It's settled: Do what you want. It's all good.

• Members

Apparently the prevailing attitude here is that anything anybody wants to do on stage is good and if that's the way they are doing it, then that's the way it should be done.

No need to offer suggestions for improvement or a counter-opinion. It's all good.

No need to discuss anything, really, because it's ALL good. Any Way You Want It, That's The Way You Need It. Use of tracks? How you dress? How you present yourself? What business model you use? What PA you use? It's all good. Anything goes. No right or wrong. Nothing to discuss.

The only important thing is that people have a great tone. Which, of course, can be discussed over at the guitar forum.

We can close down the forum now. It no longer serves a purpose.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, no need to make an effort because people aren't coming out to see bands and bars aren't paying very well anyway. Why bother trying when there are only 10 people in the place and they're watching TV.

• Members

I haven't address the clothing aspect of my acoustic trio, yet. As we are a folk music group that leans more toward old gospel tunes and Appalachian tunes, I am thinking blue jeans will be a standard look. And button down shirts of simple colors.

• Members

I haven't address the clothing aspect of my acoustic trio, yet. As we are a folk music group that leans more toward old gospel tunes and Appalachian tunes, I am thinking blue jeans will be a standard look. And button down shirts of simple colors.

More important, how much blowinger gear do you use.:poke: ;)

• Members

The biggest question I have going for me, actually, is how old-time traditional I want to go when it comes to amplification. Back in the old days, all the musicians huddled around a single mic. I kinda like that old sound, but does such a thing fly in today's modern world of music?

• Moderators

The biggest question I have going for me, actually, is how old-time traditional I want to go when it comes to amplification. Back in the old days, all the musicians huddled around a single mic. I kinda like that old sound, but does such a thing fly in today's modern world of music?

Yes. I saw Ricky Skaggs do this and the sound was awesome. One single mike center stage and everyone in a crescent around it. Step up, step back. It sounds wonderful. And I think you should wear lederhosen and motocross jackets with PeeWee Tequila pumps.

• Members

I've seen some old time folk groups do it.

There's a definite skill to it!! Everyone has to know what everyone else is doing. Move in for your lead, pull back otherwise.

It's pretty neat to see in action...

• Members

Huge PITA IME. You've got to have pretty high-end instruments to project well enough, you've got to spend as much time rehearsing the in and out with your band members as you do with the song, you've got to be in a room with good enough acoustics to get you all into the mic, and the audience has to be quiet enough that you can turn the mic WAAAAAAY up to get everyone without picking up crowd noise. The old bluegrass guys were playing with state-of-the-art equipment when they started (tri-cone resonators, closed-back banjos, geared tuners, condenser mics, etc.); you should do the same to put on a good show.

• Members

When I first started browsing this forum, I thought Guido was quite a douche. But now I really enjoy his insights. For what that's worth. I don't know what this means. I guess open-mindedness is a two way street. Not only might others be right, but you also may be wrong.

Archived