I wonder....

tlbonehead

• Members

I seriously can't understand the draw I have to this place. I KNOW that there has to be others that feel the same way. There are a ton of cool people here but I cant believe that I spend more than a couple hours a day here. I'm normally at the computer doing {censored} anyway but that's just an excuse. School starts Monday so I know Im going to have to disappear for awhile or at least cut back.

• Members

Funny you say that... as a band we talk about the issues constantly... as a band... I wouldn't want to talk to my neighboring bands about this issues. I'd be giving away all of our 'trade secrets'.
;)

I think I've given up trying to "discuss" things with my bandmates. Instead, I just strongly suggest that we try something that I've learned here and hope that enough people agree with it. Usually, common sense prevails and peer pressure always helps. :thu:

• Members

I think I've given up trying to "discuss" things with my bandmates. Instead, I just strongly suggest that we try something that I've learned here and hope that enough people agree with it. Usually, common sense prevails and peer pressure always helps.
:thu:

Another player in my band lurks and occasionally posts here as well. Semi-regularly, we will openly talk about what we see here at practice with everyone else.

We both seem to have the same perspective on what the good ideas and bad ideas are, as well as on who the contributors of value are vs. those who are, in our opinions, jokes.

It's an interesting and occasionally valuable thing to do. We certainly don't put too much stock in anything we see here...but sometimes use it as a springboard for our own discussions and/or decisions.

• Members

We certainly don't put too much stock in anything we see here...but sometimes use it as a springboard for our own discussions and/or decisions.

Thats cool then huh? As long as it gets some dialogue going it cant hurt. More than likely it probably turns into laughing at most of us here though. ;)

• Members

It may not feel like it sometimes, but the discussion on this forum is actually at a pretty high level of sophistication. There's a similar forum over on TalkBass for "Band Management" issues, and often when I look at threads there, it occurs to me that the issue these guys are dealing with would fall into the "everybody knows that" category here---the regular contributors here have moved beyond "should I quit this band where nobody else practices" and are thinking about more esoteric issues regarding how to form, run, market, etc., a band.

I suppose that's a little off-putting to some newbs, but it is nice to have a place where there are usually interesting and potentially helpful conversations going on at a higher level.

• Members

Because everybody keeps hoping there will be (and there
WILL
be) another
music stand on stage
thread.
:thu:

OMG! Speaking of which, I was was watching Hard Rock Calling or whatever it is and watched Springsteen have a staring contest with his monitor. Oh wait it wasn't a monitor. It was horrible- Sure he was playing to 70,000 people and only about 300 could probably notice that he had a teleprompter but it was obviously going on TV and he made no attempt to hide reading his own lyrics.

• Members

I have similar real life discussions with the guys in my main band and most other musicians I know. I sometimes call up other musicians at random to bounce ideas around. This just makes it easier to express myself at 3 a.m.

I'm sure most of the people here would feel quite comfortable sitting on my back patio shooting the breeze, well maybe not right now since we've got 45 mph winds and driving sideways rain from Issac.

but hey, when it comes to the internet I admit I'm a forum junkie, I admin four boards, host two, run wordpress blogs, tumblr, I'm a lost cause.

Archived