X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by jplanet
    View Post

we have a good following and many venues lined up - the only thing that's holding up the gigs, ironically, is a lack of a keyboard player

You can't seriously mean that you won't play gigs just because you don't have a keyboard player??
    http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

View Post

we have a good following and many venues lined up - the only thing that's holding up the gigs, ironically, is a lack of a keyboard player

You can't seriously mean that you won't play gigs just because you don't have a keyboard player??

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ggm1960
        View Post

Listen to the clips. It would be impossible, every song is based on keyboards. Read the reviews - the focus of keyboards is very important to the market we appeal to. Imagine Yes, Jethro Tull or ELP songs without keyboards...
        Good deals: pianorocker

..::.PROG LIVES!.::..

Comment

View Post

Listen to the clips. It would be impossible, every song is based on keyboards. Read the reviews - the focus of keyboards is very important to the market we appeal to. Imagine Yes, Jethro Tull or ELP songs without keyboards...

Comment

View Post

Ah! Very helpful information. Helpful because, I can certainly set those concerns at ease - we have a good following and many venues lined up - the only thing that's holding up the gigs, ironically, is a lack of a keyboard player - the venues and audience are in abundance. We even get major FM radio airplay in Holland and Germany, and could probably pack some decent sized clubs over there.

We actually passed up on playing any gigs after our first album simply because auditions were taking so long that we just went into the studio and did another album...there are enough fans and venues to book an east coast tour, and four major progressive rock festivals every year that we could be playing...

What I don't get is - how does a bass player see these possibilities, even a drummer and a vocalist, but not a keyboard player? What's different about that instrument that changes the perspective?

Put that stuff in your ad! In order to become a competent keyboard player, one needs patience, discipline, and rational thought (ya know, not like a bass player). You can pick and choose your gigs, so you're only going to jump on the ones that look to be worth your time. Most keyboardists I've met are money-oriented at the end of the day, but you could probably entice a younger guy with the touring Europe deal.
            Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

View Post

Ah! Very helpful information. Helpful because, I can certainly set those concerns at ease - we have a good following and many venues lined up - the only thing that's holding up the gigs, ironically, is a lack of a keyboard player - the venues and audience are in abundance. We even get major FM radio airplay in Holland and Germany, and could probably pack some decent sized clubs over there.

We actually passed up on playing any gigs after our first album simply because auditions were taking so long that we just went into the studio and did another album...there are enough fans and venues to book an east coast tour, and four major progressive rock festivals every year that we could be playing...

What I don't get is - how does a bass player see these possibilities, even a drummer and a vocalist, but not a keyboard player? What's different about that instrument that changes the perspective?

Put that stuff in your ad! In order to become a competent keyboard player, one needs patience, discipline, and rational thought (ya know, not like a bass player). You can pick and choose your gigs, so you're only going to jump on the ones that look to be worth your time. Most keyboardists I've met are money-oriented at the end of the day, but you could probably entice a younger guy with the touring Europe deal.
              Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Cool - thanks! Actually, I do think starting this thread was very helpful - I have such a different, idealistic perspective on music (perhaps because guitar and composing original music is so much harder to monetize), so it helps to know how to appeal to those who think differently.

Basically, I have to do a better job selling it - and you know, I hesitated mentioning the possibility of touring in the ad, because I'm afraid the only available players will be guys with wives, kids, day jobs that may prohibit that...but the fact is, we do need someone who is prepared for hitting the road...

Comment

Cool - thanks! Actually, I do think starting this thread was very helpful - I have such a different, idealistic perspective on music (perhaps because guitar and composing original music is so much harder to monetize), so it helps to know how to appeal to those who think differently.

Basically, I have to do a better job selling it - and you know, I hesitated mentioning the possibility of touring in the ad, because I'm afraid the only available players will be guys with wives, kids, day jobs that may prohibit that...but the fact is, we do need someone who is prepared for hitting the road...

Comment

View Post

Who's doing all the keys that the songs are based on then?

Comment

View Post

Comment

I play keys as well. I agree with space ,, you guys are good. Nice stuff. However I would never answer your ad. Its not money. When I listen you your music, the first thing that comes to my mind is, that its going to be a gig were the keyboard player is going to be required to provide you with all the strings, synth , outer space kind of things. All i want to do is just play piano, organ, rhodes, maybe an occasional steel drum part. I would feel like a monkey on a chain doing what you need done. I like soul, I like older rock, I like county , I like beach music. I think what you are running into is that the guys that are good enough to do what you want done ,,, dont really want to be directed like a your band would require. You can hire a studio guy to do it ,,,, but its not anything that a guy would want a steady diet of.

Its just not my kind of keyboard playing. Its also going to take a pretty dam good keyboard player to do what you want. It might be a little intimidating for the guys that are into the more soundy type stuff you want. Basically ,, you wont find too many guys that are good enough that want to play that kind of role in a band. Its the kind a thing a studio guy does , just to get you through your CD.

Comment

I play keys as well. I agree with space ,, you guys are good. Nice stuff. However I would never answer your ad. Its not money. When I listen you your music, the first thing that comes to my mind is, that its going to be a gig were the keyboard player is going to be required to provide you with all the strings, synth , outer space kind of things. All i want to do is just play piano, organ, rhodes, maybe an occasional steel drum part. I would feel like a monkey on a chain doing what you need done. I like soul, I like older rock, I like county , I like beach music. I think what you are running into is that the guys that are good enough to do what you want done ,,, dont really want to be directed like a your band would require. You can hire a studio guy to do it ,,,, but its not anything that a guy would want a steady diet of.

Its just not my kind of keyboard playing. Its also going to take a pretty dam good keyboard player to do what you want. It might be a little intimidating for the guys that are into the more soundy type stuff you want. Basically ,, you wont find too many guys that are good enough that want to play that kind of role in a band. Its the kind a thing a studio guy does , just to get you through your CD.

Comment

As a keyboard player - I liked your stuff - very cool, but...

I hear a significant time investment in terms of programming, high instrument/sound count per song, arranging and sync'ing up with whoever/whatever is the rest of the band - matching sounds, figuring out which parts you can play live versus as a backing track, programming, etc.

I ran into an ad - probably not unlike yours - a month or two back - the poster wanted "symphonic, orchestral, blah blah blab..." keys for some metal project. They had cool stuff and good ideas but it was a lot of work just trying to find out what they wanted done. It sounded like it might be fun, I even whipped up "Fall to Earth'" (soundclick below) as demo. They loved it and then... silence.

So in the end I figure a project like yours its not worth the bother because

- If I want to "just play" I have regular gigs with a couple of projects which involve virtually no setup work - I just sit down and play.

- Ditto for friends running open mics - I can just show up and jam (hey, I'm a keyboard player and there's always room for me)

- If I have my own complex stuff I whip up a backing track arrangement and just play one of the instruments live (usually my EWI which is easy to carry) at an open mic.

I would like to find guys like you to collaborate with and play for but it just never seems to work out.

So I just do it alone - I gave up looking for what you're looking for - at least for now.
                            Just-Got-Lucky
                            ----------------
                            My blogs: http://lwgat.blogspot.com/
                            My Music: http://www.fall-to-earth.com

Comment

As a keyboard player - I liked your stuff - very cool, but...

I hear a significant time investment in terms of programming, high instrument/sound count per song, arranging and sync'ing up with whoever/whatever is the rest of the band - matching sounds, figuring out which parts you can play live versus as a backing track, programming, etc.

I ran into an ad - probably not unlike yours - a month or two back - the poster wanted "symphonic, orchestral, blah blah blab..." keys for some metal project. They had cool stuff and good ideas but it was a lot of work just trying to find out what they wanted done. It sounded like it might be fun, I even whipped up "Fall to Earth'" (soundclick below) as demo. They loved it and then... silence.

So in the end I figure a project like yours its not worth the bother because

- If I want to "just play" I have regular gigs with a couple of projects which involve virtually no setup work - I just sit down and play.

- Ditto for friends running open mics - I can just show up and jam (hey, I'm a keyboard player and there's always room for me)

- If I have my own complex stuff I whip up a backing track arrangement and just play one of the instruments live (usually my EWI which is easy to carry) at an open mic.

I would like to find guys like you to collaborate with and play for but it just never seems to work out.

So I just do it alone - I gave up looking for what you're looking for - at least for now.
                              Just-Got-Lucky
                              ----------------
                              My blogs: http://lwgat.blogspot.com/
                              My Music: http://www.fall-to-earth.com

Comment

View Post

That's me...which leads to the next natural question, which is, why not get a guitarist and then let me play keyboards? Unfortunately, guitarists tend to know the least about playing in a professional environment - most say, "ok, maybe I can bring some of my riffs in"...which isn't how this band works - the songs are composed over a period of months...

Quote Originally Posted by rhat
                                View Post

I get where you're coming from - this stuff isn't easy to play, and it's not like someone can join an established band and just change the sound completely...I agree on that point, but the vast majority of the album is piano and organ - if someone didn't want to mess with synthesis, I would gladly bring my Moog on stage and take care of those bits myself...Check out tracks like Long Road, Coming Back Home, Angel, When the Morning Comes - those are all very traditional piano/organ pieces...

Comment

Working...
                                X