Completely OT: Somebody explain Maurice Sendak to me.

• Members

My 4 year old daughter just LOVES "In The Night Kitchen". In a way she's never loved any book so far.

It's also the oddest book in her collection. Dr. Seuss books can be quite odd, but he always had that rhyming thing going on that I thought was the "hook".

This book has a certain rhyme and rhythm to the prose, but not a lot. I suppose it triggers their little imaginations in a particular way?

I'm just always amazed when adults can write things that connect with really young kids on such a basic level that doesn't make sense at first glance.

• Members

Can't explain him but can give a story I once heard. After writing Where The Wild Things Are his girlfriend broke up with him. The female monster in the illustrations is rumoured to be based on her.

Dont know if its true but Im willing to perpetuate it on the net

• Members

I guess he just had that magic thing that resonates with kids. Probably one of those "if you have to ask, you'll never know" situations.

He said in an interview that the Wild Things characters are all based on extended family members he used to be scared of as a kid.

• Members

Can't explain him but can give a story I once heard. After writing Where The Wild Things Are his girlfriend broke up with him. The female monster in the illustrations is rumoured to be based on her.

Dont know if its true but Im willing to perpetuate it on the net

He's gay, but it's still possible that he had a girlfriend back then, I don't know his life story in detail at all. And as far as his appeal to kids, for what it's worth, he says (in this great interview with Stephen Colbert) that he just writes for himself, and is baffled as to why children connect with what he does.

He just passed away. RIP.

Archived