So it's over...

• Members

The "classic alt" band I tried to put together is officially dead and buried.

First we lost our bass player who the other two (and I actually agreed) was irreplaceable. After several months hiatus, I tried a couple of other guys but time issues were always a problem since we all played in other bands.

We were actually close to getting on stage by the end of 2011, but then the guitarist got his own "dream gig" of playing in a semi-touring gospel bluegrass band.

So...my dream of having my own band with my choice of players and format is dead.

At least I still have my regular band, but giving up on my own thing was tough. :cry:

• Members

Bummer dude. But you never know what comes around the corner.

My current band was FOR YEARS just this 5-piece bar band that I was constantly frustrated with because it was neither MY dream gig nor something I was that happy doing. I tried to put together my "dream band" on the side at least 3 different times, with it always falling apart for various reasons.

Finally I just decided that "there's no place like home" and I decided to revamp my SOLID band into something better. It's not my "dream gig" but it's much more than it was and much closer than I ever thought it would be to what I really want to do.

Not that that option exists for you....but just saying that...you never know what might come next.

• Members

Classic alt pretty much envelopes 70s and 80s punk, new wave and alternative and lots of "MTV bands" from early in the network's history and into the early 90s. Everything from the Ramones to Flock of Seagulls to REM, to The Smithereens, to The Smiths, and so on. A lot of late 90s alt has found its way to classic status as well, like Green Day, Weezer, Cake, etc.

That was the gist of the project,

• Members

Bummer dude. But you never know what comes around the corner.

My current band was FOR YEARS just this 5-piece bar band that I was constantly frustrated with because it was neither MY dream gig nor something I was that happy doing. I tried to put together my "dream band" on the side at least 3 different times, with it always falling apart for various reasons.

Finally I just decided that "there's no place like home" and I decided to revamp my SOLID band into something better. It's not my "dream gig" but it's much more than it was and much closer than I ever thought it would be to what I really want to do.

Not that that option exists for you....but just saying that...you never know what might come next.

My regular band is still going strong, and I am thankful for that. Just wanted that side thing to fulfill that other side of my musical taste.

• Members

Classic alt pretty much envelopes 70s and 80s punk, new wave and alternative and lots of "MTV bands" from early in the network's history and into the early 90s. Everything from the Ramones to Flock of Seagulls to REM, to The Smithereens, to The Smiths, and so on. A lot of late 90s alt has found its way to classic status as well, like Green Day, Weezer, Cake, etc.

I would have joined a band like that in a heartbeat. Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

• Members

I would have joined a band like that in a heartbeat. Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

Same here, and I'm a bass player, too. I've actually tried to get a similar styled band together as far back as the early to mid 90s when those classic alt. rock compilation series started coming out (Rock of the 80s, Sedated in the 80s, Living in Oblivion, and the premiere one, Rhino's Just Can't Enough).

Just joined a band that does some of the guitar based music from that time period (Pretenders, REM, Squeeze, Plimsouls, Nick Lowe, Translator, Smithereens, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, Specials, etc...), along with some classic rock style stuff and newer material, but I would love to do a band that just focused on that era, but also included some of the more keyboard centric songs/bands.

• Members

Classic alt pretty much envelopes 70s and 80s punk, new wave and alternative and lots of "MTV bands" from early in the network's history and into the early 90s. Everything from the Ramones to Flock of Seagulls to REM, to The Smithereens, to The Smiths, and so on.

Planning a move to Chicago by any chance?

Here's an actual list of who we'll be hitting next time out:

Billy Idol/Gen X, New Order, The La's, English Beat, The Clash, Romantics, Duran Duran, Cure, Echo/Bunnymen, Stone Roses, U2, Vapors, Icicle Works, INXS, Devo, Knack, Flock of Seagulls, Big Audio Dynamite, Charlatans UK, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, Modern English, Tears for Fears, Blur, REM, Jesus Jones, Big Country, Peter Schilling, Gary Numan, Cult, Ramones

Our frontman is going to start playing occasional keys (along with vox and guitar duties) so we can start incorporating more synth-dependent material, but I think real consideration would be given to adding a fifth member if you were able to juggle keys with maybe some rhythm guitar, tambourine/shakers, backup vox, the occasional sax lead....and oh yeah, if you were a hot chick.

:eek:

:thu:

If relocation isn't in the cards for you, just keep in mind that this kind of project CAN be made to work, at least for the next couple years or so. Don't feel like you have to totally abaondon the concept.

• Members

Planning a move to Chicago by any chance?

Here's an actual list of who we'll be hitting next time out:

Billy Idol/Gen X, New Order, The La's, English Beat, The Clash, Romantics, Duran Duran, Cure, Echo/Bunnymen, Stone Roses, U2, Vapors, Icicle Works, INXS, Devo, Knack, Flock of Seagulls, Big Audio Dynamite, Charlatans UK, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, Modern English, Tears for Fears, Blur, REM, Jesus Jones, Big Country, Peter Schilling, Gary Numan, Cult, Ramones

Our frontman is going to start playing occasional keys (along with vox and guitar duties) so we can start incorporating more synth-dependent material, but I think real consideration would be given to adding a fifth member if you were able to juggle keys with maybe some rhythm guitar, tambourine/shakers, backup vox, the occasional sax lead....and oh yeah, if you were a hot chick.

:thu:

If relocation isn't in the cards for you, just keep in mind that this kind of project CAN be made to work, at least for the next couple years or so. Don't feel like you have to totally abaondon the concept.

That's an awesome list that would keep me there all night.

• Members

That's an awesome list that would keep me there all night.

Thanks. We've put a lot of thought into who/what we include/play. We KNOW that by making the choices we make, we're cutting ourselves out of the gigs where someone says '80's' and means that to include acts like Journey, Bryan Adams, etc. But that's not what we want to play, and we're sticking with it. If the gigs dry up completely, so be it.

Be warned: you wouldn't be able to sit 5' from the stage and hold a quiet conversation!

• Members

Way cool bro lot good stuff came from those bands and sorry hear it didn't work out for ya better luck next time.

• Members

Be warned: you wouldn't be able to sit 5' from the stage and hold a quiet conversation!

That's fine and I wouldn't expect to. A couple of weeks ago I had a Saturday night off so my wife and I took a couple of our kids/spouses out barhopping to hear some music. In one club, there was a very good cover band playing but they were so loud, we were like 30 feet from the stage off to the side and we had to lean over and yell in each others'ears to talk. They had a good crowd, but the dance floor was empty at 11 o'clock. Maybe it was packed later, but we left after one set.

• Members

Me too. Now all the band needs is a steady clientele of 50-something musicians, and they'll be good-to-go!

40-to-50-something musicians, please.

But don't forget their WIVES; it's ALL about getting the wives hooked. The rest is cake.

• Members

That's fine and I wouldn't expect to. A couple of weeks ago I had a Saturday night off so my wife and I took a couple of our kids/spouses out barhopping to hear some music. In one club, there was a very good cover band playing but they were so loud, we were like 30 feet from the stage off to the side and we had to lean over and yell in each others'ears to talk. They had a good crowd, but the dance floor was empty at 11 o'clock. Maybe it was packed later, but we left after one set.

30 feet from the stage requires yelling = I won't be there either, unless it's an actual rock show at a real/legit venue and that's the sole reason why I'm there in the first place.

• Members

Thanks. We've put a lot of thought into who/what we include/play. We KNOW that by making the choices we make, we're cutting ourselves out of the gigs where someone says '80's' and means that to include acts like Journey, Bryan Adams, etc. But that's not what we want to play, and we're sticking with it. If the gigs dry up completely, so be it.

You know.. ^^ This really rings true in a major way. Journey, Bryan Adams, etc.. we started playing them because we compromised. We compromised by picking up SWA, even though none of us wanted to play that song. We saw the way people reacted and kept on compromising and before we knew it, we were playing the exact same {censored} as every other band. We made a decision a couple of months ago to go back to our old format, which was more on a level with 'what we want to play' because quite frankly, when we look back on it, we got a lot more followers and compliments when we weren't playing the same {censored} as everyone else.

FWIW, "what we want" is a good mix of mostly 90's grunge / rock / post grunge and it works for us.

FTW, play what other bands wont!

• Members

We saw the way people reacted and kept on compromising ...

We made a decision a couple of months ago to go back to our old format, which was more on a level with 'what we want to play' because quite frankly, when we look back on it, we got a lot more followers and compliments!

These two sentences conflict with each other. You did "compromising" songs because they were getting a better reaction than your old stuff, but then you went back to your old stuff and got an even BETTER reaction?

Maybe the BAND just got better and the material wasn't all that relevant? Or maybe the 2nd reaction was one of "fewer people were into it but those fewer had greater enthusaism"?

In either case, I think it's a mistake to put too much emphasis on what other bands are doing. If a song will work for your band and it's one you think you can really sell and your crowd will really dig, then the LAST thing I'd worry about is whether Band X plays the same song or not.

• Members

You know.. ^^ This really rings true in a major way. Journey, Bryan Adams, etc.. we started playing them because we compromised. We compromised by picking up SWA, even though none of us wanted to play that song. We saw the way people reacted and kept on compromising and before we knew it, we were playing the exact same {censored} as every other band. We made a decision a couple of months ago to go back to our old format, which was more on a level with 'what we want to play' because quite frankly, when we look back on it, we got a lot more followers and compliments when we weren't playing the same {censored} as everyone else.

FWIW, "what we want" is a good mix of mostly 90's grunge / rock / post grunge and it works for us.

FTW, play what other bands wont!

It all comes back to the same thing: If you have the personality and entertainment value, you can pretty much play anything you want. If you stand there like statues, the song list itself has to do more of the heavy lifting.

If you have BOTH great personality/entertainment AND all the "compromise" songs = $$

Archived