Played my first gig with IEM's.

• Members

Pros: The adjustable mixer, quiet stage

Cons: When the mains are on I'm hearing that along with the monitor, which tends to delay my timing as I tend to want to lock into that "outside" sound my ears are so used to hearing.

I guess that's why they make custom molded plugs???

I know if Buddy Rich was there I woulda gotten the "clams" chewout after. :facepalm:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Played all gigs with IEM for the first time this year.

My pros and cons:

Pro: clarity of monitoring... Esp. Singing harmony and hearing the voices.

Be able to move around freely. Soloing on the edge of the stage without halfway guessing where you bend those notes exactly.

Really quite volume overall... I guess its really more healthy this way.

Change mix on stage on the fly without gesturing to the sound guy.

Cons: only cons so far: not hearing the crowd reaction sometimes.

Another gadget to buy batteries for :(.

Little con: havent found a way to smoothly change guitars without messing up the earplugs.

Greets.

• Members

Cons: When the mains are on I'm hearing that along with the monitor, which tends to delay my timing as I tend to want to lock into that "outside" sound my ears are so used to hearing.

I guess that's why they make custom molded plugs??? :

Yes, although there are non-customs that can fit better as well...

The closer you get to a full seal, the less what you experienced will occur.

• Members

Yes, although there are non-customs that can fit better as well...

The closer you get to a full seal, the less what you experienced will occur.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific brand/model?

Something in-expensive preferably.

Thanks. :wave:

• Members

That ocurred to me.

But I am not comfortable with having the plug-cable under the guitar strap because it might get stuck and pulled off my ears.

Clip the IEM cable to your collar. Also, see if you can run the cable up over your ears - that might provide a little bit of strain relief, too.

-Dan.

• Members

Do you have a recommendation for a specific brand/model?

Something in-expensive preferably.

Thanks.
:wave:

Here's what I've looking at as a "bargain-basement IEM solution".

I don't know how they compare to the professional IEM solutions, but I just picked up a pair of these to use while running, and I've been quite happy with them. They create a good tight seal, they stay seated in the ear without working their way loose, and they seem to have pretty good frequency response across the spectrum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEElectronics-Over-the-Ear-M6-Sound-Isolating-Sports-In-Ear-Headphones-Clear-/140760143969?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item20c5f55861

I'm sure pro-level IEMs blow them out of the water for clarity and overall performance...but I doubt they'll deliver better bang for the buck. If you're looking to go as cheap as possible (around $20), you could do a whole lot worse.

Carvin also offers IEM earbuds for around $50, and they seem to get reasonably good reviews.

I'm also considering picking up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Core-Headphone-Extension-Cable/dp/B006SK8VCU

It obviously isn't as convenient and doesn't offer the freedom of a wireless IEM....but it's also hundreds of dollars cheaper. Unless you feel it's absolutely necessary to be completely wireless, I'm guessing you could probably get by with this in a pinch.

• Members

n9ne, are you talking about an 18' connection directly to the board? Earbuds are a personal choice and if you are happy with whatever you are using, that's great. Suggesting running a wire to a non-stationary performer for IEMs seems a little out there. I remember how great it was to lose my guitar cord when I went wireless. I couldn't imagine having wire attached to my head as often as I ripped the cord out of my bass. There are some very reasonable, reliable IEM systems out there like Galaxy. ANY wireless solution would be better then tripping on a cord that is attached and inserted into my ears.

Just offering another perspective.

• Members

n9ne, are you talking about an 18' connection directly to the board? Earbuds are a personal choice and if you are happy with whatever you are using, that's great. Suggesting running a wire to a non-stationary performer for IEMs seems a little out there. I remember how great it was to lose my guitar cord when I went wireless. I couldn't imagine having wire attached to my head as often as I ripped the cord out of my bass. There are some very reasonable, reliable IEM systems out there like Galaxy. ANY wireless solution would be better then tripping on a cord that is attached and inserted into my ears.

Here's another perspective: I'm a drummer and I use an AT M3. Got it for the built in limiter, the ability to adjust our monitor board at stge right during sound check and for future re-sale.

Back to the OP: you get what you pay for. If you're playing pro gear with pros or semi pros then spend the dough. You're putting speakers in your ear canal so get something that has a good driver(s) and best of all a solid tight seal to improve your bass response and to eliminate any outside sound. The Westones posted above look like a good entry level bud. I'm a UE guy but my first buds were Shure E3's until I went custom molds with UE7's. For gear like transmitters/receivers, limiters and deployment head over to the sound forum and search IEM's.

Keep using them...both buds in....and you'll never ever use a wedge again.

• Members

It's a Praise/Worship volunteer gig that uses an Aviom IEM system.

If I had the money I'd definitely go the pro-level route, but right now I'll just have to make do as best I can on my (very) limited budget.

I made the mistake of trying to play the live gig without buds, because there is a wedge right at my station.

But I think the drums weren't in the monitor or more accurately the back wall reflection was louder.

So I'm definitely using buds this sunday. Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

• Members

Have you tried the Galaxy system? I was looking for something low(er)-budget just so I could have something in one ear so I could hear myself better.

• Members

I'm actually looking at the 18' "headphone extender" as a cheapo IEM solution for our drummer. However, even for a non-drummer, I wouldn't see it as being any more of an issue than playing with a standard instrument cable, except that instead of plugging into the instrument, the cable would connect to a beltpack.

Granted, a wireless would clearly be preferable....but if someone is on a very limited budget, this could provide many of the audio benefits of IEM, but at a fraction of what an entry-level IEM typically goes for.

(If nothing else, this could also provide a cheap short-term solution while one saves up for a pro-level unit.)

• Members

I'm actually looking at the 18' "headphone extender" as a cheapo IEM solution for our drummer. However, even for a non-drummer, I wouldn't see it as being any more of an issue than playing with a standard instrument cable, except that instead of plugging into the instrument, the cable would connect to a beltpack.

Granted, a wireless would clearly be preferable....but if someone is on a very limited budget, this could provide many of the audio benefits of IEM, but at a fraction of what an entry-level IEM typically goes for.(If nothing else, this could also provide a cheap short-term solution while one saves up for a pro-level unit.)

A keyboard player I gigged with had a nice little "homemade" IEM system. He had a few keyboards going in to a little mixer for his on-stage sound. He figured why not throw some in a line from the FOH and add some ear buds. In this situation he had no reason to go wireless.

• Members

Have you tried the Galaxy system? I was looking for something low(er)-budget just so I could have something in one ear so I could hear myself better.

It is really not recommended that you use just one earbud. If there isn't a way to comfortably use both, then I would suggest not using one at all. Seriously, it can do more damage to your hearing than just playing on aloud stage..

Wade, I use the Shure IE2's or whatever their $100 option used to be called. I've also used my $10 'Ink'd buds from Skull Kandy and found them to be almost as good but not as tight in the low end... I hope to go to some nicer buds some time this year. Let me know what you find!

• Members

I know nothing about IEM's so I would like to ask what you guys use to drive them? Obviously you can get the buds for between $50.00 and $100.00, which is I believe entry level, right? But then what about the wireless pack that they attach to and whatever base or device is used that attaches to the mixer and rack? As I said, I know nothing about IEM's, but I am curious about them and not closed to the idea.

• Members

I know nothing about IEM's so I would like to ask what you guys use to drive them? Obviously you can get the buds for between $50.00 and $100.00, which is I believe entry level, right? But then what about the wireless pack that they attach to and whatever base or device is used that attaches to the mixer and rack? As I said, I know nothing about IEM's, but I am curious about them and not closed to the idea.

This is the system that the praise band is using:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?p=918

I would imagine for wireless you would just mate your favorite pack to the input of your mixing station.

• Members

A question for singers using IEMs -- how do you sing comfortably with your ear canals plugged up and sealed off? I've tried a few different phones (albeit none of them custom molded), and I find myself yanking them out and going back to wedges. How does a singer make the transition?

• Members

A question for singers using IEMs -- how do you sing comfortably with your ear canals plugged up and sealed off? I've tried a few different phones (albeit none of them custom molded), and I find myself yanking them out and going back to wedges. How does a singer make the transition?

This probably qualifies as a "lame answer" since I don't sing with IEM's, BUT I can ask the singers in my band that question and post THEIR responses. I'll update you on Monday because actually this question may have importance to me, as they MAY co-opt me into singing some parts.

• Members

To add to my post, I have a Galaxy wireless iem system and it's performed great. We play small clubs and it's been more than adequate.

I also have a Shure hard-wire system (I'm a drummer).

I tend to use the wireless more often since I do need to tweak our board and move around from my position a bit during shows.

• Members

I do a little singing in my band and use Shure SCL5's for the buds, and a sennheiser G2 transmitter/receiver. The buds make all the difference. The ones that came with the sennheiser are 'ok', but you definitely don't want to skimp on the buds. You don't have to have ultimate ears or even the shures, but it HAS to have a good seal so you can actually hear through the things.

I haven't had custom molds made yet, but the 'comply foam tips' have been working great. Great seal and more comfortable than the yellow foam tips: http://www.complyfoam.com/ A little on the expensive side depending on how often you have to change them out. I think custom molds run in the $150 range.

• Members

We've been using IEM's for about a year now. My thoughts and experiences:

I agree with those who say "you'll never go back to wedges". I don't see how I would. The pros far outweigh the cons. But they aren't perfect. But, then again, neither were wedges (or none of us would be considering IEMs in the first place.) But I hear my keyboards clearer than ever; our vocal harmonies are better than ever; and my ears don't ring at the end of the night. Plus there's less gear to haul around and find room for on stage. Those are all huge wins.

But they take awhile to get used to. And I'm still unsealing one ear many times--especially towards the end of a gig when I want to "feel" the crowd more. The gigs where the crowds are small it's not that big a deal. It's the big-crowd ones where the feeling of 'isolation' sets in. Other options that we've never tried but were recommended and considered are: wearing a lav mic to hear the crowd better and putting an open mic in the audience area. We've all gotten pretty used to things as they are so I doubt we'll try them, but you never know. One of the girls has buds with ambient holes drilled in and she swears by them. But I have no way to compare directly (and neither does she).

The biggest problem I have with sound is if the stage volume is too loud. Now that I've got the guitar player using a very quiet amp and have the bass player going direct (yay!) the sound in my ears is superb. The biggest problem seems to be when other sounds are bleeding through that you can't really control.

We use Audio Technica M2 systems. They work great and can be had all day long brand new for $600. I found even cheaper new deals on Ebay. I have a Galaxy system I carry as a backup that seems to work fine and I've heard many good things about them. But I've never used it in a live situation. One odd thing about it is the antenna is in the back which might be a problem if you're rackmounting the receivers.

Playing with one ear out and causing damage: I think this probably depends on how big an idiot you are. Apparently the 'danger' here results from people who, after they pull one ear out then go and crank up the remaining in-ear. The obvious solution to this is "don't turn it up after you pull one-ear out." I've never had this temptation---maybe it's more of an issue when playing on really loud stages? But, if anything, needing to 'turn up' would compel me to put both ears back in, not pull one out. But I don't see how there is any inherent potential damage that could occur simply from just having one-ear-out. So set your in-ear volume and leave it before you pull one out and you should be fine.

Our drummer is hardwired. He's fine with it and he gets up and moves around quite a bit. But I wouldn't really recommend it for players that move around a lot. I would think that EVENTUALLY something would get yanked pretty hard. One of our singers did a few gigs hardwired until her wireless system arrived. She didn't really have a problem with it.

Molded buds are the way to go. I can't imagine any other option being very desireable--ESPECIALLY for a bass player. There just isn't good bass response from buds unless you really get them in there properly. And while you CAN get stock buds to seat pretty well in your ear canal for bass response, my experience is A) they end up being uncomforatable B) you're adjusting them constantly which is a distraction from playing. Alien Ears makes molded buds that are considerably less expensive than the ones from Ultimate Ears and other vendors. The girls in my band use AEs (while the guys are all using UEs) and they've had no problems with them and are very happy with the sound.

Shure makes a bodypack -- I forget the model # offhand, but it's one of the few that do this -- that can be used both hardwired and wireless. This would a good choice so that you can buy a transmitter later if you can't afford a full system right now. I got one of these for my drummer in case he decided being wired was too cumbersome.

Archived