LOL... This is Awkward.... Can we say 'Karma'?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I get a chuckle out of this... most of you know me on this board, and I'm not one to stir any drama or 'gloat' about unfortunate circumstances. I feel I offer some pretty solid advice at times and for the most part have a pretty objective and supportive view for the bands on this board and on my local music scene. Still there are some circumstances that you just can't ignore the poetic irony.

So for the last 12-18 months there has been a band that has emerged on my local scene that has tried to grab the brass ring for obnoxiousness. A C-level band, trying to establish themselves A-list band, by bypassing the B-list bars altogether. Since our local market is pretty small, we share a handful of clubs together... however pay and expectations are widely differen't. But we do share the same local pool of club goers that go out on weekends to see local shows. I've eluded to this band in previous threads (see How shameFul is your promotion?. Their style of marketing is aggressive and pretty shameful at times. They are simply the ONLY band to see. They are THE BEST.... that's their marketing message. They have spread tons of hype about their band on a daily basis, and although they made small strides at gaining a small following at select venues they really haven't earned a ton of respect from anyone on the local band scene. So a few weeks ago it was no surprise when the club owner of the area's largest local venue shared this 'complaint email' he received with our band manager.

I'm Jenna, I have been a bar tender/band booking in the area since the late 90's. I am currently in negotiations to open my own tavern/pub in the Tri-Valley area and this is why I felt the need to write you the bar owners.

There has been a rash of defamatory statements and remarks made about everyone I have attached to this email. These remarks have been made public on facebook and myspace and are coming from a local band that has been stirring trouble everywhere they go. That band is called 'XXXXXX'. They have played for clubs that I have booked and frankly are not that great. They sell themselves as the only band anyone should see and in fact have gotten so "cocky" they are now being disrespectful and disparaging to the local owners. Statements were and still are posted about (bar owner) using words like 'cheap, drunk', statements about (bar owner) and her business judgement, and it goes on...Have a look for yourself if they have not removed it already. They have been making false statement about other bands as well as the bars....they seem to think this is a way for them to get ahead. I am just giving you a heads up, I have been in this business for some time now, my father was as well and this is completely unprofessional. I am chosing not to use this band/bands and many of my friends will be dropping them from their roster. In these tough times, no one needs to be overcharged for a common trash mouthed band when you can work with those that are tried and true.

These tried and true bands that WE will be working with and have been for years...are Nuts in a Blender, XXXXXX, XXXXXX, XXXXXX and just a few others such as 'XXXXXX' and pretty much that is it. These bands have proven themselves over and over, their music is constantly updated and excellent. They are flexible and easy to work with and reliable. One better, they are regular people without inflated ego's ...they will always say thank you and never look for a fight. If the night is not that great, they will work with you. These bands work hard for you and work with you.These bands would only enhance your business not ever try to make you look bad.

I have sent this to local bar owners that have been "hit" with this attack from 'XXXXX' of disparaging remarks and I am hoping Budweiser gets hold of the information also.....these are not bands that should be sponsored....again In addition, they publicly make discriminatory remarks about ethnic groups, and elderly....what message are we sending here.......Eeryone can do what they want...you just need to know what is going on in the area...slander can hurt a business and reputation. I have worked with may of you...I hate to read what I have about good people. Especially from no talent bands.....again...we are staying with the tried and true listed above and hoping others will do the same.

Happy New Year

You may contact me at this email , not facebook...I don;t feel public display is necessary.

Please pass this along if you can to other owners

OUCH!:eek: As soon as I read that I was pretty floored. Because I have been feeling the tension ratchet up about this band for months... yet no one really says anything about them. So imagine our delight when we received this email from their singer yesterday asking my band to vouch for them with another club owner.

Hey Dan, how you doing..I was wondering if you can do me a favor..I talked to Brian from
(insert bar name)
cause were trying to get in there before May and we only have like 3 possible dates for him..Do you think you can vouch for us? He said he was gonna talk to you on friday when you guys play there..I told him we play the same rooms as Nuts In A Blender (
EDIT: 3 out of 12 we book
). What happening is he's getting swamped with bands that he hasn't heard of or seen but I told him we play all the top venues (
EDIT: mostly C-list rooms
). so I think he's the type that wants to know you before he books you..So if you wouldn't mind chating with him for us I would really appreciate it...

I don't usually gloat in situations like this.... and I certainly don't like to dig up local dirt on a band forum.... but this is pretty laughable considering this is certainly not a band I would even consider us on a friendly basis with. They basically ignore us and pretend that we don't exist even though we're the largest draw in the area. They'll publicly acknowledge other bands in the area when it's convenient for them to do so.... nary a whisper about us. I can only imagine the comments they've made about us to bar owners they've tried to get a foothold with. recently we heard they were advertising themselves as 'just like my band... (but at 1/2 the price).

It's funny they have advertised themselves as the 'Best Party Band in the Area'..., but it seems like they can't get into the rooms they need without backstabbing other bands... or contacting us for a 'favor'.

• Members

Too bad so many people don't understand the Golden Rule, expressed in so many different ways:

Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you

As you sow, so shall you reap

You sow to the wind and reap the whirlwind

What goes around comes around

karma is a bitch

Is it really that hard to understand?

• Members

I would just ignore the request. You could be honest with them and say "no, I won't because 1) you are not that good, 2) you have been underhanded to my band (just like NIB but 1/2 the price)" but that will only turn a nuisance into an enemy. If you really don't know them beyond their rep, why would they expect you to help them? We go out and see all the other bands in our area...they call us up to sing/play with them and we do the same (even if the aren't that good). These guys don't participate in that communal effort...they are an upstart trying to create buzz with questionable marketing and not substance....ignore them..they will go away. (but it's ok to take delight in Karma)

• Members

I wonder why Jenna the bartender who plans to open up her own room felt such a strong need to send such a lengthy and opinionated email about a band to people who would be her competitors if she actually does open a room. Seems odd to me...
:confused:

There's a backstory here that I hadn't shared. Sometime in Nov early Dec this band was posting quite a few comments to their social media sites. Appearently one bar 'shafted' them on pay... and there was an altercation with a well known bartender from another bar. Comments were left and they encouraged people to 'blow up' their pages with opinions. I imagine that combined with their attitude at shows inspired this person to write the email. It doesn't really matter to me... it just needed to be said.

And just six minutes ago I recieved this message from the same singer on my own Facebook account:

"Hey Grant next time you play 'XXXXXX' do you think you can put in a good word for us... Were trying to get in there prob in the fall.."

Perhaps we're the beholder of the 'keys' of this room. :D

• Members

Don't forward the e-mail. The person who sent it was professional, and apparently attempting a confidential communication (note the "do not use facebook" comment at the bottom of their e-mail) under very challenging circumstances. Rest assured, however, somehow the band will find out about it. Don't mess up your karmic energy by being the person who informed them.

Instead, I think you have two good options. You could respond back and say "We'd like to help you out but we think bar owners and audiences should make their own call about a band, without the influence of third parties, including other bands. Best of luck, though."

Or ignore them.

And, congrats on the karmavictory--the most deserved kind of all.

Rebel

• Members

Wow! It's too damn seldom that you get to witness somebody actually receiving their comeupance! I certainly find that it restores my faith in all things right on the rare occasion that I do. I can only imagine how big a smile the situation has put on your face!

Your advice is always spot on - so I'm guessing you're going to take the high road and let the request for an endorsement come and go. No sense stirring the pot when you've got nothing to gain from letting him know why he's not getting a reference from you.

• Members

Don't forward the e-mail. The person who sent it was professional, and apparently attempting a confidential communication (note the "do not use facebook" comment at the bottom of their e-mail) under very challenging circumstances. Rest assured, however, somehow the band will find out about it. Don't mess up your karmic energy by being the person who informed them.

Instead, I think you have two good options. You could respond back and say "We'd like to help you out but we think bar owners and audiences should make their own call about a band, without the influence of third parties, including other bands. Best of luck, though."

Or ignore them.

Rebel

What he said.

• Members

Or ignore them.

Rebel

absolutely.

• Members

Heh heh. I'd be glad to discuss that band with anyone curious enough to ask. Then again, if you can't say anything good...

Yes, clubowners talk. Had to sue a club for fequent double booking. They did contact other clubs to have us branded as trouble. In the next two months bar owners where we played took the time to sit with us and let us know they had been contacted. In this case, their verdict was the double-bookers were assholes and they were kinda proud of us. Professional conduct and a good working relationship wth clubs was the best defense against slander. Works both ways.

Archived