Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Keyboard players - why so hard to find?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, yeah, there's some players I forgot! Greg Rolie is great, so is Bobby Whitlock (Derek and the Dominoes), I love Booker T., Eddie Harsh too.. I still can't play his tasty piano licks in "Hard To Handle"... need to spend some time in the B-blues woodshed.

I'm not slagging on the Prog guys, it was just never my thing, never really heard any 'till long after my musical tastes were formed. I like to listen to ELP, but not in the car, not on repeat....more like going to a symphony concert, put it on when in the mood, let it envelop you. (BTW, all your prog fans need to type "Rachel Flowers" into YouTube)

This may explain why I'm more into Hammond/Rhodes/Piano sounds than synth sounds....although my band has me playing synthy stuff, which is actually a bit of a challenge because I'm not used to playing in the idiom (more like horn section shots than piano or organ comping) and I don't have a synth. So I just mix pre-made patches with an eye on timbre and envelope, adding a bit of flange or chorus to make 'em sound synthier.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wesg
      View Post

Eddie Harsh too.. I still can't play his tasty piano licks in "Hard To Handle"... need to spend some time in the B-blues woodshed

I think that may have been Chuck Leavell, who AFAIK recorded the keys on the first BC record. I better check that one out myself, BTW, thanks.
      Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wesg
        View Post

Eddie Harsh too.. I still can't play his tasty piano licks in "Hard To Handle"... need to spend some time in the B-blues woodshed

I think that may have been Chuck Leavell, who AFAIK recorded the keys on the first BC record. I better check that one out myself, BTW, thanks.
        Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guido61
          View Post

That brings up an interesting keyboard topic:

While I grew up listening to a lot of the 70s prog guys as well, I mostly learned from the 80s synth players: Howard Jones, Nick Rhodes, Rupert Greenall, Roland Orzabal, etc etc. Does the lineage to these players pass through those 70s prog cats? Or mostly around them?

Not sure if he was a fan at the time, but when Howard Jones was in one of Ringo's All Starr Bands together with Greg Lake, they did a pretty cool version of Karn Evil 9, with Sheila E on drums.

Couldn't find a video clip, but here's some audio of Escoveda, Lake, and Jones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2woPv6ngwLU

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guido61
            View Post

That brings up an interesting keyboard topic:

While I grew up listening to a lot of the 70s prog guys as well, I mostly learned from the 80s synth players: Howard Jones, Nick Rhodes, Rupert Greenall, Roland Orzabal, etc etc. Does the lineage to these players pass through those 70s prog cats? Or mostly around them?

Not sure if he was a fan at the time, but when Howard Jones was in one of Ringo's All Starr Bands together with Greg Lake, they did a pretty cool version of Karn Evil 9, with Sheila E on drums.

Couldn't find a video clip, but here's some audio of Escoveda, Lake, and Jones:

Comment

Working...
            X