Sexual Humor and Sexual Innuendo: When is it too much at band rehearsal?

New Trail

• Members

First off, I'm no prude and I'm not above using adult words and occasional adult and sexual humor at band practices, but when is it too much? We have one guy who will sing dirty lyrics on every song he sings (at rehearsal), continually makes sexually rude comments, jokes, etc. Of course everybody laughs (me too), then other people start and it's a steamroller type thing. We DO get things done despite all the joking around, but to me it gets to be too much after a (very short) while.

Anyone else?

• Members

I've had a couple of bandmates over the years who were like this. The sex part of the equation didn't bug me all that much (as long strictly amongst the guys ... and not behavior that carries over into public). After 4 years of barracks life, 4+ years of college roommates and 15+ years of 3 nights a week adult league hockey lockerrooms - foul language and dirty jokes don't phase me in the least.

If the bandmate in question is anything like the couple of guys that I've run into - what would bug me is that the guys spent all their energy looking to make the jokes work when everybody else around them were trying to "get stuff done". I'm all for clowning around ... but found the constant clowning to be a distraction.

• Members

It's best doing this stuff in an originals group. Everybody chuckling except the songwriter. If I could somehow capture "death stare rays" and turn them into electricity, we could stop digging up the Alberta tar sands.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wesg

View Post

It's best doing this stuff in an originals group. Everybody chuckling except the songwriter. If I could somehow capture "death stare rays" and turn them into electricity, we could stop digging up the Alberta tar sands.

OMG that's so true. I know a guy that used to CONSTANTLY mock the tunes his bandleader was writing. Death rays....LOL

• Members

What an odd thread... doesn't each group of friends share their own limit on humor? I'd say it's "too much" when it starts bothering you or someone else.

My cover band singer gets very sexually vocal when he's feeling the alkiehol. Big part of why the band is done in December right there.

In my original band, we have a rather bawdy young female singer. My guitarist is the one who is very uncomfortable with it, so we said "hey, let's tone down the sexual stuff." Problem solved.

Just, ya know, talk to your band mates, dude. wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post
Ahhh, yes, so true! I was in a band where the singer would always swap around words on covers, and we all laughed. But when we did it to an original, you could see it bothered him.

Now THAT'S a double standard. biggrin.gif

Side note: I totally still do it to him when we hang out.

• Members

usually the humor gets dirty and dark when we have a long drive home from a gig. The hypothetical stories start and they just end up going goofy dirty places. It keeps us awake and laughing like fools. But onstage both bands are pretty tame.

• Members

During the tracks we don' really fuck around...at rehearsal or gigs. Sometimes our singer will throw a lyric in if it's related to the room...on F U this past weekend we dedicated it and sang fuck you to the Yankees...

But after the song ends, anything goes. We blurt out things (to each other) that would probably make even some of you guys blush biggrin.gif

• Moderators

It's like anything. "You check out the game last night?" etc. And then we get on with the task at hand. But what I've seen happen with moron types who are insecure, etc, is they use the supposed "taboo" nature of their humor to discredit anyone saying, "Let's get one with it". They try to make that person look like a prude. When, as SpaceNormy says, it isn't shocking, it's just a waste of time after a certain point.

Guys that don't get the natural rhythm of work, let off steam, work some more, then some more, now let off steam. They just want to let off steam without building any up. That's a waste of time and I got no time for it. I love to laugh. And even more, I love to get stuff done.

• Members

Sounds like a complete waste of practice time to me, if he wants to sing dirty tell him to get a karaoke machine and have at it. Practice makes permanent = what you do in practice you do live. So if you don't mind giving a pervert a chance to act like a dirty wierd al live then you will be fine.

Archived