Vid of my Band.

joshmac

• Members

Here's the deal. Last song of first set we got a request to play this beautye:rolleyes:. Hahaha mainly just posting this vid to show you how WE do it. (Also this happens to be the first vid the guy edited and sent us back.)

[video=youtube;crSEVHtb2ug]

There will be more vids of diff. songs very very soon. Im the guy w/ the seafoam green tele

EDIT: Here's another

[video=youtube;rLaU5Tbdu7A]

EDIT 2: ANOTHER ONE

[video=youtube;ga07hx8vDeI]

• Members

performance wise- I like it. :thu:

sound wise- good

video wise- Good but just a tad bit dark (not much but a bit) and since there was more than one camera it should be cut a little faster IMO. At least if I was editing it I would cut it faster and more to the beat.

• Members

I've never had a problem playing this song... partly because we play our arrangement similar to yours... maybe a tad faster BPM. No reggae breakdown though :thu:.

Great arrangement, nice and tight and lots of energy. I like the drummers fills and the tremelo delay during the breakdown. A in my book :thu:

How was the audio recorded... from the camera or the board? The backline sounds pretty balanced with the drums.

• Members

Hey, did you sell that Green Tele yesterday ? :lol: A tele. exactly like that sold on E-Bay yesterday for $ 1100, That SEA or MINT (?) Green with matching headstock & white pickguard. I would have loved to buy it because my Fender P Bass is that exact color (well, except for the matching headstock). Would have made a nice Guitar / Bass Set :lol:.

I really liked your arrangement, especially the regae break in the middle. Great idea!

Only thing I found to pick on was....is it just me or does the drummer have some tempo issues ?

(speeding up / slowing down ). Maybe as a bass player I'm just hyper sensitive to that, I dunno.

Anyhow I give you guys a big thumbs up!!:thu:

• Members

Haha Thanks a lot people. I will post the other vids when they come up. I dont know how to quote multiple people in a single post so Ill do it the old fashioned way.

Jeff42- Thanks a lot man. The stage at this bar is extremely small and around 11:45 this bar is packed to the tits. We didnt have room to cram a good light rig in there. Im surprised it turned out this light actually because it was a lot darker in person

Grant- We recorded this with two overhead condenser "room" mics and it turned out surprisingly nice. One was at the left side of the stage and one was at the right. That reggae "echo" is something ive been messing with in some songs after hearing it in a lot of ska and reggae music. We tend to throw a reggae kinda thing into a lot of popular songs.

Pickinatit- Just so you know, I always read your name as picking a tit. Im not plannin on sellin that tele it has treated me real well since I got it. BUT if theyre goin for 1100 id flip it in a second (its a mexi tele, special edition cost 500). I have a twin to this guit in a strat in the same color. hehe. Drummer is actually rock solid 99% of the time, this one did seem a lil shaky though I agree.

Oh yeah and everyone, watch it in higher quality the sound is better!

• Members

That was good...funny that you do that reggae breakdown...we used to do that in my old band, too - slightly different - we did it in that bass breakdown part. And we'd shake it up sometimes by doing different feels there. I know the song is overdone, but it is fun, especially for a bassist.

Brian V.

• Members

Constructive criticism:

Have your drummer work with a metronome and focus on not pushing tempo on his fills/builds into changes: he telegraphs A LOT, and usually over several bars, which is why the tempos seems to go back and forth so much. (It's not just you pickinatit)

Also, why not have him play an actual reggae beat along with everyone else? Personal pet peeve, but I hate "white-man's reggae drumming" (back-beats). You want to really make that section pop and stick as something that makes your band sound unique, have him play NO snare and put his kick drum on 2 & 4 for that part; that will make a much more impactful contrast to the vibe of the rest of the song instead of just plowing back-beats the whole way through.

• Members

Constructive criticism:

Have your drummer work with a metronome and focus on not pushing tempo on his fills/builds into changes: he telegraphs A LOT, and usually over several bars, which is why the tempos seems to go back and forth so much. (It's not just you pickinatit)

Also, why not have him play an
actual
reggae beat along with everyone else? Personal pet peeve, but I hate "white-man's reggae drumming" (back-beats). You want to really make that section pop and stick as something that makes your band sound unique, have him play NO snare and put his kick drum on 2 & 4 for that part; that will make a much more impactful contrast to the vibe of the rest of the song instead of just plowing back-beats the whole way through.

I noticed the tempo prob, but wasn't gonna say anything cuz I thought the arrangement just kicked ass.

Reggae is really hard for rock drummers to play. I had a drummer in one band I was in refer to it as "playing backwards", because it felt like the opposite of how he was used to playing.

Anyway, I thought his beat was definitely convincing enough for most bar gigs.

• Members

We do covers of some other reggae songs including a Toots and the Maytals song as well as a few reggaefied rock tunes. I will post vids when I get them for criticism as well. Thanks for the comments guys, wont be able to respond to this thread for a few days as we are roadtripping it as an acoustic trio to a back to back gig tonight/tomorrow. #1 goal for me this weekend: Dynamics and steady/clear harmonies. ROCK AWN

• Members

Reggae is really hard for rock drummers to play. I had a drummer in one band I was in refer to it as "playing backwards", because it felt like the opposite of how he was used to playing.

Anyway, I thought his beat was definitely convincing enough for most bar gigs.

I AM a rock drummer, and I'm not going to say it's very natural to play a typical simple reggae beat, but it's certainly not something that's really that hard.

To get comfortable with it, I'd suggest all a drummer needs to do is what I did: listen to a bunch of music by the Police and The Clash.

Then figure out how to replicate it.

Both bands excelled at playing plenty of 'more authentic' reggae, along with a fair amount of that straight-ahead-rock-drums sorta' reggae that often passes, and it's easy to note how vast the difference in feel is between the two types, IMO.

• Members

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the comments. Just got back yesterday from a band roadtrip type thing. Played as a trio at this awesome patio on the water. Super packed, it was awesome. More videos from this show will become available real soon.

• Members

Constructive criticism:

Also, why not have him play an
actual
reggae beat along with everyone else? Personal pet peeve, but I hate "white-man's reggae drumming" (back-beats). You want to really make that section pop and stick as something that makes your band sound unique, have him play NO snare and put his kick drum on 2 & 4 for that part; that will make a much more impactful contrast to the vibe of the rest of the song instead of just plowing back-beats the whole way through.

You stole my thunder. I was going to point out that the tempo was all over the place- subtly, but still enough to notice. I've turned into a tempo nazi. :D And I concur with the reggae criticism. This kid is a good drummer overall- lots of pop and energy, and clean. I'd have him listen to some Stewart Copeland, something like "Walking On The Moon" or the breakdown in "So Lonely". I('m thinking he could pull it off with a little effort. But that's just me. :lol:

• Members

You stole my thunder. I was going to point out that the tempo was all over the place- subtly, but still enough to notice. I've turned into a tempo nazi.
:D
And I concur with the reggae criticism. This kid is a good drummer overall- lots of pop and energy, and clean. I'd have him listen to some Stewart Copeland, something like "Walking On The Moon" or the breakdown in "So Lonely". I('m thinking he could pull it off with a little effort. But that's just me.
:lol:

See?

Not all of us drummers aren't as thick as you verticals think!

Archived