Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you with driveracks...

We use our driverack primarily for a crossover, but I know it can do so much more.

We play a variety of rooms and our 31-band FOH EQ gets changed every time. Does it do any good to take the time to pink noise an empty venue and save the settings? I'm sure we couldn't entirely bypass the EQ, but how close will that setting be to what we need the next time we play that same room? Would it minimize tweaking?

What has been your experience?
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Save the EQ setting once the room has filled and use that next time you play there.
    All there really is, is virtue and vice.

Comment

We never pink in the room. Only outdoors away from buildings. That establishes the baseline. We do save presets for each room we play regularly.
      "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

A couple more options to use would be the limiters for protection, and also the ability to delay mains/subs to the backline.

Comment

The band I just joined has a drive rack and mike says he RTA's the rooms with it. Once I gig with em I'll let you know more.
          Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

First ... your Graphic EQ shouldn't need much if any adjustment from room to room unless you are playing in very small rooms (your bedroom). In a decent sized room your speaker will be very close to it's factory spec. It doesn't really change from room to room and most of the things that do change from room to room cannot be fixed with an EQ.

Your bet bet is to set up outside and run the autoEQ. Then you have to make some decisions because the driverack tries to make your speaker "perfect". You speaker will never be perfect but the driverack tries to boost the low bass and highest highs well beyond what they are capable of reproducing. You need to pull this back out
            Don Boomer

Comment

My approach is to set the EQ with the speakers faced out of my garage at the door for a non-reflective acoustic situation. Just trying to get the flattest response as a base. In most rooms, that's an improvement over most ear tuned systems. (Not counting my 59 year old hearing.) I rarely move any channel's EQ off of flat. It's not a perfect answer, but it's a pretty workable solution without forcing pink noise on an open club. Now I use my amp stack with 5 different speaker combinations and have set all of these up in the same manner. The HF amp is only setup for frequencies above 2K. For those situations that involve speakers with internal crossovers, I drive them with the mid amp running full range. (And auto-EQ'd after doing that setup.) End result is the same input without regard to the output and no changing connections inside my rack case. Only 2 mid/Horn and 2 sub/horn connections on the output side. (HF horn is always on the +/- 2 speakon connection for its protection.) Though the sub amp could barely fry the mids, it would be pretty obvious before running full power to the setup system.

So what I use the DriveRack for is crossover, Auto-EQ, and anti-feedback. (And speaker flexibility, cause you don't need the largest system for the smallest club we play in and the smallest system isn't adequate outdoors.)

Comment

A couple more options to use would be the limiters for protection, and also the ability to delay mains/subs to the backline.

I think John set up the limiters. Not sure about the rest, but I'll ask him. Thanks!
                * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                My cover band

Comment

The band I just joined has a drive rack and mike says he RTA's the rooms with it. Once I gig with em I'll let you know more.

Thank you, sir!
                  My cover band

Comment

My approach is to set the EQ with the speakers faced out of my garage at the door for a non-reflective acoustic situation. Just trying to get the flattest response as a base. In most rooms, that's an improvement over most ear tuned systems. (Not counting my 59 year old hearing.) I rarely move any channel's EQ off of flat. It's not a perfect answer, but it's a pretty workable solution without forcing pink noise on an open club. Now I use my amp stack with 5 different speaker combinations and have set all of these up in the same manner. The HF amp is only setup for frequencies above 2K. For those situations that involve speakers with internal crossovers, I drive them with the mid amp running full range. (And auto-EQ'd after doing that setup.) End result is the same input without regard to the output and no changing connections inside my rack case. Only 2 mid/Horn and 2 sub/horn connections on the output side. (HF horn is always on the +/- 2 speakon connection for its protection.) Though the sub amp could barely fry the mids, it would be pretty obvious before running full power to the setup system.

So what I use the DriveRack for is crossover, Auto-EQ, and anti-feedback. (And speaker flexibility, cause you don't need the largest system for the smallest club we play in and the smallest system isn't adequate outdoors.)

That's great! Thanks!
                    My cover band

Comment

Good ideas in this thread that I'll keep in mind for gig time!
                      Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

There are a bunch of posts on this in live sound and production re using "auto settings" driverack, did you search over there?

Comment

We never pink in the room. Only outdoors away from buildings. That establishes the baseline. We do save presets for each room we play regularly.
                          that's a great way too flatten out your actual system but it doesn't help much for quirky rooms with hot or dead spots.
                          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                          -For Sale:
                          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

that's a great way too flatten out your actual system but it doesn't help much for quirky rooms with hot or dead spots.

Actually there's not much you can do with an equalizer to affect hot or dead spots. Those things happen because of the geometric layout of the room.

A bulldozer helps here
                            Don Boomer

Comment

That's great! Thanks!

There's a lot of good driverack threads over in Live Sound. RTAing for individual rooms using pink noise is not really feasible in most venues that are operating during the day. You'll drive out any customers.
                              https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                              http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Working...
                              X