Shot and edited this with no budget

botkiller

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a Video Section on HC Forums, ya know :)

The video looks good! Good cameras and cinematography.....and, of course, Vegas is an amazing piece of software. As far as the song, I cant say if its 'good' or 'bad' because it falls into that "I dont get it" category so I have no opinion on the matter...FWIW, Ive heard a lot worse in that "I dont get it" category so, for all I know, its a great song.............

• Members

Thanks for watching guys.

I'm not in the mood for questions about lipstick, so I'll let you figure that out. If it was good enough for David Bowie, it's good enough for us ;)

As for the video; it was shot on two Canon 5d MK IIs and one Nikon D7000 - both digital SLR cameras. It was shot by Rip Williams, a local photographer (http://www.ripwilliamsphotography.com), Steve Groves (http://www.esi-media.com), Jason Andrews, Brad Cole, and Rielle Romdo. We stayed around ISO 200 through the shoot, kept the lighting simple. I didn't do much color correction in the post.

As for the music; yes, it is low fi. That's the point. I'm the drummer and I also co-produced our latest record (which has been picked up by Hot Topic) with Joey Belville of the Echoing Green. I wanted a lo-fi, dry sound.

Thank you for watching, if you want more, find us at http://www.vertigovenus.com

Thanks.

• Members

On a serious note, this is my opinion:

The objective of a video is to give a band's fans as well as others an accurate representation of that band from a visual standpoint. It's essentially furthering the band's brand. Our opinions on your look and the band's sound are honestly not really relevant. You're clearly not marketing yourselves as a "Train" or "Maroon 5" where your music is "for everyone". It's a niche sound for a niche audience. That niche audience who likes your sound will love the video so in reality, mission accomplished on all levels.

• Members

The objective of a video is to give a band's fans as well as others an accurate representation of that band from a visual standpoint. It's essentially furthering the band's brand. Our opinions on your look and the band's sound are honestly not really relevant. You're clearly not marketing yourselves as a "Train" or "Maroon 5" where your music is "for everyone". It's a niche sound for a niche audience. That niche audience who likes your sound will love the video so in reality, mission accomplished on all levels.

Oh yes, agreed. Believe me, there were plenty of plans for a video with a storyline and all that BS. We put it aside because we wanted to show the band, the look, and the music. We have a growing fanbase in the punk/synth/goth field, and that's the goal; to show those folks what we can do.

Thanks again for watching.

• Members

I think its better than that. The thing that really impressed me was that I actually watched the whole video. Thats huge for me since its a genre that I dont listen to. To be able to hold my attention all the way through means that this band is hitting a home run. typically I pull the plug in 15 to 30 seconds on stuff on here. As for the look of the band. It seemed to fit. As crazy as this sounds,,, the eyeliner was not the thing that caught my attention ,, the lead singer has teeth that could be in a tooth paste ad.

• Members

I think its better than that. The thing that really impressed me was that I actually watched the whole video. Thats huge for me since its a genre that I dont listen to. To be able to hold my attention all the way through means that this band is hitting a home run. typically I pull the plug in 15 to 30 seconds on stuff on here. As for the look of the band. It seemed to fit. As crazy as this sounds,,, the eyeliner was not the thing that caught my attention ,, the lead singer has teeth that could be in a tooth paste ad.

Thank you for such a GREAT review! That was my goal, being that we focused on only the band; to edit it, and keep your attention!

THANK YOU!

• Members

Are you kidding??? I just saw you guys on You Tube maybe a month ago for the first time. It was a random blog on a homemade Keytar you made. Then checked out a few videos (nice live cover of 'She-Bop'). That was maybe 2-3 weeks ago. So it's just coincidence that you posted here on this very forum and I'm already familiar with your band.

Nice video above. Great job editing. DSLR is certain a fantastic way to capture video (opposed to using prosumer camcorders) .... big advantage is big chips to illuminate pixels and nice glass lens to capture crisp low light images.

Great work... BTW I dig your band!

• Members

Are you kidding??? I just saw you guys on You Tube maybe a month ago for the first time. It was a random blog on a homemade Keytar you made. Then checked out a few videos (nice live cover of 'She-Bop'). That was maybe 2-3 weeks ago. So it's just coincidence that you posted here on this very forum and I'm already familiar with your band.

Nice video above. Great job editing. DSLR is certain a fantastic way to capture video (opposed to using prosumer camcorders) .... big advantage is big chips to illuminate pixels and nice glass lens to capture crisp low light images.

Great work... BTW I dig your band!

Cool man! Thank you so much! You can get all of our albums in digital format for .99 each at http://www.vertigovenus.bandcamp.com . Your support really means a lot, so thanks so much for being cool! Please spread the word about the video, and stay in touch with me!

• Members

Ok, watched the whole thing, too. While I'll agree about the make-up (it's just not my style), your band certainly does capture that '90's european metrosexual feel. Just watch "Don't You Want Me" by The Human League to see what I'm talking about. If that's what you're going for, great job...if not, oh my! The girl needs a little more animation. She looks a little stiff compared to the rest of you.

However, what really impressed me was the quality of the video. I think it looks supurb...hat's off to you! I'm going to remember this if we ever make one. Nice job.

BTW - Couldn't help finding your cover of "She Bop". Liked it a lot - Thinking about adding it to our set list!

• Members

You know...I went back and listened to the video again and visited your website, nice overall work, very well put together and very media savy, you guys are going far...by the way I love some of your other tunes, kinda reminded me of "Toy Dolls" a bit and that's a very good thing since they are one of my favorite bands...can you post a link to "She Bop"?

Rod

Archived