anyone here do HEAD LIKE A HOLE?

tlbonehead

• Members

It's a song I personally really like (Pretty Hate Machine is one of my favorite albums by anybody, ever) but it doesn't fit with the sort of "variety" gigs my band does. Not exactly a fun, party song. But for bands doing well with 90s grunge/rock, I would think it would be an obvious choice.

• Members

We do it and it pretty much kills. There's a fine line of how aggressive to make it, however. It needs to be heavy and aggressive enough to feel the song, but not so abrasive that you scare off the pretty dancing girls. Fortunately, we found that line - a big part of it is how the drums drive, as well.

We do an 8 bar drum solo in the middle, too, which is oddly fun! thumb.gif

• Members

I have seen it done but you really have to have the right crowd. Closer is probably a more popular choice as it is better known.

Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
It's a song I personally really like (Pretty Hate Machine is one of my favorite albums by anybody, ever) but it doesn't fit with the sort of "variety" gigs my band does. Not exactly a fun, party song. But for bands doing well with 90s grunge/rock, I would think it would be an obvious choice.
You continue to astonish me biggrin.gif

One of my faves also.

• Members

Pretty Hate Machine was one of those albums I got into when a lot of people in these parts were like, "Huh? Who? What?" and "that sounds weird." Pretty much the same people that looked at me funny whenever I cranked up Devo and GODFLESH albums.

I can see it going over with the same crowd that would love to sing (shout? scream? tongue.gif) along with "F*** you, I won't do what you tell me!!!" (Killing In The Name). They would be shouting "I'd rather DIE...than give you CONTROL!!!" instead.

I'm intrigued. Maybe I'll give it a go with the lil trio. I'll report back the response (or lack thereof). thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent View Post
You continue to astonish me biggrin.gif

One of my faves also.
I was blown away when that album came out. And there was a lot of good stuff coming out at that time. I made the bold prediction at the time that that album would go on to become the Gen-X "Dark Side of The Moon". It hasn't really become quite THAT, I don't think, but it's an amazing record nonetheless, IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

I was blown away when that album came out. And there was a lot of good stuff coming out at that time. I made the bold prediction at the time that that album would go on to become the Gen-X "Dark Side of The Moon". It hasn't really become quite THAT, I don't think, but it's an amazing record nonetheless, IMO.

One of my Top 10 favorite albums. At the time it was such a departure from anything I listened to at that point. It was a big influence in me becoming interested in synths and programming.

• Members

View Post

It was definitely the album that brought industrial rock to the mainstream, opening the doors for Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills, Powerman 5000, etc. Just a great, great, great album.

• Members

View Post

Based on your band and posts, I'm surprised you like NiN.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent View Post
Hate to attempt to speak for David, but I think you'll find that the stuff a lot of us on here listen to is not limited to what our respective bands play.

jamieb
+++++

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

It was definitely the album that brought industrial rock to the mainstream, opening the doors for Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills, Powerman 5000, etc. Just a great, great, great album.

Gravity Kills... nice - I was a little sad when they stopped making one-word-title albums.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent View Post
icon_lol.gif fair enough. But just for the record:

1) I've always personally liked a wide variety of music and I hope that always continues. Good music is good music. I've never been tied to only liking certain genres. I would find that very boring I think. Like only liking blondes. Why do that when there are so many beautiful brunettes and redheads out there?

2) I play in a cover band and the type of band we are is largely a function of where we live and how old we are. My main concerns with playing in any cover band are A) playing with people I have a good time playing with, B) playing gigs that are fun to play, C) making as much money as is possible while still doing A and B.

If I could do all that in a band that plays NiN I might choose to do that instead. But it really isn't possible. There's not really much of a market where I live for 50 year old guys playing NiN. So I play other stuff I enjoy doing instead. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
icon_lol.gif fair enough. But just for the record:

1) I've always personally liked a wide variety of music and I hope that always continues. Good music is good music. I've never been tied to only liking certain genres. I would find that very boring I think. Like only liking blondes. Why do that when there are so many beautiful brunettes and redheads out there?

2) I play in a cover band and the type of band we are is largely a function of where we live and how old we are. My main concerns with playing in any cover band are A) playing with people I have a good time playing with, B) playing gigs that are fun to play, C) making as much money as is possible while still doing A and B.

If I could do all that in a band that plays IRON MAIDEN I might choose to do that instead. But it really isn't possible. There's not really much of a market where I live for 38 year old guys playing IRON MAIDEN So I play other stuff I enjoy doing instead. thumb.gif
made a little change to reflect how I feel but... agreed! thumb.gif

Archived