Any of you cover acts have Radiohead songs that work?

Crustee

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

did Karma Police for solo acoustic shows worked okay at the college bars. Radiohead seem to be one of those bands where MORE people have strong feelings about them one way or the other rather than middle of the pack, take 'em or leave 'em attitudes.

• Members

so basically, you have a problem with songs that appeal to a wide audience?

No... I think what he is saying is that every band picks the lowest hanging fruit, and most bands tend to butcher even that. I've seen 'Creep' performed by plenty of rock bands with the finesse of a claw hammer. Still it's the most accessible song. I couldn't imagine covering anything else unless you were an acoustic act.

• Members

No... I think what he is saying is that every band picks the lowest hanging fruit, and most bands tend to butcher even that. I've seen 'Creep' performed by plenty of rock bands with the finesse of a claw hammer. Still it's the most accessible song. I couldn't imagine covering anything else unless you were an acoustic act.

That's not what I got out of his comment, especially with the :facepalm: @ the end.

I read it as "any one who is lame enough to play SHA is probably lame enough to play Creep". It smacked of elitism.

You guys may be worried about your "musical integrity". Me, I'm gonna play what the people wanna hear, even if I've played it a million times before.

• Members

We used to play "No Surprises" in a former band, it was really fun and sounded good. Beautiful ballad. Radiohead ain't exactly Top 40, but people that dig on them (and in my experience that is most "cool/with it" young folks) will be blown away by a good cover of them.

• Members

We used to play "No Surprises" in a former band, it was really fun and sounded good. Beautiful ballad. Radiohead ain't exactly Top 40, but people that dig on them (and in my experience that is most "cool/with it" young folks) will be blown away by a good cover of them.

Which begs the inevitable question:

Do most/many 'cool/with it' young folks go out to see cover bands in the first place?

In my experience/market, that's a big "no, they absolutely do not". I wonder if that's very much different in other parts...?

• Members

That's not what I got out of his comment, especially with the
:facepalm:
@ the end.

I read it as "any one who is lame enough to play SHA is probably lame enough to play Creep". It smacked of elitism.

You guys may be worried about your "musical integrity". Me, I'm gonna play what the people wanna hear, even if I've played it a million times before.

That's cool, mate - to each their own. Personally, if I go see a band and they play "the lowest hanging fruit," that's when I go get my beer. :)

The world is full of variety. :thu:

• Members

That's cool, mate - to each their own. Personally, if I go see a band and they play "the lowest hanging fruit," that's when I go get my beer.
:)

The world is full of variety.
:thu:

Well, since the "lowest hanging fruit" is what 99% of the patrons wanna hear, you must drink a lot.

Trust me, there are a ZILLION songs I'd love to play, but they don't make any sense in a bar band scenario. We're paid to give the people what they want, and that's what we do, and why we stay so busy. If I could make a profitable night out of nothing but B sides, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

• Members

Yes. It is.

So you're saying cool/with it people in other locales (I'm assuming you don't just mean your market) by and large/generally go see cover bands?

I personally find that very hard to believe.

Now if by 'cool/with it young folks' you actually mean 'youthful masses who follow trends like so many Ugg boot, Ed Hardy trucker hat and Affliction t-shirt wearing sheep/lemmings/insert herd mentality animal here', ok, then I totally believe you.

I just dont equate those kind of folks with 'cool' or 'with it' myself.

• Members

So you're saying cool/with it people in other locales (I'm assuming you don't just mean your market) by and large/generally go see cover bands?

Now if by 'cool/with it young folks' you actually mean 'youthful masses who follow trends like so many Ugg boot, Ed Hardy trucker hat and Affliction t-shirt wearing sheep/lemmings/insert herd mentality animal here', ok, then I totally believe you.

Thank the baby Jeebus we have you to head up the control group....

• Members

Thank the baby Jeebus we have you to head up the control group....

Sorry I hurt your tender sensitivities & that I apparently had the be the one that made you realize you're neither cool nor with it.

• Members

Sorry I hurt your tender sensitivities & that I apparently had the be the one that made you realize you're neither cool nor with it.

yes, my life is essentially over, now that I've discovered that you are the benchmark of cool.

:cry:

• Members

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The only people who won't go see cover bands are the people that think they are too cool to go see a cover band. In reality, those people are not that cool.

You said in your experience cool people don't go see cover bands. I'm curious what kind of people you consider 'cool' then.

This isn't an argument about cover bands anyway. You don't have to be a cover band to cover a song.

• Members

yes, my life is essentially over, now that I've discovered that you are the benchmark of cool.

:cry:

Did I ever say I was cool, much less the benchmark of it?

At least I know I'm cool enough to be able to read.

• Members

This isn't an argument about cover bands anyway. You don't have to be a cover band to cover a song.

Ah, but to me the discussion as it stands is absolutely about cover bands:

IME, young hip/cool audiences that go to see bands go to see ones that play (largely) originals; cover-focused bands are (generally speaking) for the uncool and/or older (you know, age 30 and up) folks. If we're talking major metro area, you could also pretty much paint it along the lines of urban vs. suburban.

I have never lived in a market where the nightlife targeted at hip 20-somethings included cover bands in the least. Not even close.

Maybe the world in 2012 is far different than it was in the late 1980's-through-(roughly)-2010, when I last spent any time in those kind of venues, but I kind of doubt it's that drastically different.

If you had said young/hip/cool folks were partial to DJs, I'd totally agree though.

• Members

Ah, but to me the discussion as it stands is absolutely about cover bands:

IME, young hip/cool audiences that go to see bands go to see ones that play (largely) originals; cover-focused bands are (generally speaking) for the uncool and/or older (you know, age 30 and up) folks. If we're talking major metro area, you could also pretty much paint it along the lines of urban vs. suburban.

I have never lived in a market where the nightlife targeted at hip 20-somethings included cover bands in the least. Not even close.

Maybe the world in 2012 is far different than it was in the late 1980's-through-(roughly)-2010, when I last spent any time in those kind of venues, but I kind of doubt it's that drastically different.

If you had said young/hip/cool folks were partial to DJs, I'd totally agree though.

You asked if it was different in other parts, and that has been my experience. Many venues book both original and cover bands, and the patrons tend to be the same on any given night. It has more to do with the venue and less to do with the band. Hip/cool/20 somethings go where other like-minded hip/cool/20 somethings are. There are various groups of hip/cool/20 somethings. The afflication/ed hardy group, the hipster group, etc. Since this is a thread about Radiohead, I've seen all types of hip/cool/20 somethings dig it.

Archived