Trainwreck drummer alert!

FitchFY

• Moderators

Ouch. I've broken a kick pedal during a song before (thankfully, the last) and it sucked, but I learned long ago not to stop when playing live for anything less than a medical emergency or fire. It sure wasn't fun, though- I had to do a really monotonous riding-the-floor-tom beat throughout what was supposed to be a climactic ending.

• Members

i think the only thing that would stop my band from continuing with a song is if the singer stopped. no singer means no song, generally.

i know i could stop, or the bass could stop, or the drummer could stop, and the rest of the band would just play the song out.

• Members

i think the only thing that would stop my band from continuing with a song is if the singer stopped. no singer means no song, generally.

i know i could stop, or the bass could stop, or the drummer could stop, and the rest of the band would just play the song out.

Even that shouldn't do it. Our singer forgot the opening lyrics to a song the other night. Bass player was at the mic singing within a few seconds.

The OP drummer just sounds inexperienced. He should have at least finished the song somehow. Things go wrong live. You need to learn not to panic and to keep going as best you can.

• Members

The OP drummer just sounds inexperienced. He should have at least finished the song somehow. Things go wrong live. You need to learn not to panic and to keep going as best you can.

That's giving him a LOT of credit. :) The guy had "I'm not easy to get along with" written all over him. I felt bad for his band! They were all nice guys, but I'd never put them on a bill again unless I knew they had a different drummer.

The stove is hot. :facepalm:

• Members

heh. Should've bailed and come see my band!

Ha! Sad part is that the rest of the night was AWESOME. My band and Tester had the place ripping and rocking - one of the most fun shows I've ever played.

• Members

I don't get why he just got up and walked around... how is that helping the situation? I would have just played on to the end of the song. Then I would have taken a minute and duct taped the head back together. :thu:

• Members

I don't get why he just got up and walked around... how is that helping the situation? I would have just played on to the end of the song. Then I would have taken a minute and duct taped the head back together.
:thu:

he left the duct tape and extra pedal in his jacket..... he was looking for his jacket..... who the hell wears a jacket in July?!?!

• Members

I will never forget hearing about some idiot MTV reporter asked a someone about his influences and she thought he said The Loneliest Monk not Thelonious Monk. She went on to ask him about this obsure musicial group :lol:

Meh, what do you expect?

• Members

nuff said

heh. Should've bailed and come see my band!

Are there enough actual people in RI to actually form two separate bands?

I thought the state was so small that my last apartment complex had a bigger population...

:confused::confused:

• Members

at one point or another, knowing or unknowlingly, we have all tried to emulate Thelonious Monk.

:cool:

I watch and listen to people like Monk, Miles, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, etc, and I feel very ...insignificant.

I love the heyday of jazz with all my heart, but it's like they are speaking a language that I understand, but can't "speak".

• Members

I watch and listen to people like Monk, Miles, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, etc, and I feel very ...
insignificant.

I love the heyday of jazz with all my heart, but it's like they are speaking a language that I understand, but can't "speak".

Jazz is the fine art of making the same mistake twice.

:cop:

• Members

I watch and listen to people like Monk, Miles, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, etc, and I feel very ...
insignificant.

That - in a nutshell - is the main reason I stopped playing for so long. The interplay of lines, the harmonic texture, the virtuosity, the SWING . . . it's a special form of music that I've listened to more than all other genre's combined.

• Members

Jazz is the fine art of making the same mistake twice.

:cop:

I heard a keyboard player playing a midweek R&B gig, and what he was playing was . . . bizarre. Nothing but what I'll call clusters all night. It's as if he didn't know any of the songs or the names and standard voicings of any changes, yet the gig wasn't the disaster you might have expected. He knew the scales and could change key areas when called for. If the bass player knows the songs, the repertoire encourages chord extensions, and there's no guitar player to be compatible with, you get accustomed to it after a while.

Listen to some of these young guys playing gospel on youtube.

• Members

Are there enough actual people in RI to actually form two separate bands?

I thought the state was so small that my last apartment complex had a bigger population...

:confused:
:confused:

Well Technically you are correct, there are 5 "musicians" or should I say "people who play instruments mediocrely" in the state, and coincidentaily are in my band. FitchFY is from our Northern Neighbor Taxachusetts.

It is unforunate that we can fit the entire population of our state on a city block in Houston, :(

But what we lack in size we make up with corruption and taxes!

• Members

In the drummer's defense, maybe he is inexperienced and just became flustered. Maybe he cares about what the band sounds like and don't think 'the show must go on' if it sounds like ass. Maybe he was expecting a little help from his band mates and instead got ignored as they plowed on ahead without him.

Look, I understand professionalism, I really do. In a really pro show, there would have been a spare kick head or even a spare drum and it would have been replaced in 5 minutes. But some 45 minute set in a bar somewhere isn't going take a or break a band if they stop for a few minutes, take a deep breath, and figure out the best way to proceed.

Last Saturday my drummer broke his kick pedal in the middle of a song. So we stopped short, and I told a few jokes, sold some CDs, and heckled a few audience members while he fixed it. He had a replacement just in case. No biggie. I'd rather stop and fix the problem than finish out a set sounding less than full strength. And maybe the drummer will learn to inspect his gear and keep better heads on his drums.

I had a friend open for Robben Ford about 15 years ago. He only brought one amp to the gig, and old Fender Deluxe which of course took a crap at the worst time, right in the middle of the first song. He spent 20 minutes trying to get it to work, and then played the rest of the set running his strat directly into the PA- it was awful. In a case like that, he should have been better prepared. But a bar set? Meh. In the OPs scenario, I'd be more interested in making sure the drummer was solid rather than freaking him out by plowing ahead anyway. Just my $.02

Archived