Best methods of hanging a banner

• Members

Just curious how some of you go about hanging banners? I'm about to have a banner made and I was wondering if many of you who use banners are just having them built with grommets and then hanging them from a truss or if there is some other method that works better? The banner size is 4' x 6' vinyl. I thought about buying one of those cheap On Stage brand light trusses for those venues that don't already have one to hang it from.

• Members

Have the banner made with double material stiched at the corners where the grommets are. Wear and tear and wind, etc, can rip the grommets loose from the banner. (voice of experience)

Also, what I have done on small clubs where we play frequently is to have a couple of drywall style screws placed unobstrusively on the back wall if possible (at the right height) so the banner w/a couple of small bungee cords simply pops onto the screws.

• Members

...we have a home-made stand made from painted PVC pipe we can run it from.

this.

Our drummer built a pvc frame that our banner (10x4) lives in. We can either hang it from a truss or stand it up in front of/ around the stage. With the frame around it, it's nice & legible from just about anywhere in the bar, but can be especially fun trying to get in/out of the van on windy nights, though :cop:

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1800.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

• Members

we have a 4x6 with grommets. I found it's hard to get it to stay tight, so I zip tied a piece of pvc to it via the grommets. Then I can use the built in tie ups it has and hang it from ceilings, etc. We dont' use it everywhere, some venues just don't have a good place for it.

• Members

Truss = Pro.

21869_253229352038_114831147038_3854222_

That said, yes, serious pain in the ass potential.

If you can get away with a vertically-oriented banner -- maybe one on each side of the drummer -- one of those retractable professional banner holders where the banner rolls up into the stand would be sweet as hell.

retractable-banner-stand-alt2.jpg

• Members

I tried that very thing (two retractable banner stands). They last exactly one gig before ripping. We probably won't be able to use the banner everywhere anyway because more and more of these damn sportsbar / live band venues we play have monster TV screens right behind the drum riser. One place leaves it down all night. I'm in DFW and we have every type of pro sports team there is so there's always some game on while we're playing that place. There's nothing like having half the crowd spontaneously cheering mid song for something that has nothing to do with us. Sorry...little rant starting to come out there. :)

• Members

Ours is about 10' x 10' on vinyl. It has lasted over three years, so that would be about 50 gigs. It needs a little cleaning, but it is in good general shape. We wrap it around an aluminum pipe when not in use, but often use the same pipe, and strong nylon string to tie it from hooks or nails in clubs.

• Members

I tried that very thing (two retractable banner stands). They last exactly one gig before ripping. We probably won't be able to use the banner everywhere anyway because more and more of these damn sportsbar / live band venues we play have monster TV screens right behind the drum riser. One place leaves it down all night. I'm in DFW and we have every type of pro sports team there is so there's always some game on while we're playing that place. There's nothing like having half the crowd spontaneously cheering mid song for something that has nothing to do with us. Sorry...little rant starting to come out there.
:)

For situations like this you could always bring a cheap netbook with some visualization software, or play videos, or make up a powerpoint. HDMI cable into the TV, and you have a fancy high tech scrolling banner.

You could even have it programed to have the lyrics scroll during singalong songs if you wanted to get fancy with it.

dk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is a funny thread for me, only because our banner came floating down onto the stage in the middle of a song at this past weekend's gig!

:lol:

Damn cheap-ass duct tape!

:mad:

Get a roll of Gorilla Tape. That shit will stick to anything. We bought it when we had a couple of venues with just tumbled stone/brick backgrounds and there was no other way to hang it.

We have grommets and everything else mentioned. Depending on what's available to hang in on or attach it to, we use zip ties, thumb tacks, gaffer tape (if it's a delicate or painted surface), or Gorilla tape. We haven't come across a venue yet where we weren't able to hang ours except one where the stage was in a corner of the room and the backdrop was huge velvet curtains :lol:

• Members

I tried that very thing (two retractable banner stands). They last exactly one gig before ripping. We probably won't be able to use the banner everywhere anyway because more and more of these damn sportsbar / live band venues we play have monster TV screens right behind the drum riser. One place leaves it down all night. I'm in DFW and we have every type of pro sports team there is so there's always some game on while we're playing that place. There's nothing like having half the crowd spontaneously cheering mid song for something that has nothing to do with us. Sorry...little rant starting to come out there.
:)

Damn, that's sick. Why are they having a band play when they wanna watch tv?

• Members

We just use a couple of big honkin' nails driven into the wall where we wanna hang it. Girl singer goes to distract the bartender/staff while we bang the nails in (we try to do it when the drummer sets up so it sounds like snare hits). End of the night they usually come out kinda easily or else we pound 'em home.