10 Anniversary This Week- Invite all past players or not?

• Members

This week we're celebrating our band's 10 years of active duty. A milestone for sure. I'm sure alot of bands last 10 years or longer. However we're not a band that gigs together a few times a year. This started as a side project and quickly evolved into a working band. The past 10 years we've performed nearly 1,000 shows (last count was 973) in eight states and over 100 venues. The last 7-8 years we've maintained #1 status in terms of local draw and business opportunities in our area. There are alot of good bands in my area, but few that have developed a following like we have. After 10 years you'd think there we would lose some footing to another band. It just hasn't happened yet.

So it's been alot of work, toil and fun to get to where we're at. Our current lineup is seven guys and a few crew members. However we've had seven other members that participated in our lineup over the years. Some left on good terms... others were dismissed without notice. An idea was floated (which I'm in full support) to invite all past members out to participate if they want. But there are obvious concerns... some ex-members are still not on speaking terms frankly this is neither the opportunity nor the venue to work out a few years of bad blood.

Curious what you all would do in a situation like this? Love it when a band comes together... or maybe not.

If you want to read more about the event I'll put it in the next reply.

• Members

We're expecting a pretty big turnout. The room we choose to host this event is a regular booking and the largest venue in the area. It's an 18,000 sq ft resturant, nightclub that has become a destination room. An average night they have 800-1000 people pass through the doors. Last month we broke the attendance record for a regular booking pulling in over 2600 people through the door. So they have the size, space and willing audience to host...

[video=vimeo;45231396]

We've also put together a big media push... radio/internet/newspaper. After 10 years we've built up quite a name and for that you make alot of connections. So this week we called in all our favors.

Our radio station sponsor donated airtime to produce the following commercial

WRRV Commercial. It's on rotation twice an hour during drive time 6-8 am/4-6pm and twice 12pm-1pm. Actually it's technically not donated... we earned the airtime playing a few FREE annual events for them. This Thursday we're doing a live interview with the classic rock sister station and on Friday morning we're doing an interview with our sponsor station.

Our local newspaper interviewed us last week as a featured story for it's Friday entertainment section. They are also going to print a review of the show in the Sunday paper.

Our sponsor Jagermeister donated 50 custom print N.I.A.B. T-shirts to throw out as giveaways. The nightclub also arranged Budlight and Corona representatives at the show.

This is really what we work toward... opportunities like this. We planned it, coordinated with sponsors and brought everyone to the event. I frequently hear chatter from other bands that we get all these wonderful opportunities in our lap. The truth is we work for them, plain and simple. The truth is if I were to lay out what it took for us to develop theses partners and connections we've built over the years, I think most would think it would be too much work offstage to manage it. Most musicians want to play not work.

• Members

Well Grant I am for it. it looks good IMO.

I am actually I am thinking of doing the same thing for There & Back Again's 10th anniversary gig (which I mentioned in another thread will be our last gig before our hiatus from the bar scene)

We have 2 guitar players we are still on good terms with but we also have a female vocalist who was fired for various reasons and a guitar player who was fired also. I am going to bring it up to the rest of the guys that I want to ask ALL to at least come out.

• Members

Seems like the season for reunions!

Looks like some people are putting together a big Las Vegas 80s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame event for next April. Sounds like a lot of fun. I've been following the process on Facebook and it's been cool to reconnect with band names and musicians I haven't heard of in years. My old band has been invited to reunite. Cool. I'm looking forward to it. Haven't seen most of those people in at least 20 years. But who to invite? Over the course of the band there were 2 keyboard players, 3 bass players and at least half-a-dozen drummers. I say invite anyone and everyone who was ever in the band to take part. The drummer who is one of the organizers of the event wants to limit it to the "classic" lineup. He still lives in Vegas and he's the one getting everyone back together so it's kind of his call, but I think it should be more open.

• Members

...we've had seven other members that participated in our lineup over the years. Some left on good terms... others were dismissed without notice. An idea was floated (which I'm in full support) to invite all past members out to participate if they want. But there are obvious concerns... some ex-members are still not on speaking terms frankly this is neither the opportunity nor the venue to work out a few years of bad blood.

Curious what you all would do in a situation like this? Love it when a band comes together... or maybe not.

Personally - I'd be selective. I can't see much of an upside to inviting former band members who were dismissed without notice and/or ex-members who are still not on speaking terms (I can't help but assume there was at least a little drama in whatever created those situations...). If they've been out of the loop for any period of time - bringing them up for a tune or two will do little for the show (they're gonna be a little rusty....) - and will do nothing to further the current band. The downside risk is that their presence could be disruptive - especially if they were to bring attitude with them.

I'd explicitly invite the former players who left on good terms .... and be gracious if any of the others show up on their own accord.

• Members

It seems like it could be more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah... honestly, I don't see much of a point to it in the first place. Unless there was some super-loved long-term member who most of your crowd would like to see, why even bother?

• Members

Do it. Speak one on one with the problematic ones and make sure they know the expectations. Great way to unburn a bridge and show appreciation to fans an former members.

One of my old bands is doing a benefit reunion in a few weeks and they've invited all former bandmembers. Hope they'll have us all up for a song or three.

• Members

Yeah... honestly, I don't see much of a point to it in the first place. Unless there was some super-loved long-term member who most of your crowd would like to see, why even bother?

The point is to share the experience with folks who were there at the ground floor. Anything less is a douche move IMO

• Members

Personally - I'd be selective. I can't see much of an upside to inviting former band members who were dismissed without notice and/or ex-members who are still not on speaking terms (I can't help but assume there was at least a
little
drama in whatever created those situations...). If they've been out of the loop for any period of time - bringing them up for a tune or two will do little for the show (they're gonna be a little rusty....) - and will do nothing to further the
current
band.

I just think this is kind of chicken {censored}. No offense, really.

And sometimes one persons rusty is better than another's polish.

• Members

I agree with wade. Maybe even talk with the more jerky former members. Everyone doesn't have to jam but it would be cool if they did. I know in my situation our former members are 3 guitar players and a female vocalist. if they show up great but I doubt ANY of them will know anything we play now.

• Members

My argument is that everyone should be invited... some will choose not to show. They opting out leaves us off the hook. However if they choose to show well awkwardness will prevail. Some of the core members feel that certain members were let go for vaild reasons, let's not invite those reasons back to spoil the night. My feeling is good or bad, they had some hand in getting the band here in 2012. The audience didn't know the tenions behind the scenes and doesn't understand the bad blood. The major pitfalls are this becomes a distraction for the night. Anniversary or not, we're playing at our biggest club and are expected to put on the same quality show as we normally do. That means non-stop music, no dead air, and keeping the energy of the audience on '10'. We would choose easy one off songs that need zero rehearsal ('Blister In The Sun, I Wanna Be Sedated...etc). Of course we can loosen the reigns to allow enough time for some players to come on stage, jam on a song or two. Of course the two players in question have pretty narcissistic personalities and can be distruptive for their own benefit. So there is that to deal with. Time may heal old wounds but some dogs never change their spots. LOL There's two old sayings tied into one.

• Members

Would people who still hold grudges and resentments even WANT to show up? I would think only those interested in celebrating would want to. The others would say "{censored} those assholes" and stay home.

I can't imagine anyone showing unless they were doing so in a spirit of "the past is the past and let's have a good time" in which case the only real awkwardness would be on YOU guys.

• Members

My argument is that everyone should be invited... some will choose not to show. They opting out leaves us off the hook. However if they choose to show well awkwardness will prevail. Some of the core members feel that certain members were let go for vaild reasons, let's not invite those reasons back to spoil the night. My feeling is good or bad, they had some hand in getting the band here in 2012. The audience didn't know the tenions behind the scenes and doesn't understand the bad blood. The major pitfalls are this becomes a distraction for the night. Anniversary or not, we're playing at our biggest club and are expected to put on the same quality show as we normally do. That means non-stop music, no dead air, and keeping the energy of the audience on '10'. We would choose easy one off songs that need zero rehearsal ('Blister In The Sun, I Wanna Be Sedated...etc). Of course we can loosen the reigns to allow enough time for some players to come on stage, jam on a song or two. Of course the two players in question have pretty narcissistic personalities and can be distruptive for their own benefit. So there is that to deal with. Time may heal old wounds but some dogs never change their spots. LOL There's two old sayings tied into one.

Your decision is pretty simple, IMO.

Here are the options:

1) Ensure to the best of your ability that the band is able to "put on the same quality show as we normally do"

OR

2) Roll the dice, knowing the obvious potential problem spots, and letting chance decide for you. Of course, how much risk you expose yourself to depends on how many of those past players you bring in, and how much leash they TAKE (not how much they are given by you, but how much they take for themselves), but the bottom line is anything COULD happen with other players involved.

Your band is run more like a business than like a charity, right?

I say you make the business decision.

Doing so isn't a douche move. Anybody who'd say that is playing the game as an amateur and/or not interested in the business succeeding...is the point of the gig to more to look backwards, or more to look forwards?

• Members

Would people who still hold grudges and resentments even WANT to show up? I would think only those interested in celebrating would want to. The others would say "{censored} those assholes" and stay home.

I can't imagine anyone showing unless they were doing so in a spirit of "the past is the past and let's have a good time" in which case the only real awkwardness would be on YOU guys.

I've seen exactly this kind of deal backfire horribly.

Intentions might have been honorable at one point, but then a few shots at the bar, thoughts of "I should still be up there", maybe a girlfirned or buddy egging them on with the "These guys suck without you", etc., and then next thing is that guy is called on stage and goes out of his way to ruin anything he can.

It happens regularly.

I've been in a situation where a former band's farewell gig got me up on stage for a song in the founding member/OG lineup, and hatchets were buried, we kicked ass, all went well, but it could just as easily go south because at the end of the day, you're reliquishing control.

• Members

I just think this is kind of chicken {censored}. No offense, really.

And sometimes one persons rusty is better than another's polish.

No offense taken. By the same token - I'm not sure where the "chicken {censored}" comes from.

Grant and his current line-up are promoting a show - not running an event intended to provide a equal opportunity forum for former band members. Decisions about who gets to take the stage at this show needs to be decided based on who Grant and his current bandmates feel will add something to the mix.

Bringing up former bandmembers who left on good terms has a good chance of adding some excitement to the "special event" nature of an "anniversary/reunion" gig. Bringing in players who were dismissed without notice and/or are not on speaking terms with others who will be on the bandstand - runs a real risk of bringing drama.

Recalling one of your not that long ago posts ranting about not being invited up to sit in with a former band - I can say with some certainty that you and I have very different opinions on this matter. As far as I'm concerned - if I am responsible for the show that's being played today - I will make the call on whether or not we bring up somebody up based solely on what I (and my current bandmates) feel might add to the show we're playing then and there. While I can't control what anybody in the room who feels they have some sort of claim to the stage thinks - I have absolutely no problems saying NO to bringing up players (other than my current bandmates who are part of the lineup for the current gig) unless I feel it's going to add to the show we're currently playing.

• Members

Your decision is pretty simple, IMO.

Here are the options:

1) Ensure to the best of your ability that the band is able to "put on the same quality show as we normally do"

OR

2) Roll the dice, knowing the obvious potential problem spots, and letting chance decide for you. Of course, how much risk you expose yourself to depends on how many of those past players you bring in, and how much leash they TAKE (not how much they are given by you, but how much they take for themselves), but the bottom line is anything COULD happen with other players involved.

Your band is run more like a business than like a charity, right?

I say you make the business decision.

Doing so isn't a douche move. Anybody who'd say that is playing the game as an amateur and/or not interested in the business succeeding...is the point of the gig to more to look backwards, or more to look forwards?

Excellent advice. It was decisions for the business that made it necessarily to remove 2 of the 7 former members. If we made those decisions as a band and not as a business we would have endured them much longer as they were terrific musicians with terrible personality flaws.

• Members

Excellent advice. It was decisions for the business that made it necessarily to remove 2 of the 7 former members. If we made those decisions as a band and not as a business we would have endured them much longer as
they were terrific musicians with terrible personality flaws

What's the saying...?

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

I COMPLETELY get the mindset involved in attempting to have all the old crew together, etc.

A very shiny, happy moment could be had by all involved.

But that assumes a whole hell of a lot, and I wouldn't be comfortable taking the risk with that many people involved; too many moving parts.

Pick one or two or three guys you know to be stand-up dudes as players AND people if you want to make a nod to the past, but opening the door to everyone is asking for trouble IMO.

• Members

Grant, I've got nothing but respect for you and your band, but I'm a bit surprised you'd risk a gig of this stature for the hopes of a "Shiny Happy People" moment.

I totally get what you're going for, but you've outlined why this is one of your biggest gigs ever to date, too. Why risk it with people you kicked out for ANY reason?

I'd say invite the ones to jam personally you want to jam with, and know which song. Make it part of the show! Especially if the crowd will remember them, or you can introduce them as "our old friend, ____!" And kick off a tune.

Chancing it on someone you fired? C'mon, you know better than that. :)

• Members

Grant, I've got nothing but respect for you and your band, but I'm a bit surprised you'd risk a gig of this stature for the hopes of a "Shiny Happy People" moment.

I totally get what you're going for, but you've outlined why this is one of your biggest gigs ever to date, too. Why risk it with people you kicked out for ANY reason?

I'd say invite the ones to jam personally you want to jam with, and know which song. Make it part of the show! Especially if the crowd will remember them, or you can introduce them as "our old friend, ____!" And kick off a tune.

Chancing it on someone you fired? C'mon, you know better than that.
:)

I know.... I have a weak spot for nostaglia. Part of my stance is I'm on friendly speaking terms with the guys who were fired. Other band members are not. I respect the reasons why. I'm more a forgive and forget type person. Both players made significant contributions to the band. Both freely admit they are selfish assholes. And both are playing in actively in other bands in the area. What can I say... Pink Floyd had Roger Waters... Journey had Steve Perry, Poispn had CC Deville. Well 2 out of 3 examples could be relevant. :D

By the way, this isn't really a debate. We all voted on how we felt... the 'full reunion' lost and we moved on. That's how we roll. Just wondering how other bands would handle it.

Archived