Asking too much????

race81

• Members

Here is a pic of a venue we played last weekend. The stage is none too deep, barely enough room for the four of us. This is our second time at this venue. We were asked to play the same room for a high school reunion/food/party type thing. I love this place, but it has a huge dj booth on one side of the stage (see pic). The stage has walkouts for dancing/or for band members to use. Question is, would it be out of line to ask the owners if the dj booth could be moved for the night. We are currently unable to move at all because of lack of room. Has anyone asked a venue to do this....seems the dj booth worked in the past(years ago)...just not seeing its usefulness for a live band!

junction8.jpg

• Members

Geez - give the drummer some room there....:facepalm:

Why are you all crowded on to that little bit where you are when you have all that real-estate right there in front of you....get out of the drummer's space...

Yeah - I think you're asking too much.

That's one fugly dj booth tho..

• Members

Les, that picture makes it look like you're on a huge stage and your band mates are just crowding you in... is there one with a different perspective?

As for asking the venue, you could bring it up in passing and be like "hey, do you guys ever move that DJ booth out of curiosity for bands?" Not as a deal breaker, just in that they may be like "yeah, all the time!" and then you're golden.

• Members

Les, that picture makes it look like you're on a huge stage and your band mates are just crowding you in... is there one with a different perspective?

If you look close it appears the foreground is just a small catwalk with a gap between that and where the band is... you can see some of the cabling hanging down in front...

• Members

where would they put it? It's probably got power wired into it and other things that would make it difficult to move. And where would they put it?
:)

Theres room for the box aside, but, I was thinking last night about it and the wiring and such came into thought.

• Members

THe stage is wide, if the booth wasnt there......the big problem is depth, Im back against the wall, and my wife is straight in front of me with her back against my 18" crash. Im guessin this stage is maybe 8' deep.???

Theres room for the box aside, but, I was thinking last night about it and the wiring and such came into thought.

That's the question... can the DJ booth be moved, and does the owner want it moved? If a single band is requesting it but it doesn't fit his needs, plans or aesthetics of the room, good luck. Some owners work hard to accommodate a great music venue others just plod along with the least bit of inconvenience as possible.

• Members

If you look close it appears the foreground is just a small catwalk with a gap between that and where the band is... you can see some of the cabling hanging down in front...

Ahhh, I see it now. Thanks, Mikey!

Les, what about putting your drums kitty-cornered to your left and let the band line up in the rest of the space? Unorthodox, but may be more comfortable.

• Members

The wiring would be a particularly huge nightmare if the DJ booth is also equipped with karaoke players, laser light show stuff, etc.

Playing from the runway would be an idea, but you couldn't put vocals out there due to the location of the FOH speakers.

If this is going to be a frequent venue for you, you could potentially invest in filling in that stupid hole by putting a riser across it. I did some napkin math, you can do it for about $250 if you have carpentry skills and an afternoon. But, now you have something else to haul to the gig! ... OTOH, you would have the best show at the venue, room for lights and everything.

• Members

That stage doesn't seem that horrible to me...but I don't think you're asking too much if that DJ booth is mobile in any way. I've played on very small stages, though. Stupid small. "Why the {censored} are we trying to fit three people in this space" small...3386736812_cddc00e785.jpg

Roman Holiday at Tilted Kilt by MarkScottAustinTX, on Flickr (I'm the guy in the "Green Monstah" shirt)

Brian V.

• Members

That stage doesn't seem that horrible to me...but I don't think you're asking too much if that DJ booth is mobile in any way. I've played on very small stages, though. Stupid small. "Why the {censored} are we trying to fit three people in this space" small...
3386736812_cddc00e785.jpg
Roman Holiday at Tilted Kilt
by
MarkScottAustinTX
, on Flickr (I'm the guy in the "Green Monstah" shirt)

Brian V.

Well you guys are a three piece... we have as many as 6-7 guys on stage at one time... so what seems roomy for a 4 peice band can get pretty cramped for us:

256033_201615079884342_1210058_o.jpg

259488_201615893217594_3035973_o.jpg

Doesn't leave much room for roundhouse kicks.

• Members

I agree the guitar rack should go. I can't imagine the guy moving the booth for the band. I've seen much worse. At least you have a stage, although the setup sucks. I had a twice a week gig that at lasted two years. It was cool at first until they moved us behind a three foot high wall. Since we sit down while we play, all people could see was our heads. It was absurd, but we just played it and got paid. Sometimes there's no cure for stupid.

• Members

I'll go out on a lime and bet that every other 4 piece that gigs that room figures out how to make it work without touching the DJ booth. ...and for that reason and that reason alone, I'd probably not mention moving the DJ booth (moving stuff like that is usually a crap shoot). If they move it all by themselves - it's more work for them. If you move it ... or help them move it ... you're "in the middle of it" if something doesn't work when they put it back. Moving stuff like that always sounds good ... but usually end up creating more problems than it solves.

I'd focus my effort on finding a way to fit the four of you on the stage that's there. As somebody else suggested - moving that guitar rack would probably be a good start (turning it 90 degrees and putting it to the right of guitar player in the white shirt ... or the left of the bass player on the other side of the stage would likely work for you) and let you reclaim some prime "front line" real estate.

• Members

Actually seen anothe band do this. Might try this first, even subtracting a floor tom to gain a little space. Id love to get the guitar rack out of the way. We do a variety of stuff, and guitar changes are a normal. Two guitar players, 4 guitars, 2 flatops. I just hate to rearrange everyone...knowing if we swap positions, the sound of what your use to hearing will change. But I may try this instead of ruffleing feathers with the owner.

Ahhh, I see it now. Thanks, Mikey!

Les, what about putting your drums kitty-cornered to your left and let the band line up in the rest of the space? Unorthodox, but may be more comfortable.

• Members

The wiring would be a particularly huge nightmare if the DJ booth is also equipped with karaoke players, laser light show stuff, etc.

Playing from the runway would be an idea, but you couldn't put vocals out there due to the location of the FOH speakers.

If this is going to be a frequent venue for you, you could potentially invest in filling in that stupid hole by putting a riser across it. I did some napkin math, you can do it for about $250 if you have carpentry skills and an afternoon. But, now you have something else to haul to the gig! ... OTOH, you would have the best show at the venue, room for lights and everything.

Filling that gap with a carpet covered riser was also the first thing I thought of.

Years ago we had a venue we played with a setup similar to this. I proposed this scenario to the owner:

If he was willing to pay for the materials I put in my time to build a removable carpeted riser that he could keep and use when necessary. Luckily when I gave him the cost of materials and made sure he knew I didn't expect money for my time or labor he happily agreed.

The cons to this...... I spent 3 days in there working my ass off.

The Pros to this.......

I got in real good with the owner

The gigs were much more enjoyable

We ended up getting a raise sooner than anticipated

Lastly, I had every other band that played there singing my praises because they hated that stage as much as I did.

• Members

Appears to be plenty of room there. My first band was a seven piece and played many venues that could barely accomodate a four-piece. We rehearsed in 9' x 10' bedroom. Are group comprised of drummer, 1 guitarist, bassist, keyboardist, two horns, and a percussionist. It was crazy but we have some good memories.

Archived