A frustrating connection with an old band

FitchFY

• Members

This is just some frustrated venting... I played with a band for about a year and change and had some good fun. I left the band at the end of 2011 on great terms - all good friends, no drama. Still chat.

In the meantime, they don't do much at all - play sparsely, almost no FB or web presence nowadays. They played a few weeks back, and actually rolled out some FB posts... and they said on their FB event, almost verbatim, "we're on first, so check us out and then let's find the next party!" :facepalm:

In a city like Boston where the scene is sturggling, to literally say "don't stay for the rest of the bands" is just being a jerk. But I digress. :rolleyes:

The bigger frustration is a few friends commented to me about it, a few of them who are local promoters/ bookers... who thought I was still in the band. :eek: Over talking to them, I realized how damaging this correlation could be to someone who is VERY involved in the local music scene and will be rolling out his new original project in 2013. I don't want these promoters thinking I've suddenly gone rogue! Ahhhh!

Not the hugest deal in the world, and these promoter friends know me and all kind of gave a variation of "hey, what gives?" before assuming the worst, but still... frustrating, ya know? To have it mentioned by numerous parties... blech. :cop:

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Clearly not a huge deal, but I guess it's another one of those non-controllable hazards and hijinks of being in a band! :D

• Members

This is what I was thinking. Let them know that made a serious misstep - that way you are doing them and yourself a favor.

Heh heh - yeah, it was mentioned... they kinda didn't care... it's part of why I excused myself from the band. :) Older dudes, more concerned with playing to their friends and then lighting up at someone's house party, ya know?

Like I said, not a huge concern, just frustrating.

But Rocket888 got me thinking about my new project more and when I want to "unveil" it... which probably isn't too far away!

• Members

Heh heh - yeah, it was mentioned... they kinda didn't care... it's part of why I excused myself from the band.
:)
Older dudes, more concerned with playing to their friends and then lighting up at someone's house party, ya know? Like I said, not a huge concern, just frustrating......!

Yeah, I don't think I would sweat it too much. The people who know you but who didn't know you weren't still in that band will know soon enough and the uncouthness of their FB posting won't be passed on to you.

• Members

I read some DIY musician book that recommended you buy a keg and throw a house party immediately following your first set (when the other sets are other bands). That way, the bookers see the club packed during your set and not so much during everyone else's. might work in a big city, but word of mouth is way more important around here than draw.

Archived