Six months of hard work, one gig, and it starts, or actually ends!

• Members

Well, I said a few days ago that one monkey don't stop a show, but several of them sure can!

It took six months of hard work to get the big group I wanted together enough to play our first gig, and it went over extremely well...

But the honeymoon, and I guess the marriage too, is over now, because the lead singer decided he wants to take the next month off, and then only meet once a month whether we are playing or just rehearsing, because his life is just too busy with his job, kids, grandkids, other hobbies, etc. And, as soon as he said that the keyboard, drummer, and other guitarist bailed, all headed in different directions, or so it seems.

One wants a different set list, the other wants more money, and the other one just got an offer with an established group...

The biggest paradox of trying to get a decent group together seems to be that when I find the talent they have no free time, and when I find the ones with free time they do not have the talent!

Will it never end? I think I'm getting too old for this!

And, my wife wants to kill him!

• Members

I'm running a thread about the headaches of dealing with a big band, a lead singer, and different visions, called "what's a reasonable amount of time to make a new band ready to play shows?" You just reinforced my conclusion that I made the right decision by bailing out early.

I understand about the talent issues, especially when trying to do a big project with a delayed payday.

• Members

I spent my early 20s in groups like that. practice for a few months, play a great gig or two and then have it come crashing down... rinse and repeat for years! and this was pretty much pre-internet! It was even harder to find players back then!

• Members

People, in general, disappoint me... It's very hard to find folks who will stand by what they say these days, and loyalty is an unknown concept... I was raised in the handshake is your bond era, and taught that greed is sinful. But, in this case, I really have to say I was naive.... This old boy was foolish enough to believe that once we sounded great the group would be excited enough to make that the launching ramp, and really dig in!

I am not interested in doing the jam thing very often, because I expect too much... The only really good thing about this is I just saved a lot of 2.5 hour trips down to Baton Rouge, and all that gas money!

Maybe I will by a boat, grab one of the acoustics, and go catfishin!

• Members

I am SOOO happy that I am in a three piece and we are all on the same page. You guys are both in a nightmare.

The size of the band doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I'm in six piece with everyone all on the same page and everyone gets along great. But starting such a project from scratch would have difficulties for sure.

I went through three false starts a few years back trying to put together two different "show" bands. Finding the caliber of players I needed and getting them interested in the projects was easy enough. Keeping them together until the band could be fully rehearsed with enough solid gigs on the books proved to be impossible. What I ended up doing was re-tooling my existing bar classic rock band into a format that would make it solid enough to attract the two singers we found. Neither of whom would likely have interested had I been asking them to play in either a start-up project or a $500 a night bar band. That the two girls both turned out the be not only the right talent, but the right people was a stroke of pure luck. Twice. I'm blessed for that.

Having everyone on the same page is the key. Getting them all there? That can be another story entirely, for sure.

• Members

Well, I said a few days ago that one monkey don't stop a show, but several of them sure can!

It took six months of hard work to get the big group I wanted together enough to play our first gig, and it went over extremely well...

But the honeymoon, and I guess the marriage too, is over now, because the lead singer decided he wants to take the next month off, and then only meet once a month whether we are playing or just rehearsing, because his life is just too busy with his job, kids, grandkids, other hobbies, etc. And, as soon as he said that the keyboard, drummer, and other guitarist bailed, all headed in different directions, or so it seems.

One wants a different set list, the other wants more money, and the other one just got an offer with an established group...

The biggest paradox of trying to get a decent group together seems to be that when I find the talent they have no free time, and when I find the ones with free time they do not have the talent!

Been there done that, do not have any advice for you but to smile and hope something works out for the better in the future. Perhaps you should look at a smaller setup maybe a 3 piece? only have to manage 3 people then, may get more success! Seems like successful gigs with a live band either ends A. abrupt spontaneous combustion or B. someone becomes a rock star and leaves C. financial disputes or D. Family. Looks like you got hit with all of them!

• Members

another great pet-peeve of mine: when someone doesn't have enough personal time to be in a band, yet they pretend they do, and go join a band. It's the simplest logic in the world, yet there's plenty of these jackasses in every region. 3 months after they quit one band because they didn't have enough time, they are usually right back out there on a mission to join a band only to quit after yet another 6 months of pissing off their band mates with their frequent schedule conflicts and missed practices. More often than not, they end up breaking up bands who become even more frustrated with the process of finding yet another flaky replacement. Sometimes I just want to post on CL the names of every flake in the area to save other bands the misery, but I'm sure it would be flagged and deleted within minutes... :facepalm:

• Members

After hearing so many people ask if we were already working when I tried to recruit them, I believe that starting smaller and then adding people later might actually be the better plan. And, I might actually do just that... Or, I could just rest on my laurels, but the damn guitars look so sad just hanging there...

I told the wife if she comes in and finds me drinking, with headphones on, and playing along with YouTube, it's all good!

• Members

The size of the band doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I'm in six piece with everyone all on the same page and everyone gets along great.

Sure it does, 3 schedules, sets of expectations, etc, are a lot easier to manage than 6 or 10.

• Members

Sure it does, 3 schedules, sets of expectations, etc, are a lot easier to manage than 6 or 10.

God, I love math. :)

To the Op - sorry, man. I guess that's part of the muscial game we play! Each time a band folds, you learn a bit more -- hopefully your next endeavor pans out. And don't give up!

• Members

Of course. Just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be to case. Just takes a bit more work and preparation. I'm gonna guess that in jwlussow's case it's less about that he's happy to be in a 3-piece than he's happy to be in HIS 3-piece: 3 guys who have gotten along together great and been in a successful band for years. 3 pieces can be full of drama too if it's not the right players and/or the right situation that attracts to right players to begin with.

• Members

I'm running a thread about the headaches of dealing with a big band, a lead singer, and different visions, called "what's a reasonable amount of time to make a new band ready to play shows?" You just reinforced my conclusion that I made the right decision by bailing out early.

I've been following your thread over there and I agree with your decision. Learned about LSD over there too...hadn't heard that one before but experienced it a few times too many over the years with lead singer meltdowns!

• Members

Wow! 6 months and then you get a one-gig-wonder?
:facepalm:

That's exactly why I'm not giving a band that much time to get its act together. Sheesh. 6 months and one and done.

Its been my experience that a band either clicks and gets to the stage fast,, or it just struggles along going through all kinds of issues. I went through several start up bands when i was back in michigan. Two months was the max time I would stay with a project. If it didnt click in that length of time, it wasnt gonna happen ,, and typically you knew after just a few sessions if it was gonna work. The rest of the time was just wood shed time with multiple players.

• Members

Wow! 6 months and then you get a one-gig-wonder?

That's exactly why I'm not giving a band that much time to get its act together. Sheesh. 6 months and one and done.

6 months is a long start-up time for any project. A bit odd that guys who would be willing to hang for six months with no gigs would bail after the first one, but it sounds as if some of the other guys were only interested in the band as long as the singer was a part of it. Now that he's bailing, they're done with it.

Makes sense as a singer is obviously going to make or break just about any band.

• Members

My saying is:

Ya got gigs, ya got a band.

Ya ain't got no gigs, ya ain't got no band.

It's hard to find the right group of band members. Everyone has different expectations. So maybe lower your sights a little. Get some people that are interested and play 'good enough' Book some bar gigs. Keep a book of music/lead sheets/words and chords so if someone bails, you can get a replacement quickly. Likewise a cd/mp3 of all the songs you do so someone can learn by ear. Build from there. As one person's interest/time commitment /whatever changes, replace with a better player.

Book some gigs a month or two out, that will motivate you to put a band together!

It's a heck of a lot easier to keep a band together when you have a gig to work towards.

We musicians have much higher standards then the general public. If it sounds mostly like the record, and the main hook/lick/rhythm is correct, they will like it. Just get it started, then work on improving in "on the job". (and rehearsals too)

good luck.

• Members

yup, thats how it goes over here pretty much. Book the gig then rehearse for it. Its a new concept but thats the way it is. That is the reason why I'm keeping my band a 4pc or even 3pc at times. Too many drama and when you are the one that signed the contract you cant have any flakes in the band, its your reputation on the line.

• Members

yup, thats how it goes over here pretty much. Book the gig then rehearse for it. Its a new concept but thats the way it is.

It's not a bad concept. Much easier to keep the band focused and on track with specific goals. One reason why it might have taken 6 months for the OP to get up and rolling is it's easy to get caught up in arguing over songlist and direction and to put off rehearsals because there's no pressure to get stuff done quickly.

If it's "we've got a gig in six weeks and they want a lot of 70s R&B" then suddenly there's something for everyone to work towards.

• Members

Book some gigs a month or two out, that will motivate you to put a band together!

It's a heck of a lot easier to keep a band together when you have a gig to work towards.

We musicians have much higher standards then the general public. If it sounds mostly like the record, and the main hook/lick/rhythm is correct, they will like it. Just get it started, then work on improving in "on the job". (and rehearsals too)

It's not as much about the gigs per se as it is the money. At least if you're trying to get halfway decent players. Dangle enough cash in front of anyone and you'll get them to play anywhere. If all you have to offer is a 5-way split of $200 at Ashtray's Pub-n-Grub (the only type of gig you're getting on smoke-and-mirrors alone unless you're a pretty good huckster), then you're in for a frustrating night, for both yourself AND the patrons.

• Members

I It's not as much about the gigs per se as it is the
money
. At least if you're trying to get halfway decent players. Dangle enough cash in front of anyone and you'll get them to play anywhere. If all you have to offer is a 5-way split of $200 at Ashtray's Pub-n-Grub (the only type of gig you're getting on smoke-and-mirrors alone unless you're a pretty good huckster) you're probably in for a frustrating night, for both yourself AND the patrons.

Huckstering is part of any business. But you might be surprised if you were to talk to a good booking agent how many different sorts of bands they are actually looking for. I often hear stories of "yeah, if I had a band that did THIS I could book 'em regularly." So if money is what you're after, there's ways to do it. You just have to be willing to put together the type of band that the market is demanding.

• Members

Huckstering is part of any business. But you might be surprised if you were to talk to a good booking agent how many different sorts of bands they are actually looking for. I often hear stories of "yeah, if I had a band that did THIS I could book 'em regularly." So if money is what you're after, there's ways to do it. You just have to be willing to put together the type of band that the market is demanding.

Yep, and what I'm saying is if you are willing to pay, you can be picky enough to put together that "type of band the market is demanding." If the gig you're trying to staff is a {censored} bar with low-to-no pay, it doesn't give you flexibility to get good players that can play whatever you want them to. If the gig is that same {censored} bar for $250 a man, it's a whole different story.

• Members

I bet most of 'em were the types that just like to hang out in the basement, drink beer, and jam.

there are alot of people that just want that. When my band started in 2002 that's what we were: A jam session in a garage. Each week People just showed up. LOL. One week we had 3 guitar players and 2 bassists. One week it was a 2nd singer and a keyboard player. The ones that came every week became the 1st incarnation of "There & Back Again." A few private parties and bar gigs later our guitar player quit. There were tons of reasons behind it but one of them I think was it was NOT a jam session anymore. We did pick another guy up quickly because we had shows booked already. I am not sure this guy would have joined if we were still banging stuff out in the garage.

Archived