radio tour journal? anyone interested?

J.Paul

• Members

I haven't made the summer tour journal yet (because it doesn't start for us until mid June)....

Is anyone interested in the journal I'm keeping for the radio tour Gwen and I have been doing the past month?

• Members

Another vote for yes for the radio tour journal. I really enjoyed your road journal last year.

Also, I noticed that you guys will be playing at the Grand Forks Fair near the end of the month. I will have to go check you out and maybe even meet with you before or after, if you are willing. It would be cool to finally meet a member of our forum in person. :)

• Members

It was great when you posted the tour journal last year. I kept up with it every day pretty much. Personally I dig seeing how touring acts manage their day and finances on the road.
:thu:

Yeah, I didn't think about that....hhhhhmmm. :idea:

I've got some daysheet stuff and scheduling logistics in there but in terms of the finances ....

I'm not sure that would apply anymore or be of interest. Plus there is a certain amount of that doesn't belong in a public forum and a certain amount that I'm not privy to (because it's none of my business...we're not a band anymore). In the past, income would go to the four of us, transportation, and taxes. Deposits were a pain in the ass and we ended up starting accounts for the regions we were in (instead of mailing it back home, waiting for the hold, and getting paid 20 something days later)....just a band on the circuit making money.But it's different now,

now there's :

~the four of us (plus the fifth player we just added)

~four regional radio reps and a national

~office admin/logistics person

~accountant

~crew (merch, lights, FOH)

~publicist

~plugger

~twice as much production and transportation than if we were doing cover circuits

So everything is a total loss until something substantial happens. There really isn't a "manage the finances" scenario because it's "breaking a new artist time" and the thread becomes more of a "how record companies work", which is not my intent.

It's supposed to be about :

~Why I played and sang good or bad on certain gigs (or Gwen for that matter)

~What gear worked and what didn't

~How to (or not to) transition from cover act to national original artist

~If being on The Voice has had ANY affect and if so then what (good?bad?)

~getting advice and perspective from you guys on what I could have done better based

on the information given.

~dispensing a day to day on what actually happens rather than the positive spin acts

only give on their tweets, blogs, fansites, FB...

Let me think about finance stuff that I could include that would be appropriate...

:rolleyes:

for example I was able to do my budget through the fall because I know what's on the books. If we were still doing a cover circuit I would only have a 6-8 week window of information (plus the occasional client that books 6-9 months out).

• Members

Another vote for yes for the radio tour journal. I really enjoyed your road journal last year.....Also, I noticed that you guys will be playing at the Grand Forks Fair near the end of the month. I will have to go check you out and maybe even meet with you before or after, if you are willing. It would be cool to finally meet a member of our forum in person.
:)

yeah man

we were in Grand Forks last fall for fairbuyers showcase and I started to PM you then but didn't think about it until day before.... I'll give it a little more notice this time

• Members

yeah man

we were in Grand Forks last fall for fairbuyers showcase and I started to PM you then but didn't think about it until day before.... I'll give it a little more notice this time

Sorry, I didn't know about that one! Hopefully it will all work out.

• Members

Thanks

What is a "radio tour?

It's simply visiting the radio stations

It's not enough to send the single and epk materials to hundreds of stations and expect them to play it because they like it. Typically only new artists do a radio tour-but sometimes an established act will do one (we ran into Colbie Calliet and her Universal rep this week). It helps if they can meet, visit, and even hear the artist sing in person (assuming they CAN sing)....

Gwen's done almost 40 stations (east and west coast ) the past three weeks with another month and a half of the campaign ahead of us.

• Members

You coming to Austin?

The full band summer tour is not coming anywhere near Texas,

but there might be some radio tour (acoustic) dates in Dallas / Houston, so maybe they'll be Austin in there....

not really sure, none of the radio dates are confirmed until about 10 days before...

I think next week is Detroit and Minneapolis as well as 10 others...

• Members

Yes, please post. Are you still using a Sprinter, or have you given up on them as a tour beast? Mark C.

Yes we're on our 2nd Sprinter.

They've done well keeping us out of the bus for as long as possible.

It is still with us but is now mainly used as a rental (to other bands) as an additional revenue stream.

A bus was planned for this year but we haven't found one we liked yet (as of 3 weeks ago)....

maybe they found one while me and Gwen have been out....not sure, haven't been home much.

I haven't even seen my main guitar or pedalboard since the last (fullband) show a month ago...they are at a warehouse having cases made for them (along with everything else)

• Members

It's simply visiting the radio stations

It's not enough to send the single and epk materials to hundreds of stations and expect them to play it because they like it. Typically only new artists do a radio tour-but sometimes an established act will do one (we ran into Colbie Calliet and her Universal rep this week). It helps if they can meet, visit, and even hear the artist sing in person (assuming they CAN sing)....

Is there someone at the radio station that schedules and organizes your visit? Venues have bookers, is there a name title for this person? How do you contact the radio station to arrange a visit?

What promotional materials do you bring to the radio station?

• Members

Yeah, I didn't think about that....hhhhhmmm.
:idea:
I've got some daysheet stuff and scheduling logistics in there but in terms of the finances ....

I'm not sure that would apply anymore or be of interest. Plus there is a certain amount of that doesn't belong in a public forum and a certain amount that I'm not privy to (because it's none of my business...we're not a band anymore). In the past, income would go to the four of us, transportation, and taxes. Deposits were a pain in the ass and we ended up starting accounts for the regions we were in (instead of mailing it back home, waiting for the hold, and getting paid 20 something days later)....just a band on the circuit making money.But it's different now,

now there's :

~the four of us (plus the fifth player we just added)

~four regional radio reps and a national

~office admin/logistics person

~accountant

~crew (merch, lights, FOH)

~publicist

~plugger

~twice as much production and transportation than if we were doing cover circuits

So everything is a total loss until something substantial happens. There really isn't a "manage the finances" scenario because it's "breaking a new artist time" and the thread becomes more of a "how record companies work", which is not my intent.

It's supposed to be about :

~Why I played and sang good or bad on certain gigs (or Gwen for that matter)

~What gear worked and what didn't

~How to (or not to) transition from cover act to national original artist

~If being on The Voice has had ANY affect and if so then what (good?bad?)

~getting advice and perspective from you guys on what I could have done better based

on the information given.

~dispensing a day to day on what actually happens rather than the positive spin acts

only give on their tweets, blogs, fansites, FB...

Let me think about finance stuff that I could include that would be appropriate...

:rolleyes:
for example I was able to do my budget through the fall because I know what's on the books. If we were still doing a cover circuit I would only have a 6-8 week window of information (plus the occasional client that books 6-9 months out).

No... I didn't mean anything dealing with band finances. I meant personal. When you're on a national or regional tour and living off a weekly draw it's interesting to hear "I skipped the second egg sandwich and coffee this am to get myself a pack of Elixir strings. It would be wrong to open up band financial details on a public forum. My touring experience is limited but my travel experience is great. When traveling you always need to set yourself a budget. And unprediciatble things happen on the road that challenge that budget. I remember last you you had some equipment malfunction? Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong WILL GO WRONG. It's those details I find fascinating.

• Members

Is there someone at the radio station that schedules and organizes your visit? Venues have bookers, is there a name title for this person? How do you contact the radio station to arrange a visit?

If someone else here wants to disclose the terminology to you they are welcome to.

The stations already have long term relationships with the regional reps from the radio promotions team.

• Members

The full band summer tour is not coming anywhere near Texas,

but there might be some radio tour (acoustic) dates in Dallas / Houston, so maybe they'll be Austin in there....

not really sure, none of the radio dates are confirmed until about 10 days before...

I think next week is Detroit and Minneapolis as well as 10 others...

I meant for a radio tour visit - I'm the production director for both country stations in Austin (I do the commercials and stuff). Be cool to meet ya... :)

Brian V.

• Members

Is the band performing also or are you only visiting radio stations on this tour?

This part of the tour was/is just me and Gwen doing acoustic sets for radio stations or radio station events.

The full band summer tour of festivals and fairs starts in a couple of weeks.

....once we start full band summer tour (looks like they are only 2 or 3 dates a week) Gwen and I will continue (acoustic) radio tour dates on the band's days off throughout the summer.

Archived