Rocking the Retirement Home and other "Odd" gigs

• Members

I just got back from a gig at a retirement home LOL.

Not only did I not know the setlist (they don't use one), but the guy had just given me directions that said "the center".

Well, it was a "senior center". :lol:

But ya know what? Those old folks got up and danced their butts off! It was really kinda neat! I've got pictures too!!!! Oh man. I had a blast. One old guy I talked to told me he's 84 and his father, grandfather and great-grandfather all died at age 84. Can you imagine having THAT hanging over your head?

I mean really. It puts things into perspective. But he was real comfortable in his own skin. I guess he has some kind of lung cancer but I couldn't tell. He told me his birthday is in a month. Yeah. Like I said: puts things into perspective I guess.

Oh yeah, and that cat on pedal steel and fiddle was fantastic. He's the one that played the Opry. My God, that fiddle was in perfect tune, like a violin. Just the sweetest sounds I've ever heard. But ya know the rest of the band was just kinda regular, which in its own way is also cool cuz he's just making music where and when he can and not being real demanding about it. I had to apologize to him because on the last song I forgot what key we were in, I was so mesmerized by the steel and fiddle. :facepalm:

Oh yeah, they want me back and I'll be back. It's worth it. Barely made enough to cover the gas but I don't care. Wow. What a trip this life is....

Got any "non" rock and roll gig stories to tell like this?

• Members

I do a solo (keys and sing) gig once a month at an 'end of life' facility. It's very rewarding to do and they seem to enjoy it. Gotta beat staring at the wall and waiting to die I guess although with my singing, I'm not so sure LOL.

You forget that these old folks were young once too and had all the same sorts of dreams and hopes that we do today. There's a lot of great stories and history in places like this, you just have to take the time to go find it. In this day of instant news we often forget all the great stuff that's right there in front of us if we just look.

• Members

Bless you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot send enough praise your way for doing that. Seniors get so completely forgotten about.
:thu:

^ when my mother was in a nursing home it was guys like you that brought the world to her and reminded her that she was still a human being because she was just too frail to go out among it and experience it anymore. What you are doing is a great thing...:)

• Members

Got any "non" rock and roll gig stories to tell like this?

That's cool man! You should do some more...

I played one too a few months ago (I think I posted it in another forum???)

They were really appreciate and a good crowd.

Not only did I make money, but I made money in the middle of the week in the middle of the day (a dead spot and hard to fill hole for live music).

We played surf music, chuck berry, beatles, mustang sally, yadayadayada

basically the stuff that the folks at the center made (retirement home music USE to be Glen Miller era stuff 25 years ago but most of them have passed on).You gotta play to the client and now days as more and more baby boomers populate the homes "their" music is old time rock n roll (another 5-10 years and that'll be right on).

• Members

We played surf music, chuck berry, beatles, mustang sally, yadayadayada

basically the stuff that the folks at the center made (retirement home music USE to be Glen Miller era stuff 25 years ago but most of them have passed on).You gotta play to the client and now days as more and more baby boomers populate the homes "their" music is old time rock n roll (another 5-10 years and that'll be right on).

I'll bet a lot of them recognized what you played and even enjoyed it, but that's my era -early boomer - not theirs. I'm 64 and nowhere near ready for a retirement home, if by that you mean assisted living. My parents - 86 and 88 - would still be candidates for Glenn Miller, but even folks in their mid to late seventies aren't really rock fans.

If and when I'm 80 and still able, God willing, I imagine there will be a house band where I live . . . . . .

• Members

but even folks in their mid to late seventies aren't really rock fans.

Correct,

but in 5 - 10 years the folks in their mid 70s will be YOU, which are rock fans.

You're not suggesting that (up until this point) just because "retirement home music" has been Gershwin and Miller and their ilk that it will ALWAYS be that are you?

• Members

Correct,

but in 5 - 10 years the folks in their mid 70s will be YOU, which are rock fans.

You're not suggesting that (up until this point) just because "retirement home music" has been Gershwin and Miller and their ilk that it will ALWAYS be that are you?

I have several service contracts with nursing homes, and I think Glenn Miller is permanently wired into the building intercom . . .

No, really, I'm serious about playing in a nursing home house band if and when . . . . hope I can find a drummer who can play a backbeat.

• Members

Correct,

Ya gotta figure ,, mick jagger is 68 years old. I know JP has played SPI a few times when the winter texans are in town. They range in age from latter 50s to their 80s.

They like rock, and modern country , and they drink like fish, party 7 days a week , and even have been known to smoke a little herb. We joke about the winter texan creed. You cant drink all day if you dont start first thing in the morning

Some of the best paying gigs down here in the valley are pvt parties for the many RV parks and gated communities that are in the valley. Next week we fly up to MO to do a two day for one of our winter fans at his golf course country club.

I honestly like playing for the older crowd. They are loyal, they enjoy live music , and they have money to spend, and dont have all the behavior issues you find with beginner drinkers. They know how to have MOE fun. JP,,,ya know what i am talkin about lol.

• Members

They know how to have MOE fun. JP,,,ya know what i am talkin about lol.

Yeah

and they love to teach me how to drink scotch

:wave:

....although I'm pretty sure the folks in "the homes" are in not in that mode' they're probably just trying to hang on.

• Members

We played old and old-style country and some 50's era rock and roll, like "Let's Go To The Hop". I bet some of the "old" country is actually "new" to some of them but they like the style. It was neat to see how many relatives were there too!

This was out in Hodgenville and that is a really close-knit town with a spirit about it that just seems blessed.

Remember, that town brought us the greatest president in our nations history (Lincoln)....

Yeah J. Paul I got that facepalm! But man I'm actually serious. He played it like a fiddle, believe that but it was sweet. Like I said this cat played with some heavy hitters back in the day and after hearing him I can see why. Best darn fiddle player I've ever been around and I've been around a few.

• Members

Yeah

and they love to teach me how to drink scotch

:wave:

....although I'm pretty sure the folks in "the homes" are in not in that mode' they're probably just trying to hang on.

LOL ,,,I try not to take any lessons, so i dont end up in the nursing home before they do.

• Members

LOL ,,,I try not to take any lessons, so i dont end up in the nursing home before they do.

LOL.

How old is Willie now? Close to 80 I bet. And believe me I don't think I'd wanna take smoking lessons from that guy anytime soon. Toby Keith found out what that's like!

I went to a NORML rally years ago and turns out if I woulda stuck around a few minutes I would have had that chance, as the guy I went with "got on the bus" with old Willie. He was a huge ex-biker turned hippie and yeah, his story was about the same. Old Willie smoked him right under the table!!!!!

• Members

the stuff that the folks at the center made (retirement home music USE to be Glen Miller era stuff 25 years ago but most of them have passed on).You gotta play to the client and now days as more and more baby boomers populate the homes "their" music is old time rock n roll (another 5-10 years and that'll be right on).

Yep that's true, although I find that rather sad. But I still play for some non-nursing home audiences old enough to appreciate the Glen Miller era. I rock OUT on Chattanooga Choo-Choo! :rawk: Although I do it (non-shuffle) Floyd Cramer version. Older people remember that quaint era when even unaccompanied instrumentalists could be stars. Younger audiences are hung up on that vocal {censored}. :rolleyes:

Actually, reading this thread makes me feel guilty, because I seldom play nursing homes nowadays. I used to do it once a month for $50 and a nice catfish dinner, before I got busy with that day-job stuff. There were several feisty retired musicians and music teachers at that particular assisted-living facility and they cut me no slack. Sometimes they would sit down beside me and and teach me a genuine, blue-hair song. Also they wouldn't let me cheat by only doing the slow themes to classical compositions, for example ("That's GOOD! Now where's the REST of it?"):D

• Members

I used to book senior bands to play at the senior home I worked at. The thing that amazed me the most was these guys in their 60's and 70's coming in with these AMAZING guitars from the 50's. I'm talking pre cbs strats and old Gretsch's. Many of the guys didn't know the value of them but used to say "Yeah my parents got it for me when I was a kid, I'll probably give it to my grandkids when I die". Like the residents of the home, they were great people with tons of great stories.

Best part was after chatting for a while a few of them would say "Here, you wanna play it?":love:

• Members

We once played a gig at the state mental hospital/housing center at Buckley. Our drummer had some connection on the staff and he got us the job. One guy stood all evening with his head in the left main PA speaker. Another guy danced so energetically his pants kept falling down. He wouldn't bother pulling them up, and somebody else kept fixing them for him. Most of the people were very nice and appreciative. They had a great time and almost everyone danced the whole time. Only a few people were scary.

• Members

We did a "Spring Fling" at a 55+ community a couple months ago. We had no idea what to expect. Roll up to their community center and go in and it's one of the nicest venues we had ever played. Huge stage, power all over the place, built in lights. Better than average money. About 80 people who danced all night long. They asked us back for their winter dance, and we're going to do it.

• Members

There were several feisty retired musicians and music teachers at that particular assisted-living facility and they cut me no slack. Sometimes they would sit down beside me and and teach me a genuine, blue-hair song. Also they wouldn't let me cheat by only doing the slow themes to classical compositions, for example ("That's GOOD! Now where's the REST of it?")
:D

That's awesome

good stuff

crackin'the whip :cop:

• Members

My Duo have played for Retirement Homes and also our local Hospice.

They break your heart. Especially the Retirement Homes where the residents have Alzheimers and stuff.

They sit there, slumped over to one side and seem to be in a far away place ......until, you glance over and see a foot gently moving to the beat perhaps, or a finger tapping - and then the one that is guaranteed to put a lump in your throat so big that you can hardly sing - you see their lips moving as they mouth the words.

Tough gigs but rewarding.

Especially when a really really sick person in a Hospice gets up to dance, even though they can hardly walk.

I think everyone should play at least two of these places.

The experience really makes you put things into perspective.

• Members

My Duo have played for Retirement Homes and also our local Hospice.

They break your heart. Especially the Retirement Homes where the residents have Alzheimers and stuff.

They sit there, slumped over to one side and seem to be in a far away place ......until, you glance over and see a foot gently moving to the beat perhaps, or a finger tapping - and then the one that is guaranteed to put a lump in your throat so big that you can hardly sing - you see their lips moving as they mouth the words.

Tough gigs but rewarding.

Especially when a really really sick person in a Hospice gets up to dance, even though they can hardly walk.

I think everyone should play at least two of these places.

The experience really makes you put things into perspective.

Couldn't say it any better than that, IMO.

• Members

In the part of town I live in, the list of non-paid volunteers playing at the local retirement homes and assisted living homes is so long that it's hard to even get a gig there. I think it's great that folks are so giving of their time. I know if I were stuck someplace like that, with no means to get out and do things on my own, I'd sure appreciate having someone bring some form of entertainment to me. I hope you're able to continue doing this occasionally and that it sets an example for others to follow in the future. We're all gonna' be old sooner or later, if we're lucky, and I'm sure we'd appreciate having some live entertainment to break up the days and distract us from the boredom of just waiting...

Archived