Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would or wouldn't you do for money?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would or wouldn't you do for money?

I asked this question in another thread, but I think it's a good enough topic that it deserves it's own. So I'll ask it again:

Check out the video of this Northern California band. (Go to about the 2:30 mark and see them playing live rather than just the still shots.)

By just listening to them, they seem like pretty standard fare: they play the classic rock standards that most classic rock bands play. I'm guessing a LOT of bands on this forum play the same songlist (or very similar) and play it about as well. I'm also guessing that a lot of bands that do are playing in the $350-600 range.

I know from looking at this band's schedule that they are getting at least $1200 a gig for most of them. I've played many of those same venues and that's what we got just to play for the first time with no following.

So the question is: if someone came up and told you that your band could play the exact same songlist you're playing right now, but they'd pay you $1200 a night to wear these clothes and add the two dancing girls to your lineup---would you do it?

If you wouldn't, why not?

And if you would...why aren't you looking to find some similar gimmicky way to sell the songs you're playing now?

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

I'll go first! I'm a big ol' whore whose done worse for a lot more money! I've done Blues Brothers shows, country shows, currently doing a Buffet style show along with the usual variety for wedding/corporate work. I've worn the suits with the Ray Bans, the aloha shorts with the leis, the bolo ties with boots. Sometimes it's hired gun for a show at a fair a couple states away, sometimes it's tongue-in-cheek cheese to the core. I've purchased boxes of stuff from Oriental Trading company, hired island dancers and set up confetti cannons, all to give the purchaser the kind of show they're looking for. The only thing we, as a band, and I, personally, try to remain unwaivering on, is the quality of the music. Spot on harmonies and well rehearsed parts are the prioirty, well before any of the rest of that stuff comes into play. AlthoughI did draw the line at some sparkly blue vest that someone made that made us look like a barber shop quartet playing rock. Those were just sick and wrong. I wore spandex and giant hair in the eighties, for the love of gawd! Anyone that would think I'd be beneath this is nuts! For the right price of course....
    One more time kids; equalizers are not cross overs, vocal mics are not cymbal mics and pan knobs are not three position switches. As you were.

Comment

I would do it as a freebie for a charity cause I believed in. Otherwise no.
      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
      -For Sale:
      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Figure $100 per girl and $200 per guy maybe, after costs?

Yeah, I'd do it. Thatsbetter than we're regularly clearing now.

As for what 'gimmicks' I'm using to sell current bands...we're not aiming at gimmicks, but we are willing to wear what some would consider costumes...we have a pseudo dress code for stage already, a couple hot chicks dancing wouldn't faze me in the least...

Hell, I played a freaking Jack Johnson song for money before; clearly I have no limits.
        For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

As long as it was fun, I liked most of the material and it paid good - yeah, sign me up!
          All there really is, is virtue and vice.

Comment

Assuming production supplied and it's 6 (four players and two dancers) each getting an equal cut at 200 bones a night.....who wouldn't want that for a cover band? That's a decent wage for production supplied. Not corporate dough but it will get a lot of pros out of the house for the wage. Nothing wrong with the "uniforms" IMO, atleast it isn't gold blazers! Now that'd be a deal breaker....but maybe not...
            Signature?

Comment

Assuming production supplied and it's 6 (four players and two dancers) each getting an equal cut at 200 bones a night.....who wouldn't want that for a cover band? That's a decent wage for production supplied. Not corporate dough but it will get a lot of pros out of the house for the wage. Nothing wrong with the "uniforms" IMO, atleast it isn't gold blazers! Now that'd be a deal breaker....but maybe not...
              I know, but if you make $175-300 for your normal gig, why would you want to do this if it is only $200/per?
              tlbonehead@yahoo.com
              -For Sale:
              -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
              - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD

Comment

If you wouldn't, why not?

Money doesn't motivate me.

Comment

I know, but if you make $175-300 for your normal gig, why would you want to do this if it is only $200/per?

that wasn't the question. Obviously nobody is going to do something other than they are doing now for LESS money.

Maybe I should have put it another way rather than use specific dollar amounts:

You're guaranteed to increase your current per-man pay 2-3X by going this route. Would you do it?
                  https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                  http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Nope.

Money doesn't motivate me.
                    money motivates me, but.....
                    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                    -For Sale:

Comment

that wasn't the question. Obviously nobody is going to do something other than they are doing now for LESS money.

Maybe I should have put it another way rather than use specific dollar amounts:

You're guaranteed to increase your current per-man pay 2-3X by going this route. Would you do it?
                      well that is certainly a better way to put it. But in my case the answer stays the same. But I certainly have no prob with those who would, or do similar gimmickry.
                      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                      -For Sale:

Comment

It's a general question and relates to economics (in my opinion) of what gets players out of the house. 400 bones for a weekend, personal gear load in and out only, is decent wage for a weekend for a cover band. For those that play "dive bars" and the like this is maybe double what they'd make in a weekend which would include mixing from stage more than likely. Would I want an equal share to "dancers" that are eye candy only? Probably not but that wasnt' the OP. The other main question was would you as a player be "okay" with some booty shaking it on the stage as part of a show. As Grant will attest, most that play the party band (and that's a whole 'nuther thread) format are used to chicks shaking it either on subs or on stage at some point during a gig. My current band promotes that FWIW.
                        Signature?

Comment

Would the name of my band need to be "Shapell Homes", 'cause I'm not really diggin' that...
                          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                          My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

To seriously address the OP... damn skippy, I would!
                            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                            My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

My situation right now is:

Extremely stable middle-class career (non musical) and creatively fulfilling music project (songs I've written and songs I really enjoy performing. I haven't sought out a booking in months and our calendar is as full as I want it to be. We are just graduating from the $75-$100/man shows into festival/private party work, but we'll definitely get stuck with some play-for-the-door gigs when the winter comes. That said, I'm having a lot more fun than I'd have backing up go go dancers and playing butt rock. If I could make a comparable living to what I'm making now, I suppose I'd rather be making music rather than working. But unless it's paying my bills, I don't think I'd enjoy an arrangement like that.
                              Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X