that?

Doesn't that... you know.... start everything in close proximity on FIRE?!
                      <b>Paxtin</b><br />
                      <br />

Comment

Do you have a backdrop? We recently have one made for us, with a black background, and it really changes the look of the stage for the better. It's great to hide beer ads or stupid stuff bar owners put on the walls to "decorate" their room, and make our stage presence more professional.

Where did you go to get something like that done? How much did it set you back?

that would be awesome.

what other ideas have you seen that worked?
                        <b>Paxtin</b><br />
                        <br />

Comment

Single-color vinyl banners don't quite look as professional as full-color or fabric backdrops... keep in mind whatever you do, you want it to look good!

When we play more party-type gigs (where we don't need to or want to give the appearance of professionalism), we hang this behind us:

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !</font><br />
                          <br />
                          <br />
                          <font size="1"><i>Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM</i></font></div>

Comment

I would like to get one of those giant fabric ones. They look MUCH better
                            <b>Paxtin</b><br />
                            <br />

Comment

I think that this idea has been used to good effect. Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, David Bowie etc. were among the first to combine stage theatrics. Later bands came up with a signature stage set, like Poison's garbage cans, Twisted Sister's chain link fence, etc. I think that the theme should fit with the music that you are doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X