Two OC shows - both better than expected...

mstreck

• Members

We played two gigs in Ocean City last week. One was at a very popular "destination venue" on the bay and the other at a rooftop pool bar with access from the boardwalk.

I've been wanting to play the first venue for years - before I even started playing, I think. :freak: Load-in/setup took 45 minutes. Same for teardown/load-out. The gig went great - as expected, the crowd was awesome and there were some definite rockstar moments for each of us. The staff loved us and the house-provided PA and lights were both PERFECT. And the money was way more than we would have ever expected for a Monday night (we were scheduled to play for three hours and made more than our usual four-hour weekend gig rate). We got 50% off our tab and no one would even accept a tip. Looking back, I can say we were all definitely "living the dream" that night and we should be hearing from them about future dates. :D

The second venue had a PIA load-in: We had to be there three hours before we started playing so we could be unloaded before the band that played before us was finished so we wouldn't be in their way. Not only did I have to haul a trailer into OC traffic, but loading in and setting up was a hot & sweaty experience: we unloaded in a parking garage mid-afternoon, moved our cars two blocks away, carried equipment up steps, and set up in the sun. There were a few patrons there when we started but no one really sets out to spend a Saturday night at a pool bar when there is a boardwalk and all that comes with it RIGHT THERE, do they? We made our usual rate, of which our sound man gets a share, too.

Guess which gig we enjoyed more...

Yep, the first gig was great, but the second gig won hands down. The place packed in rather quickly. We had people telling us that they heard us on the street/boardwalk and came to find us. The staff said we were the best sounding band that they've had in years (I'm thinking they meant our PA-quality - not musicianship, based on the band that was there before us). By the end of the night, people were practically begging for anything with our name on it - stickers, shirts, hats, business cards. People were trying to figure out if they could get back into town on a date that we were playing there again. I'm not one to brag, but that crowd and that venue was ours for the night and we rocked it. We have 5 more gigs scheduled there for the summer, including the weekend before July 4th, Labor Day weekend, and Bike Week weekend. The manager said something to our drummer about playing weekly dates in the future. I'm hoping that we've found our summer home for next year. That's another dream I'd like to be able to live out - resident band in a resort town.

I'm sorry if this seems like bragging, but a few weeks ago, someone asked me how we got such a full schedule - if it was just because we were really good marketers. At the time, I wasn't so sure. But now I'm starting to think that's probably not the only reason. I know that this won't last forever, but we're not doing too badly for for a group of people that, according to many around us, "would never play at the beach". :thu:

Again, thank you to everyone here who helped to provide constructive criticiasm and direction. You most definitely rock! :rawk:

• Members

Awesome Mike! We had our "big" festival gig last weekend. We played well, had a decent crowd, but everyone came away from the gig feeling something is missing... Can't wait till we get the hard work over with so we can enjoy gigs like you are now.

• Members

Awesome Mike! We had our "big" festival gig last weekend. We played well, had a decent crowd, but everyone came away from the gig feeling something is missing... Can't wait till we get the hard work over with so we can enjoy gigs like you are now.

Thank you! I get what you're saying, but we're actually working harder than we ever have. We're more critical of ourselves and dedicate more time to making things "right". There's more pressure, too. We have a lot further to fall than we did two years ago. We're just doing "different" hard work now.

• Members

I didn't mean to suggest you weren't working hard, clearly you are. The hard work I'm referring to is dealing with personalty conflicts/issues and finding our groove as a band. Right now we are 4 musicians that play together - not a band. Best way I can describe it...

• Members

I didn't mean to suggest you weren't working hard, clearly you are. The hard work I'm referring to is dealing with personalty conflicts/issues and finding our groove as a band. Right now we are 4 musicians that play together - not a band. Best way I can describe it...

Haha! I didn't think you meant that at all.

Truthfully, we have similar struggles. I wish I could say we were all on the same page but we're not there yet. I guess you have to take what you can get, sometimes, and learn to work with what you have. I've seen a lot of bands that don't/won't do that. Most of them don't last very long.

• Members

Nice, Mike! That pool bar was my favorite gig spot in OC

We had Friday nights there all summer one year, and then Saturday nights there all summer the following year. The crowds were always great (it's a really cool pool bar) and the staff was too and the fact that it is just feet away from the boardwalk, but not ON the boardwalk, meant that even nights that started slow would draw tourists once the music got rockin'!

The load in is a bit of a bitch, but if you have rolling gear, you might be able to use the elevator (or you could back in the day)...

• Members

Brag away!

I think it's greatthat you entered this forum 3-4 years ago with a start up band, made couple of mistakes, had a couple of learning moments, traded some ideas here and have successfully progressed your band from a C level band into a B level band and are now scooping up A-level opportunities. An independent band that draws, is consistent and pleasant to work with can have a pretty full calendar. I think just by the opportunities you are scoring and the call backs you are getting it's a testament to you as a manager and the players in your band of the hard work you are putting forth. I still remember that situation a few years ago when you played and lost that agency gig a few years ago. Even if you were able to deliver your A-game at the time it's doubtful you would have gotten the callback. I think now your band is 2x's the band it was then in terms of presentation, sound and material and your calendar shows it.

• Members

Nice, Mike! That pool bar was my favorite gig spot in OC

We had Friday nights there all summer one year, and then Saturday nights there all summer the following year. The crowds were always great (it's a really cool pool bar) and the staff was too and the fact that it is just feet away from the boardwalk, but not ON the boardwalk, meant that even nights that started slow would draw tourists once the music got rockin'!

The load in is a bit of a bitch, but if you have rolling gear, you might be able to use the elevator (or you could back in the day)...

We did use the elevator some... the hardest part was finding somewhere to stage everything without being in the other band's way - or in our own way. They asked for our full setup, so that's what we brought and things got very cramped very quickly. They even helped us get some of our stuff upstairs so I really shouldn't bitch too much about it.

I forgot to mention the bikini-clad waitresses and super-hot female bartenders. If that first gig is indicitive of what is to come, I may have to move down there for the summer. Haha!

• Members

We did use the elevator some... the hardest part was finding somewhere to stage everything without being in the other band's way - or in our own way. They asked for our full setup, so that's what we brought and things got very cramped very quickly. They even helped us get some of our stuff upstairs so I really shouldn't bitch too much about it.

I forgot to mention the bikini-clad waitresses and super-hot female bartenders. If that first gig is indicitive of what is to come, I may have to move down there for the summer. Haha!

Ha! The first year we played the pool bar, the waitresses wore khaki skirts and polo shirts. They were still kinda hot, but when they went to the bikinis the second year we were there and it made for a much nicer night...

We used to bring our full PA, it was one sub, two tops, a couple monitors, so nothing crazy. I can't imagine if your gear doesn't roll how much of a pain that would be... DOlly good - Hernia bad!!

• Members

Guess which gig we enjoyed more...

Yep, the first gig was great, but the second gig won hands down. The place packed in rather quickly. We had people telling us that they heard us on the street/boardwalk and came to find us. The staff said we were the best sounding band that they've had in years (I'm thinking they meant our PA-quality - not musicianship, based on the band that was there before us). By the end of the night, people were practically begging for anything with our name on it - stickers, shirts, hats, business cards. People were trying to figure out if they could get back into town on a date that we were playing there again. I'm not one to brag, but that crowd and that venue was ours for the night and we rocked it. We have 5 more gigs scheduled there for the summer, including the weekend before July 4th, Labor Day weekend, and Bike Week weekend. The manager said something to our drummer about playing weekly dates in the future. I'm hoping that we've found our summer home for next year. That's another dream I'd like to be able to live out - resident band in a resort town.

That is what it is all about! That is way too cool and i'm glad you got to experience that. You are not bragging at all, you are just a warrior celebrating his well deserved victory! My band once played an out of town gig(way out of town..) and we found out it was in a basement and we were like "Oh no, what is this going to bring", right? and at first there was like 4 people when the doors opened but by the time the first band started playing there was like 30 people in that little basement! By the time we started playing we were treated as the headlining act! There must have been at like 60 people down there just raging and having the best time! So shocking but the best feeling ever.. I now never base things from the get go, things can only get better if you do your best and work hard.

Archived