"Mustang Sally" and "Brown Eyed Girl" of The Future: What are they?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No way to know. For one thing, both of those songs--and most others in that catagory--are songs that were pretty dead for several years and then have nostalgic comebacks a decade or two later. The current songs that become "standards" will be like those: their will be hit 'remakes' of them in a decade or two; they'll be used in hit movies or TV shows, sung at ballparks and sporting events, etc.

• Members

maybe some tom petty or somthing. I dont think you can predict it. Its a wait and see what old songs stay on bands setlists

I know for sure that down here they will be playing gagaritaville long after everyone in my band is dead

• Members

Songs that bands cover that seem to have universal appeal with a range of age groups

"Don't Stop Beliving"

Blister In The Sun

Living On A Prayer

My Own Worst Enemy

Crazy Bitch

You Shook Me All Night Long

And I've never played a lick of Mustang Sally... and maybe never will. In NY it's not the low hanging fruit crowd-pleasers that other songs tend to be.

• Members

Songs that bands cover that seem to have universal appeal with a range of age groups

"Don't Stop Beliving"

Blister In The Sun

Living On A Prayer

My Own Worst Enemy

Crazy Bitch

You Shook Me All Night Long

Most of those songs are already well over 20 years old and have long been established as MS or BEG type standards. I think the OP is asking which MODERN tunes will stick around. I don't think it really has anything to do with the song.

Could something like "Sexy and I Know It" be something bands are playing in 20-30 years? Sure. Why not? It's no worse than "Sweet Caroline" or "Blister in the Sun". But it won't be because the song was such a bit hit in 2012. It will be because something happens in the future that helps to connect that song to the audiences of the future.

• Members

a modern song? Out of all of them I will have to put my money on Dynamite. We picked it up summer of 2010 right when radio in my area was starting to play it constantly. This song STILL gets the crowd going even 2 years later.

• Members

The only songs I can think of that have a chance are already 15 years old. Mr. Jones, Hey Jealousy, Allison Road, Lightning Crashes, Shine, Man in a Box maybe?

Hmmmm...all good songs that might be classics but I hardly see them as MS, BEG type "pack the dance floor with girls" songs years from now...

...I know things are different out your way, but girls requesting Alice In Chains? Really?

• Members

a modern song? Out of all of them I will have to put my money on Dynamite. We picked it up summer of 2010 right when radio in my area was starting to play it constantly. This song STILL gets the crowd going even 2 years later.

My vote would be I Got A Feeling

• Members

My vote would be I Got A Feeling

Dynamite, I Gotta Feeling, Hey Soul Sister, Low, Raise Your Glass--and although they are already in the dormant stage---Let's Get It Started and Get The Party Started are two I'd predict to make nostalgic comebacks in a few years.

• Members
Hmmmm...all good songs that might be classics but I hardly see them as MS, BEG type "pack the dance floor with girls" songs years from now...

...I know things are different out your way, but girls requesting Alice In Chains? Really?

yes, the biggest AIC fans I know around here are female. If The Rooster or Man in a Box get requested it is almost always by a female. As for the first part, I just don't see any newer songs having that power, but who knows. So much popular music is throw-away stuff these days.

• Members

why on earth is that? Staley was kind of a heart-throb to a lot of the young females at the time, for whatever reason.

A) I don't remember too many chicks being into Staley or AIC even back in the 90s and among those who WERE

B) I'd be scared as {censored} to see them now....

• Members
More songs that have already reached BEG proportions...

This Is How We Do It

Sweet Child Of Mine

Hot In Herre

Fight For Your Right To Party

The only grunge tune I seeing being in the discussion is Teen Spirit

except that BEG gets played by bands in their teens to bands in their 60s or higher. I don't think you can say those songs cover that same area.

Archived