Are you having trouble selling gear?

mstreck

• Members

Yeah I am not even trying..hoping the economy improves. i have geen wathcing the gear page etc and you have to price things ridiculously chep to get anything to move.. So since i am not deperate i am trying to see if things improve but it sems like it is going to be awhile.

• Members

I've had good luck selling gear to people within the large company where I work. They have a "buy and sell" newsgroup on the intranet and also a monthly publication put out by the credit union.

A surprising amount of people here dabble around in music or have children or other family members that do.

Just since last summer I've sold an Ibanez guitar, Korg synth, Yamaha DD55 drum thingie, Lexicon MX200 and perhaps a couple other things. Things that don't move go up on eBay where it's pretty certain they'll sell.

The things I've listed aren't particularly expensive but it's nice being able to move stuff that's just taking up space. When I've upgraded or just don't use something anymore I'll price it to sell because otherwise it sits around taking up space and/or losing even more value.

I do have one {censored}ty sale story that is currently still in process though. I listed an M-Audio 2496 sound board that I've had for several years on the posting board, waited for a while and after not generating interest I went ahead and posted it on eBay. It sold.....to a 0 feedback person who turned out to be a deadbeat. After the appropriate amount of time I posted a case and then later closed the case and re listed.

Wouldn't you know it.....another 0 feedback stiff won it and didn't pay. Oddly, after two days of waiting on deadbeat #2 I get an e-mail at work from a guy who belatedly saw the ad and was interested.

I told him the whole story and in a couple more days when I can close the case on deadbeat #2 I hope he'll still be interested!

• Members

its gotta be priced right. Your stuff, no offense seems a bit expensive. People want good deals.

The stuff in my sig? What would be more reasonable prices?

The Yamaha is in pristine condition and over $300 less than I paid for it new. The Marshall is almost like new and priced $200 less than I've seen it anywhere else (for a used one).

But I'm also trying to sell off some cheap PA equipment (JBL, Mackie, Behringer) for next to nothing - and no one's biting.:idk:

• Members

Yes... it's not easy in this depressed economy and in my opinion if you really want to get rid of gear, price it to sell and be prepared to take a loss. What's priced to sell... maybe 50% less than what you paid for it.

Your competing against three things...

#1- Manufacturers have lowered prices in recent years... so the item that you purchased for $1000 with x-capabilities can now be purchased for $600 new with more capabilities. I see it all over the recording, synth, and PA marketplace. Guys looking to sell used PA cabs for 20-30% less than what they paid for them when newer cabs WITH warranties are within striking distance of the same price.

#2-Retailers offereing EZ pay programs. Why would I spend $900 on a used Triton Extreme when I can buy a brand new M50 for $1200 in five seperate payments over the next 5 months. The price to entice me for that Triton suddenly dropped to the $500-600 range. Will the seller budge. Nope.

#3- The marketplace is flooded with gear right now. Mostly overpriced used gear.

Just looking at my local Craigslist ads a 1988 Korg M1 is asking $800:eek:. $400 in pristine condition would be closer to ground zero.

A guy selling two JBL G10's unpowered at $400 a piece :facepalm:... that price should be for the pair.

A 5'x3' trunk style road case (heavily abused by looking at the pic) is $450... when you could have a custome made case at $300.

Know your market, whether there are buyers out there looking for YOUR gear and what the bottom of the market will support. I've seen the same high priced listings floating around for over a year for now. If it were me I'd cut my losses and move on.

• Members

The stuff in my sig? What would be more reasonable prices?

The Yamaha is in pristine condition and over $300 less than I paid for it new. The Marshall is almost like new and priced $200 less than I've seen it anywhere else (for a used one).

But I'm also trying to sell off some cheap PA equipment (JBL, Mackie, Behringer) for next to nothing - and no one's biting.
:idk:

The Yamaha is discontinued... A laptop running Logic or Cubase along with a $300 Firepod is a more affordable recording solution. It's not overpriced... it's just obsolete.

Years ago I purchased an 8 Track Sony MD recorder for $1200... 6 years later I sold it for $250. Yes time is unkind to hardware recording solutions.

• Members

not really. The last stuff I put on Ebay did really well. I am having a much harder time finding stuff, regardless of price. Its like nobody is even bothering to sell anything.

This is the same for me... or they are selling and I'm not even saving enough money to make it worthwhile to buy it used. Items I am currently looking at are PA gear and a Gibson SG Classic. The SG Classic for example is going for around $850 used when I can get a new one for a case for $1000.

• Members

The Yamaha is discontinued... A laptop running Logic or Cubase along with a $300 Firepod is a more affordable recording solution. It's not overpriced... it's just obsolete.

Years ago I purchased an 8 Track Sony MD recorder for $1200... 6 years later I sold it for $250. Yes time is unkind to hardware recording solutions.

This here is your big problem. I work for a Pro Audio retailer, and unfortunately, many recording systems take a freakin dive as soon as they're released. Too many manufacturer's putting out the same things. And like WG said earlier, you're also competing with price drops on new items.

• Members

This here is your big problem. I work for a Pro Audio retailer, and unfortunately, many recording systems take a freakin dive as soon as they're released. Too many manufacturer's putting out the same things. And like WG said earlier, you're also competing with price drops on new items.

Ugh. So I'm looking at more like $250 for the Yamaha?

The Marshall is a friend's, so I can't play with the price.

Thanks, guys! That helps!

• Members

Ugh. So I'm looking at more like $250 for the Yamaha?

The Marshall is a friend's, so I can't play with the price.

Thanks, guys! That helps!

I wouldn't say $250... but certainly $400-500 is a place to start. I just don't know anyone who would spend $800 for a hardward 8 input recording device when a laptop can do the same thing.

Remember depreciation is not what you perceive what it's worth... it's what fills the need and what people are wiling to pay for it.

• Members

Here's another tip. If you've ever sold anything on eBay perhaps you've seen the little drop option titled 'What's It Worth' (or similar). You paste in your item and eBay gives the average price the item has been selling for. I've found this to be uncannily acurate.

• Members

Here's another tip. If you've ever sold anything on eBay perhaps you've seen the little drop option titled 'What's It Worth' (or similar). You paste in your item and eBay gives the average price the item has been selling for. I've found this to be uncannily acurate.

Nice! I didn't know they added that feature. Thanks!

• Members

I wouldn't say $250... but certainly $400-500 is a place to start. I just don't know anyone who would spend $800 for a hardward 8 input recording device when a laptop can do the same thing.

Remember depreciation is not what you perceive what it's worth... it's what fills the need and what people are wiling to pay for it.

Yep, especially when brand new hardware 8-tracks, even with CD burning capability and 40GB HD's nowadays can be had for an average of $400 - $600, $800 can probably get you a high-end 16 track recorder.

• Members

Hey Mike, I've been trying to unload a marshall half-stack and acoustic guitar on CL for a while. I haven't listed it on fleabay simply because I'm not willing to get into the shipping and receiving nightmare that comes with music gear, especially a heavy amp.. best to keep it local, although, there is a huge scam going on in my area, that I suspect is a local pawn shop-

for many *desirable* listings, like brand name stuff - let's say you post a sale for a metallic blue / white 1995 american strat, great condition, and a fair price at $1000 (**dunno if that's accurate, so gear snobs please don't correct me :p Just using that price as an example!)

The next day another seller just HAPPENS to have a 1994 american strat green white or whatever.. but CLOSE to the same descript as yours.. for $600 !! pic too! How resourceful!

Last time I listed my ovation, THREE ads for almost the identical guitar popped up, for HALF the price I was asking.

Over the last six months, as I've posted my marshall half-stack, either a higher wattage ro better model marshall has popped up the same or next day, and at a slightly lower price.

In every case, they ensure you don't get ANY real offers on your gear, so where do you go to sell your gear when you get desperate?

Occam's razor.

(edit) just realized my posting in my sig expired again argh.. I'm never gonna sell this stuff.

• Members

Yep, especially when brand new hardware 8-tracks, even with CD burning capability and 40GB HD's nowadays can be had for an average of $400 - $600, $800 can probably get you a high-end 16 track recorder.

My digital 8-track has a 40GB HDD, masters in WAV and exports the master(s) or track(s) in WAV via USB. Bought it new for $299 back in 2007.

Technology just got cheap, fast. It's a shame, but at the same time, worked for me, I can do quick and easy scratch tracks by only pushing a button, export, convert to mp3 via my laptop and send to rest of band, whole process takes less than 10 minutes.

• Members

Last time I listed my ovation, THREE ads for almost the identical guitar popped up, for HALF the price I was asking.

Honestly, I think a lot of times people have stuff lying about, and forget about selling it. Your ad reminds them, and they realize they can take a bigger hit on price, so why not under cut you? Happens all the time on the DC CL.

I can't sell gear to save my life around here these days, and the regional unemployment rate is ~6.5%. For someplace more private business dependent, or being rocked by the housing dive, it's gotta be even worse. I AM doing a lot of horse trading though. Some times I come out ahead, sometimes I take a bath, but I usually at least getting rid of something I have tried but am dissatisfied with for some thing new I want to try (and quickly get dissatisfied with all over again :))

• Members

i sold a ton of stuff in second half of 2009, all via Craigslist. The keys:

1) You have to be persistent. Some stuff sells right away, some sits for months. It's a matter of waiting for someone with the need for what you're selling and the money in his pocket to find your ad. I re-listed unsold items every six or seven days. I rewrite the ads periodically to keep readers from dismissing repeated ads out of familiarity.

2) Some will argue with this, but it has worked for me: list your phone number instead of allowing sellers to reach you via email. This seems to weed out the tire kickers and the flakes. On the phone you can find out in two minutes whether you can expect the deal to close. Via email, you're never sure...

3) Price reasonably. For current-production gear I always ask about 70% of current street price. For gear that's being closed out by the manufacturer, same thing. That can sting at blow-out prices, but no one's going to buy used for nearly the same cost as new. If I'm not in hurry I'll wait until several months after the blow-out sale clears unsold inventory, then price at 70% of the last street price before the blow-out sale. For older gear I use EBay as a guide: I look at recent sales, throw away the outliers (unusually high and low sale prices) and set my price somewhere in the middle of what's left.

3) Always set a firm price. Every one of my Craigslist ads says "prices are firm". Buyers - especially the ones willing to make a phone call - won't try to float a lowball offer if you establish that your prices are firm. Depending upon my situation I might be willing to entertain a slightly lower offer, but never more than five or ten percent less than my advertised price.

4) Establish that you're interested in closing the deal. I can understand that folks want to try before they buy, and I certainly accommodate that desire. I always make it clear that my gear is *for sale*, not for random CL flakes to "try out" in my living room. When someone calls for the first time I tell them, "Yes the ___ is still available. When would you like to come by and pick it up? I'm available ___ and ___." Callers who are "just curious" usually admit their intent when presented with having to choose a date and time to complete a purchase. If the gear in question is unusual, I'll often accommodate reasonable requests to satisfy a buyer's curiosity; more often than not a sale follows. I generally encourage tire kickers to "try out" readily-available gear somewhere else.

• Members

My digital 8-track has a 40GB HDD, masters in WAV and exports the master(s) or track(s) in WAV via USB. Bought it new for $299 back in 2007.

Technology just got cheap, fast. It's a shame, but at the same time, worked for me, I can do quick and easy scratch tracks by only pushing a button, export, convert to mp3 via my laptop and send to rest of band, whole process takes less than 10 minutes.

It's funny, I still have my Fostex DMT-8vL 8-track that I bought for $1,100 in '98 and still use it for monitoring input levels and recording audio from Reason, as well as some scratch tracks. Of course, unfortunately no USB, so there's the tedious task of unplugging and reconnecting patch cables.

Archived