Styx, Foreigner, or...... JumpStart???

• Members

I don't where these gigs or these people come from sometimes....

....but a guy calls a couple of weeks ago inquiring about hiring us for his 50th birthday party at his house. Before we return the call, a couple of us discuss some of the details before putting in a bid because often we're way above the budget people looking to hire a band for a backyard party are thinking. But since it's relatively short notice on a weekend we're not likely to book and it's fairly close by...maybe we'll do it for less?

But in the course of the conversation with the guy he tells us that he was considering trying to book Foreigner or Styx or "somebody like that" for his party. But a friend convinced him that while that would be cool, it wouldn't really be fun. That a band like that would just make the evening all about them and their mini-concert and that he'd be better off looking for a band more like us who would help him throw a party.

So we put in a bit higher than even our usual top-bid and he jumps on it. "Is this guy for real", I'm thinking? If he's got this kind of money to throw around, shouldn't he also be the kind of guy who's smart enough to not show his hand so easily by telling us he was thinking of hiring STYX?? So I was still a bit cautious thinking maybe it was just some guy yanking our chain. But the signed contract and deposit check just arrived so....

...should be easy and fun! But the moral of the story is: you just never know what's out there. There's all sorts of crazy gigs available if you work to make yourself available to them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha! Good show reading between the lines.

I have a friend who DID hire Foreigner for her wedding. It was their first, but she made them an offer they could not refuse. $$$

I believe it. I know that a lot of those bands make more money doing private events than they do on their public concert tours. At least on a per-gig basis.

I know, for example, that while Michael McDonald hasn't been a member of The Doobie Brothers for years, he very often appears with them at private events. (And public charity gigs too.)

Just curious...you have any idea what Foreigner got to play that wedding?

• Members

I believe it. I know that a lot of those bands make more money doing private events than they do on their public concert tours. At least on a per-gig basis.

I know, for example, that while Michael McDonald hasn't been a member of The Doobie Brothers for years, he very often appears with them at private events. (And public charity gigs too.)

Just curious...you have any idea what Foreigner got to play that wedding?

Yes I do, but I promised not to name the exact figure publicly.

I am probably within bounds of that promise to say it was less than $1M, but more than $100K.

• Members

The costs for some of those bands might not be as much as you think. Check out this site:

Interesting site. It says you can get either Styx or Foreigner for $75K. I wonder if this dude has that kind of money to throw around or was thinking he'd get a band like that for much less.

I would think anybody even THINKING of a band like that would have to be thinking at least $20K....

• Members

Right on, Dave!

Hey, speaking of spending crazy money for a band - somebody here in town a couple of weeks back hired Tom Petty for their wedding. I've heard some figures tossed around for cost, all in the low-mid 6 figures, so if someone tells you they have TP on the other line you know how low you have to go to undercut his price...

• Members

Interesting site. It says you can get either Styx or Foreigner for $75K. I wonder if this dude has that kind of money to throw around or was thinking he'd get a band like that for much less.

I would think anybody even THINKING of a band like that would have to be thinking
at least
$20K....

Bear in mind that for my friend's wedding, Lou Gramm was back in the band, and it was during the 25th anniversary tour, so they were probably pricier because of it.

Also, it wasn't just paying the band... It was the full-on concert experience. As if they were performing in a 20K seat arena, with all of the staging, lighting, and sound that would imply.

• Members

Also, it wasn't just paying the band... It was the full-on concert experience. As if they were performing in a 20K seat arena, with all of the staging, lighting, and sound that would imply.

If you look closely at the site, some bands do the Chuck Berry thing. The venue/purchaser supplies everything and the band just shows up to play. Some bands bring their own systems, some don't.

• Members

Bear in mind that for my friend's wedding, Lou Gramm was back in the band, and it was during the 25th anniversary tour, so they were probably pricier because of it.

I wonder what, even at the $75K level, what it costs a band like that to do a show like that. Obviously Foreigner just isn't going to roll up in the van and set up a couple of speakers-on-a-stick with a powered mixer.

Presuming that $75K is the 'out-the-door' price to have Foreigner play at your birthday party, a band like that can't roll very easily or cheaply. Gotta cost them several thousand to just be able to DO the gig, I would think?

• Members

I wonder what, even at the $75K level, what it costs a band like that to do a show like that. Obviously Foreigner just isn't going to roll up in the van and set up a couple of speakers-on-a-stick with a powered mixer.

Presuming that $75K is the 'out-the-door' price to have Foreigner play at your birthday party, a band like that can't roll very easily or cheaply. Gotta cost them several thousand to just be able to DO the gig, I would think?

I'm sure that they have to hire a local sound company. The place where Keith Urban played has a meyer sound system installed. Several years ago afriend of mines band use to be hired to play a rich guys party every year. They would be the opener and supply the PA then a national act such as Nitty Gritty Dirt Band would headline. Since they were only playing for maybe 100 invited guests it wasn't like they needed a concert PA.

• Members

You picking on Jim again???? I think the 10K includes the Ides rendition of "Eye of the Tiger".

Easy target...

I kid because he frequently rehearses whichever gig is coming up at a place I have close ties with, and I hear the (mostly humorous) inside scoop like about him regularly showing up wearing some vest with no shirt under, etc...always in character.

• Members

Easy target...

I kid because he frequently rehearses whichever gig is coming up at a place I have close ties with, and I hear the (mostly humorous) inside scoop like about him regularly showing up wearing some vest with no shirt under, etc...always in character.

How do you think he landed that trophy wife?

Archived