Band Name on trailer or gig van/bus?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alright gang,

Do you have your band name on your trailer or your gig van/bus? I know it is great advertising but there are also arguments on not displaying it. What is the consensus?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm interested to hear responses as well, since I'm torn at the moment.

• Members

...but seriously....

I see people driving around in cars all the time with all sorts of musical instrument bumper stickers all over the back. They think this makes them cool

"Hey, look at me! I'm a musician, and you're NOT!".

All I see is a vehicle that screams "Hey, break into me. I might have some expensive gear you can pawn for your next fix!"

Same would go for a trailer.

• Members

I think it depends on the type of gigs you do. If you're driving around your local town a lot and heading home to a safe place after every gig, it could be great advertising and help get your name 'out there'. If you do what my band does--a lot of travel gigs where the trailer is left in a hotel parking lot overnight---it seems to me to be a big sign saying "Expensive Musical Equipment Inside--Please Steal!"

• Members

I was driving home from the Bay Area through Sacramento a couple of weeks ago and I ran up alongside one of our main 'competition' band's trailer being towed down the freeway. Really nice paint job with their logo, phone number and URL. Just a giant travelling business card really. I could easily see somebody seeing that and thinking "hey, I need a band for an event, and these guys look pro--I think I'll check 'em out!" I thought it looked really cool and I was kind of jealous to a degree. But then I reality-checked myself and realized that these guys, based in Sacramento, rarely gig out of town and probably park that trailer in somebody's garage after every show. But I'm curious about how they feel about the risk they are taking on the gigs where they don't go home.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk.

• Members

If your band's name is 'hazardous waste', 'poopy diaper disposal service', or something else along those lines then you could probably get away with advertising on your trailer/van without worrying too much about a break in.

• Members

I'm thinking that the best alternative would be one of those magnetic, stick-on signs. Thay way you could advertise while driving around, then take it off when you leave it parked somewhere.

Unless it was really big (if we're talking a trailer), I think one of those magnetic signs would look rather hokey. But maybe I'm just too fixated on thinking of the little signs you'd see on the side of the door of somebody's landscaping pickup or the station wagon of a real estate agent.

_car-magnetic.jpg

• Members

With the hockey puck style (hidden shackle) locks for trailers, you would need a cutting torch to break in it. I don't think I can get magnets to work on our trailer, I think the panels are aluminum.

Nah. Thieves can be much more clever then that. No trailer is theft proof.

• Members

We're getting our new trailer decal 'wrapped' this weekend. I guess it all depends on where you live and gig. Down near NYC would I think about it. No probably not.. but up here in the 'sticks' we've had no problems at all. In fact... it they were ever stolen (#1 they would need a sizable truck for the trailer... dual axle 14" and about 6,000 lbs trailer weight) it would probably make it more identifiable. ;) There's no easy places to fence things in my area and we can't drive more than 1-2 miles without someone honking their horn or waving. So it would be a pretty big target.

HooterNuts.jpg

I'd say factor your geographics/demographics.

• Members

Nah. Thieves can be much more clever then that. No trailer is theft proof.

Yep. If they suspect there's valuable stuff inside, they'll cut off a side panel or steal the whole trailer. A good lock might keep the neighborhood hooligans from getting inside, but there are those out there who are complete pros at this sort of stuff.

• Members

I've got zero hard data to back up me up - so it's purely my opinion when I say I'd go the stealth route on this. I'm a firm believer that "announcing" there's a pile of electronic gear right here is an invitation for trouble. While location is no doubt a factor - I've seen/heard enough about thefts taking place in virtually all corners of my area (including the perceived good neighborhoods) - that I can't see how advertising doesn't increase the risk of attracting attention from the wrong folks regardless of location.

• Members

Unless it was really big (if we're talking a trailer), I think one of those magnetic signs would look rather hokey.

We don't have a trailer...but I like this idea. I don't think it's hokey at all as long as you make the sign look nice and it has your logo and stuff. Put some effort into it...so it isn't just cheesy black arial font on white...

Plus it won't hurt resale value of your trailer.

• Members

We don't have a trailer...but I like this idea. I don't think it's hokey at all as long as you make the sign look nice and it has your logo and stuff. Put some effort into it...so it isn't just cheesy black arial font on white...

It'd have to be a REALLY good sign, IMO. I think most magnetic signs scream 'amateur'. OTHO, I think a painted logo on a band trailer looks really pro. So I don't think it's a reasonable 2nd choice. I'd rather go without than go with a magnetic sign.

Speaking, of course, from a strictly advertising standpoint. I still advocate nothing at all due to the risk-of-theft factor.

And also I'd look heavily into WHY you want to do this. If you really think it would be good promotion, then it's something to consider. But if it's just some sort of vanity deal....maybe you're better off without.

• Members

...they would need a sizable truck for the trailer... dual axle 14" and about 6,000 lbs trailer weight) it would probably make it more identifiable.
;)

Ummm...I don't think most of us are talking about someone coming by and hooking up/driving off with your trailer.

We're talking about someone breaking in and taking items out of it.

Archived