Advice appreciated

richardmac

• Members

I could really use some advice on an upcoming gig. I've already posted about this a little, but I've learned more details and I really value the advice of the gigging folks here. I'm a solo dude who plays guitar, acoustic guitar, and piano to backing tracks.

The gig is at a bar located IN a nudist community. The person who hired me says they want music that they can dance to. No problem, I said, and I asked her about the demographics - which decades of music would they most want to hear, from the 50's to today? And she responded "All of them! The crowd ranges from 21 to 70+."

Swell.

I posted about this gig previously and it was a pretty funny thread... best advice was "Try to imagine the audience WITH their clothes on." I am pretty sure that the majority of this crowd will be between 40 and 65. But I have two problems:

1. No one said anything about naked twenty somethings! If there are any attractive naked 20 something girls there, I'm in big trouble. I already struggle trying to remember the lyrics to some of the songs I play. Oh my.

2. I'm trying to figure out what music to go with for a crowd of that type of range. Should I go with a few songs from every decade? AS was stated in another thread, it's getting harder and harder to judge what type of music people will want to listen to based on age. And the host's advice to which decades was all of them. Is that what you'd do?

• Members

Well, what we do for the all-ages crowds like weddings is we do a few songs from different genres and decades, but they STILL need to be broadly familiar. I don't know what your setlist looks like, but I'd stick to the well-worn classics for such a crowd. Yeah...you want some 50s/60s songs for the older folks, and they'd probably like a LOT of stuff from those decades but it's the well-worn classics that the oldsters will like AND will have the 20 somethings out of the floor swinging their schwangs.

Good luck with any attractive 20 something girls that might be there. But remember...without pics, it didn't happen. :lol:

• Members

This may not be the advice you are looking for, but I say do your thing. I'm assuming you have a wide range of stuff to play, so start it how you normally would and then tailor your set accordingly. But in the end, they hired you. I assume someone had seen you before and knows what you do. So be you and play your stuff.

• Members

Funny situation, but I can assure you that there will be no attractive 20 something year olds at this party.

Co-sign.

Sounds like the OP has never actually BEEN TO a nudist camp...just like, I assure you, attractive 20-something girls.

• Members

A friend of mine played Roselawn once. I asked him how it was, he said: "...polite crowd, I only threw up twice".

Btw, his solution to the distraction problem was to play without his glasses. Everything was a big flabby blur.

• Members

I played with a band twice before at a nudist camp about 15 years ago..... there were no atractive people there and no 20 somethings either. It was like playing at a naked Moose club. But they enjoyed it and we made decent money. The band continued to play there after I left. Seriously, the first 15 minutes were a bit weird, then i got over it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I played the gig tonight. It was... interesting. Like playing at a Cougar Strip Club. There were a few older women who were in pretty damn good shape and they chose to dance directly in front of me pretty much the whole night. I tuned them out pretty successfully. But it wasn't easy.

As a previous poster said, they liked to dance and they were very polite. I'd play there again. Judging by how much they danced and clapped, I'd say I went over very well there. Still, I'm looking forward to my next regular non-nude gig. Playing to naked people is a little weird. But there was another first for me tonight - the bar paid me BEFORE I played. Haven't had that happen before.

I did NOT do the "When in Rome" thing. :)

Archived