Songs by The Who

Tomm Williams

• Members

What kind of demographic do you guys play to? Just curious....you don't see many bands learning "Who" songs now-a-days. I always prefer up-tempo and popular: My Generation, Pinball Wizard, Won't be Fooled Again.. but in all honesty, we've never played a "Who" song as a party band that trys to keep our setlist fairly current.

• Members

That might work well with our mash-up of Mony, Mony and Devil with a Blue Dress.

I could see that.

It's in A, so it should be easy to mash it in with a tune in E (like "Mony Mony").

Fun song to play on bass. Definitely use a pick and a good amount of dirt. Listen to the bass at the very beginning, on the second go-round of the main lick. You'll hear a big nasty "fart" LOL where he slams the low E string for a brief moment. It's nasty as {censored} in a good way and they left it in there too. :thu:

• Members

What kind of demographic do you guys play to? Just curious....you don't see many bands learning "Who" songs now-a-days. I always prefer up-tempo and popular: My Generation, Pinball Wizard, Won't be Fooled Again.. but in all honesty, we've never played a "Who" song as a party band that trys to keep our setlist fairly current.

I think you could hit some early 60s stuff thats been off the classic rock set lists for years as a novelty. We added some really old stones. satisfaction, honky tonk woman, and last time. We are a variety band and play to mixed crowds. I would never try to run a show on that stuff , but its fun to pull those old songs out and rock the hell out of them. I think as a party band you can stray off the path as long as you grab the best of the era. It might set you apart from the herd of party bands to stray a touch from what everyone else is doing a couple times a night.

• Members

I can definitely see why your bassist wants to play them, John Entwhistle is one of my all time fav bass players...ESPECIALLY his playing on "Eminence Front"...just BRILLIANT.

Unfortuantely most people (in my experience anyways back when I was gigging in classic rock cover bands) just want to hear their hits, like "My Genreation" and "Pinball Wizard"...we tried a few of their lesser known stuff and their main hits were the only ones that ever got any response....

• Members

Have you never watched CSI? All three shows have theme songs by "The Who"; Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again and Who Are You.

May I also suggest Boris The Spider?

Actually, I'm going to add that to my list of songs-I'd-like-to-do too.

• Members
Bass player wants to do some Who in the worst way. Have to confess, never listened to them that much. Any of their songs you folks do that go over well?

Squeeze Box usually goes over really well with most types of crowds. Magic Bus can go over pretty well if you have kind of a hippy/retro following. We used to turn it into a bluesy slide guitar thing.

• Members

We do a pretty hard rocking version of Eminence Front that a couple of our regulars go nuts over.

We do squeezebox most every night - and there are usually a couple of tambourine playing audience ladies joining in o that one.

We will typically end one of the sets with Won't Get Fooled Again. Always well received.

I wanna do "the real me" some day. The John Entwistle Band version is particularly cool.

Archived