What do I need in a hand cart?

• Members

I'm moving in the next month or two, and while we are hiring some people to help with the moving, I need to get a hand cart/dolly/hand truck. Since I've got to get the cart anyway, I thought I might get one that I could put to work getting myself to and from gigs. I definitely need big inflatable tires in order to get stuff up and down stairs, but any other features you might recommend that would come in handy after I use it for the move would be helpful.

• Members

I have one that converts to a 45 degree angle, along with folding down flat as a cart. I've never used it flat, but the 45 degree is handy as heck. Aluminum. I think it says Costco for the brand. It wasn't bought at Costco.

Bad pic...
6BC57AD5-ED3A-484E-898C-6C25A4383EA6-742

Better pic at a 45 degree.
53D2C17F-64A6-4EAD-B254-EAC34D5CC113-742

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22 View Post
I have one that converts to a 45 degree angle, along with folding down flat as a cart. I've never used it flat, but the 45 degree is handy as heck. Aluminum. I think it says Costco for the brand. It wasn't bought at Costco.

Bad pic...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304427-66651-12301ABL1_42949.

• Members
I think it says Costco for the brand. It wasn't bought at Costco.
Cosco are the people who make handtrucks and ladders. No "t" in their name.

Personally, I wouldn't get much use out of a truck with a set angle as the weight-distribution of whatever-is-on-the cart is the biggest factor is determining the best angle for moving. Personally, I like the standard hand trucks that have some sort of "slider" on the back so that it can go up-and-down stairs easier.

• Members

weve always used the rocknroller carts.
We end up keeping the stuff on them in the truck and tying them to the walls so they dont move.

Basically when we get to the shows the keycart and the lightcart are already loaded and ready to loaded in.
Other stuff is either on casters (speakers) or have hard cases with wheels (lighting truss and stands, Electronic drums, mixer rack)

• Members

I bought one of these yesterday: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
0600524_1?$thumbnail$&defaultImage=image0600524_2?$thumbnail$&defaultImage=image

The two sets of wheels make it easy to get over my patio door and step by "cheating", rather than by rolling over the sliding door frame. The flat surface makes it easy to pile on stuff when it's used as a cart.

I played with it last night loading and unloading the top half of my split L100 organ which weighs about 175 lbs. Like butter. Providing it stops raining this afternoon, I'll test loading it into my van solo, too. The idea is to roll it around on the big wheels, tilt it so that the little wheels are inside the van, then lift the bottom up and slide it in.

I also use a flat piece of plywood with a strap and 2.5" casters for hauling stuff, very handy, I also put it flat in my van when I tip the Leslie on top of it, then I roll the Leslie on it while it's in the van. Otherwise the cover and/or wood catches on the carpet, seat hardware, etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

Second this suggestion. I didn't need anything more than one of the smaller versions (R2), but it's some of the best gear money I've ever spent. Pissed I didn't buy one before last year.

I bought one of the small ones and ended up buying the larger one the following week. Makes load ins a breeze!!!!

• Members

I prefer a simple pneumatic tire hand truck. I find they go over things like curbs and doorsills easier - and are more manueverable in tight spaces than the horizontal "rock'n'roll" carts. Loading a "horizontal" style cart that's awkward to get up over doors and curbs, wrestle through doors and fumble through tight aisles feels like more work. Most of my load-ins have a relatively short distance from van to dance floor. Tip the heavy stuff, slide the lip of the handtruck and run vs lift to load the cart, wrestle it from point A to point B and lift to unload it. The vertical handtruck may mean I make a couple of extra trips ... but it just feels like it's less work.
053417032065lg.jpg

• Members

I have a folding hand truck for light stuff. It claims to handle 125 pounds, but if you drop the handle while loaded, it will bend. (I doubt that I'm the only one who is clumsy.) I have a larger non-folding one that I use when towing a trailer. It handles a larger weight and has 4 wheels for even heavier loads. It doesn't fit inside the mini-van very well. I used to use it to bring stuff up from my basement. I'm not interested in carrying 600+ pounds up the steps. (Am I getting too old?) One thing that I didn't see mention was a ratchting strap to tie the load in place. Very useful.

• Members

Bad pic...
6BC57AD5-ED3A-484E-898C-6C25A4383EA6-742

Quote Originally Posted by nousername View Post
This is the one I have. Converts from a normal cart to a flatbed to the 45 degree angle you see in the pic. It holds a lot of weight but isn't very heavy itself. Well worth the cost as we have a couple gigs where the load in spot is a long way from the stage area, and the ability to condense the trips into 2-3 vs 15 is a time and back saver. I mostly use it in the flatbed mode.

Archived