Springsteen halftime show

MartinC

• Members

It took me a while to get Bruce. I really didn't care for his music. Couldn't understand the fuss. Then, sometime in the 80's sombody played me a live tape. He sang " Me and crazy Jane was making love...." and I heard at least 200 women swoon in the audience. So I got it. A while back, I saw one of his concerts on TV. It was amazing. His musical director really understands how to use dynamics in a rock concert. Great arrangements. They destroyed the place.

But....the halftime show left me cold. All that running around and being out of breath. My daughter was into musical theatre when she was younger. At about 11 years old, she did a solo vocal and tap dance. She was great , but the excitement and the dancing left her out of breath during one verse. We love it, but she can't watch it.

Last year Tom Petty stood there and sang, let his great songs and the great playing of his band do the talking. I loved it. But Bruce's power slide reminded me of Tenacious D. He's got some great songs, but the vocal was weak IMO. Still got a great band, but maybe 12 minutes isn't the best way to show it. I wasn't crazy about Prince's halftime show, but have to acknowledge he threw down. He still has the physical condition and energy to do that kind of show. Maybe Bruce does too, maybe playing to the biggest TV audience in his career got to him. Can't blame him for that. But, my daughter, now 22, listened without knowing who he was, and after hearing him for 5 minutes, said "this guy sucks". I was underwhelmed by him too.

Finally, having little steven play an inaudible "solo" while you have Neils Lofgren doing nothing in the back is lame.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never been a big fan of Bruce either. I thought the show started off extremely strong, then it seemed like he ran out of gas after "Born to Run." I hate seeing singers out of breath when they perform-if you're gonna play live, you've got to have the stamina to finish strong. I saw James Brown perform when he was in his late 50's, and his energy was incredible-so age is no excuse. Also, doing his new song ("Workin' on a Dream") in the middle of the set seemed to really kill the momentum and they never really got it back. Little Steven has gained a lot of weight and was singing out of tune on "Glory Days". All in all, pretty disappointing.

• Members

I agree...I thought the show was pretty sad. Bruce was trying so hard he almost blew a gasket, and yet his attempts at energy just came off as flailing on that ludicrous Super Bowl stage. Bruce just isn't the right kind of guy for that sort of gig. The whole earnest, man-of-the-people thing doesn't really work when you're standing at the 50 yard-line on a glorified parade float.

I, for one, wish the half-time show would slide back into blissful obscurity where it belongs. Prince is really the only artist I've ever seen who really pulled it off well.

• Members

Really? I've never been a 'Bruce' fan. Growing up in and near New Jersey, it's hard to find anyone that hasn't been to at least 10 Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen. I respect him as a songwriter... and I like the stuff off 'The River'... but I've never seen him live nor do I own any of his albums. Friends of mine RAVE about his shows, and I'm sure live is much better than the albums.

I was pretty blown away by him last night. I was expecting his dull "Tunnel of Love", stand there and let the paint dry performance. Instead I saw him more alive than I ever remembered him. Was it over the top? Absolutely. Was I worried he would hurt himself? Yes... especially with the power slide. It was a bit ridiculous and out there... but the band sounded great and all I kept thinking was "this guy is 59???" :eek:

So I'll give him props for going out there and almost killing himself to create a great show. As far as being out of breath... almost all live footage I've seen of him has him gasping for air... I mean isn't that part of his 'husky' style. I liked the Tom Petty show and Prince... but I'll remember this Springsteen performance for years to come. In fact... I think I just might buy tickets to see him tour this summer. :thu:

• Members

I've never really been a Springsteen fan. I can't say I hate his stuff, but I think it's just very dull. His best songs all seem very 80s to me in a way that I don't like.

I thought the performance was pretty uninspiring. Of the 15 or so people I was watching the game with 2 or 3 people really liked it, but most were ignoring it.

I've never understood the point of having that many people on stage playing rock songs. It fills up all of the space in the music without actually adding any interesting elements. Cut that band down to 5 or 6 people and I think the performances would actually have a lot more life.

• Members

i might disappoint some people here but i thought he was awful last night :(

it was too corny, too over the head of the younger generation, and just plain bad, IMHO.

i thought journey was much better than springsteen (although i only caught one song).

sorry guys, i know he's very respected and what not, but i thought his performance was weak (and i love the new song from the wrestler).

-PJ

• Members

I think what ol' Bruce was trying to convey to the worldwide audience of a billion or so was intensity. He was showing it in his face and he was running around and jumping and sliding like he was 18. I think that's what he was TRYING to do, even at the expense of it diminishing the actual performance. I bet much of the world feels his act is still pumped with energy even after all these years and that the man is not over the hill, as many may have thought.

I bet he sells out a lot of tour dates because of that performance. People go to see live acts to be entertained! If they wanted to hear it in its best format, they'd buy the CD.

By the way, I always could take or leave the Boss, he's had a few songs I really liked, but I generally don't go looking for his stuff when i want music.

But I came away saying DAMN I wish I had that kind of energy NOW, much less at 60 or whatever.

• Members

Haha I knew there would be haters on this board. Those songs he played were from 1975 (Tenth Avenue Freezeout and Born To Run), Glory Days from 1982 plus the new one which did not fit in. First of all you don't get a soundcheck at that gig. I don't know what a lot of people expect. Also they took out verses out of the songs. I would like to see some people on this board do a show like that with all that pressure. A lot of bigtime fans like myself were scared that it would not be a good fit over on backstreets.com. I will tell you one thing it was all done live which no one does at the Superbowl. He has one of the best bands in the business for a band of his vintage. Journey was a charicture of themselves.

• Members

I was pretty blown away by him last night. I was expecting his dull "Tunnel of Love", stand there and let the paint dry performance. Instead I saw him more alive than I ever remembered him. Was it over the top? Absolutely. Was I worried he would hurt himself? Yes... especially with the power slide. It was a bit ridiculous and out there... but the band sounded great and all I kept thinking was "this guy is 59???"
:eek:

+10000

Bruce's halftime show knocked my socks off - I thought it was extremely entertaining and one of the best I've ever seen.

• Members

Haha I knew there would be haters on this board. Those songs he played were from 1975 (Tenth Avenue Freezeout and Born To Run), Glory Days from 1982 plus the new one which did not fit in. First of all you don't get a soundcheck at that gig. I don't know what a lot of people expect. Also they took out verses out of the songs. I would like to see some people on this board do a show like that with all that pressure. A lot of bigtime fans like myself were scared that it would not be a good fit over on backstreets.com. I will tell you one thing it was all done live which no one does at the Superbowl. He has one of the best bands in the business for a band of his vintage. Journey was a charicture of themselves.

I thought he sounded and played fine, with a lot of energy.

• Members

I for one, am a fan, but I do agree that it was way over the top. But it's the Superbowl, how do you NOT go overboard? It's funny, I saw a thread over on another board asking if anyone thought it was lip-synced. Are you kidding me? I suspect the power-slide-into-the-camera racked ol' Bruce pretty good and that affected the rest of his vocal performance, lol. Regardless, I think he did a good job. I mean, he's an American treasure, up there with Dylan and Willie Nelson. Who cares about the Superbowl?

• Members

I'm not a huge "Boss" fan. I didn't like them at all when they first hit the charts back in the 70's. But an appreciation of his music & especially of his band grew over the years.

Last night I commented, "Bruce can still bring it, can't he?" meaning the energy at the beginning. Then a bit later I commented, "Oh, oh. The boss is running out of gas, haha. Hope that vein bulging in his forhead doesn't pick tonight to pop....in front of 180 million people or whatever". Everyone laughed, but I was really afraid for him. All in all, Bruce did just fine.

Why doesn't he take more advantage of Nils Lofgren ? That could have been

"any guitar player" up there with him, but it's not. It's freakin' Nils Lofgren!!

• Members

I thought it was pretty good. Considering that I have never liked Bruce Springsteen. Over the top? Maybe but it was the superbowl after all. So what if he was out of breath. He had a lot of energy. But I guess it was about as good of a filmed performance I have ever seen by him. Like I said, I don't really like him. He always seems out of breath to me. He seems really stiff the way he plays, somehow I always think he makes playing music look hard or even painful.

I'm no football fan, so all I watched was the halftime show and replays of that one catch. When did Journey perform? This time? Before the game? Missed that. Would seem a shame to see them without Perry, tho I hear the new singer does him justice...

• Members

I enjoyed his performance on 10th Avenue Freeze Out.

If you look on YouTube at any of Bruce's performances of 10th Avenue Freeze Out from the 70's to now, they are all over the top. It was usually the first of 3 encores and was at the end of 3+ hours of performance.

He's always been more of a powerful performer than a beautiful singer, imho.

No questions about lip syncing, either, and at least he didn't feel the need to slip a nip. ;)

• Members

+10000

Bruce's halftime show knocked my socks off - I thought it was extremely entertaining and one of the best I've ever seen.

I called it that Petty lip-synched last year - and was BORING as hell to boot. This year - who {censored}ing cares if "the young ones" didnt get it? Its rock n roll attitude. When you want someone in their 50s or older to "hit the youth audience you get Puff Daddy & Jimmy Page. I'll take Bruce's show 24/7/365 eternal. Period.

• Members

oddly enough, the lip synching at the superbowl topic came up late last year in my jazz ensemble.

Through 3rd or 4th hand word, some folks who played in one of the marching bands for last year's game in Houston, they were all playing to a track. Apparently, the sound is so bad, they run a CD, and all the bands were told they didn't actually have to play their instrument.

As for whether I believe it, dunno. It's plausible. I went to the Houston livestock and Rodeo (at the Astrodome) a few years back, and saw one of the shows. The sound was just awful. I have no doubt that a facility that wasn't build for bands has bad sound, and a lousy PA.

As for The Boss's show, I saw it at a party. The volume was low enough, I couldn't identify a single song. Unfortunately I also so the crotch-cam power slide. Sux to be the camera man.

• Members

There seems to be a lot of people talking about his energy and intensity. Have any of you been to a high energy punk, hardcore, or metal show? I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but a lot of those bands do take the energy several notches past where Bruce was while also playing very well at the same time. I just don't think his act really qualifies as high energy any more.

• Members

There seems to be a lot of people talking about his energy and intensity. Have any of you been to a high energy punk, hardcore, or metal show? I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but a lot of those bands do take the energy several notches past where Bruce was while also playing very well at the same time. I just don't think his act really qualifies as high energy any more.

:lol:

If you've gotta compare him to meth'ed out coked out punk rockers in order to make a point about his lack of energy.....:facepalm:

Archived