I Hate When That Happens!

SpaceNorman

• Members

Ran into a technical problem on Friday night involving my keyboard rack. To make a long story short - I discovered that I had not MIDI connectivity between my CP300 and the Motif ES Rack unit that lives in my Keyboard rack. The signal path involves a snake from the keyboard into a Motu MIDIExpressXT interface along with a short midi cable from the Motu to the Motif. The rack is closed up with "blanks" on the rear rails that need to be removed to get to it ... and the cabling inside the rack is definitely "tight". There simply wasn't enough time (or enough light!) to troubleshoot it at the gig - so I simply played the evening with the rack unit.

The rack was put together roughly a year ago. The CP300 / Motif patches I use were literally created years ago. When the problem popped up on Friday night - I found myself scratching my head - I was a little foggy on exactly how the rack was wired up. Worse, I couldn't remember which of the voices in each layered patch were sourced from the the CP300 and which were sourced from the Motif.

I had a similar issue with my FOH rack a few months ago ... and found myself facing the same problem. It had been so long since I had to "visit" the rack innards that I had forgotten exactly how it was wired up in the first place.

Archived