No announcement yet.

Requests that make you go "uh...."

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requests that make you go "uh...."

1. I remember playing a particularly out in the sticks venue with my band at the time when one of the bouncers comes up, 6'3, and probably 300 pounds, with a bald head and a goatee and goes "Hey... do you guys know Mister Mister's "Take These Broken Wings"... it took me a second to process before I could even answer his question... wish I'd known it!

2. Played a room with a reputation as having the more "senior" crowd. I don't remember the order, but we played some combination of "Cupid Shuffle", "Play That Funky Music", "Save a Horse", "Billie Jean", "This Is How We Do It", "Brown Eyed Girl", and finished up with "Let's Get It On" when one of the more elderly bar patrons comes over and asks me, in all seriousness, if we know "any dance music". Again.. relatively speechless before saying "Other than stuff like we've just done, I don't think so..."

3. At a show in a resort town, I vivdly remember this really preppy looking white kid coming up to me.. had to be no more than 23.. short hair, button up shirt, khakis, very stereotypically "white".. and asking if we knew Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise". We did, and played it, and I thought very little of it, until not fifteen minutes later a guy from the other side of the bar, this time a black guy in his late 20s/early 30s who's blinged out, baggy clothes, and looking as "thug" as possible, comes up to me and asks if we know Green Day's "Holiday". Again, we did, and played it.. but it was certainly a lesson in never judging a book by it's cover.. and a reminder that music is a universal language.

Any funny or interesting requests stories?

Playing with the acoustic trio: "Play the Electric Slide!"

Shouting "It's electric!" after each chorus of Uncle John's Band went unappreciated.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

3. At a show in a resort town, I vivdly remember this really preppy looking white kid coming up to me.. had to be no more than 23.. short hair, button up shirt, khakis, very stereotypically "white".. and asking if we knew Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise". We did, and played it, and I thought very little of it, until not fifteen minutes later a guy from the other side of the bar, this time a black guy in his late 20s/early 30s who's blinged out, baggy clothes, and looking as "thug" as possible, comes up to me and asks if we know Green Day's "Holiday". Again, we did, and played it.. but it was certainly a lesson in never judging a book by it's cover.. and a reminder that music is a universal language.

Love this story
      Vocal Gear: Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | Synth Gear: iPad and apps | Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7

Comment

We had a request to do the theme song from The Littlest Hobo.... turns out it was the crew "theme song" for a sailing ship whose home port (and they were in town) we were playing in.
        Vocal Gear: Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | Synth Gear: iPad and apps | Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7

Comment

Not a song request,

But I've had several requests for people wanting my band to play anywhere from 1 to 2 hours extra, for free. That made me go, "uh...."

Also, as a stage manager/FOH engineer, I've had several big bands come up to me and want me to mic every horn, individually. That also made me go, "uh...."
          No, that's not normal. What's the mixer?

It's the behringer...

Found the problem.

Comment

There's been some doozys (doozies? ) over the years.

We got done playing a song by Bad Company or something when a guy came up and asked if we knew any Slayer. I was like, "yeah, I love 'em, but I don't think the band knows it..."

One guy kept demanding that I sing "18 And Life." Over and over. All night long. Every time we played there. He was like, "I *KNOW* you can sing it, man!" I was like, "Actually, I can't...I'd love to, but I can't hit those notes like Sebastian can." It was his obsession, that one song, that he was certain we could play. I liked his faith in our abilities.
            (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

1. I remember playing a particularly out in the sticks venue with my band at the time when one of the bouncers comes up, 6'3, and probably 300 pounds, with a bald head and a goatee and goes "Hey... do you guys know Mister Mister's "Take These Broken Wings"... it took me a second to process before I could even answer his question... wish I'd known it!

That's a great novelty song for you guys. I think it made a round of commercials a few years back.

A few years ago after finishing a sweat drenched set that included Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Green Day, Metallica, RATM, Velvet Revolver a woman in her late 20's comes up to me and asks if we knew the theme to 'Arthur'. It took me a minute to realize she was asking if we knew the 1981 soft pop hit "Best That You Can Do" by Christopher Cross. She was dead serious.
              so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

That's a great novelty song for you guys. I think it made a round of commercials a few years back.

I dunno.. the Mister Mister song is just so SLOW.. trying to keep the energy level up. I'd like to do it acoustic... but it's hard to sing too.. time might be better spent elsewhere!

Speaking of novelty songs from commercials.. pretty sure we're gonna do "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" here shortly.. and I'm gonna love doing that one! The other vocalist can nail it, and I love the energy!

Comment

The typical ones...people asking for female vocal songs when there are four men in the band. Playing a set of 60s and 70s rock for a Legion crowd all night, and somebody comes up and requests Metallica.

One night a guy asked me, "Can you play 'Rolling On the River'?"

I said, "You mean 'Proud Mary'? Sure!"

He got VERY agitated and yelled, "NO, God damn it...I want to hear 'Rolling On the River'!"

Probably the most random request I ever had was for Aaron Copland's 'Fanfare For the Common Man'. I kid you not.
                  Originally Posted by caveman

I'll bend over backwards to make things work but I'll be damned if I'll bend over forwards.

Digital Me

Comment

Speaking of novelty songs from commercials.. pretty sure we're gonna do "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" here shortly.. and I'm gonna love doing that one! The other vocalist can nail it, and I love the energy!

That is on our shortlist of next songs to tackle also...

Comment

We've gotten requests for Beyonce's "Single Ladies". To be fair, we do some Lady Gaga and Ke$ha.. but it's not quite the same thing..

Comment

We've been doing that one for a few years now and it's still on the setlist just about every gig. Our singer nails it.
                        Christian

SpaceCat
                        www.spacecatband.com

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Originally Posted by wheresgrant3

Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

Comment

2. Played a room with a reputation as having the more "senior" crowd. I don't remember the order, but we played some combination of "Cupid Shuffle", "Play That Funky Music", "Save a Horse", "Billie Jean", "This Is How We Do It", "Brown Eyed Girl", and finished up with "Let's Get It On" when one of the more elderly bar patrons comes over and asks me, in all seriousness, if we know "any dance music". Again.. relatively speechless before saying "Other than stuff like we've just done, I don't think so..."

I work at a well known university. One of the professors who is also an MD and black is a total metal head.

Comment

I work at a well known university. One of the professors who is also an MD and black is a total metal head.

I have friends that are black and listen to nothing but country.. and white friends who are almost exclusively into harder rap and hip hop... it wasn't even so much the race of the people alone as the overall persona that both guys gave off! They both kinda projected the exact opposite of the request each one made.. but hey, never assume!

Comment

I dunno.. the Mister Mister song is just so SLOW.. trying to keep the energy level up. I'd like to do it acoustic... but it's hard to sing too.. time might be better spent elsewhere!

you can always do it like this.

www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

Working...
                              X