Adding a seat to a cargo van

• Members

Hey, our band is hitting the road in about a week. We are a trio, but we're traveling in a cargo van that currently only has two seats. Are there cheap ways to add a back seat? Is there a way to secure a small couch or chair in the back?

We're in MI where backseat passengers over 16 are not required to wear safety belts.

• Members

Buy an actual bench or bucket seat and drill thru the floor. Then secure it with grade 8 bolts and loads of threadlocker.

That should just about do it. If you know someone who can do welding work, that's another option. And hit the junkyards for a cheap seat.

Also, there are obvious safety concerns that I'm not going to delve into. Try to at least set up a lap-belt for the third passenger.

• Members

hey, thank you for the replies. I think we're going to hit the junk yard and bolt down an actual car seat wtih a safety belt.

Good call. There are plenty of bench seats and "sofa beds" that you can pull out of conversion vans too, which would actually be quite comfy. Our van is a "conversion" in the front half with a fold out sofa bed behind the front driver and passenger seats, and cargo in the rear half.

Definitely make sure everybody has a seat belt, and that you put a divider wall between yourselves and the cargo compartment. The divider can mean the difference between life and death, or severe injury and none. You don't even have to get in a wreck to get severely injured by your gear - all it takes is a hydroplane or having to slam the brakes on quickly, or even going over a good sized pothole.

You should be able to locate a metal divider screen in any cargo/utility van at the junkyard.

• Members

In my old band we took an old cable repair van and welded in a bench seat in. One thing we also did was weld in a metal wall between the seat and the cargo area so that no sudden stops would beam us in the back of the head with gear.

Archived