X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking too much????

Here is a pic of a venue we played last weekend. The stage is none too deep, barely enough room for the four of us. This is our second time at this venue. We were asked to play the same room for a high school reunion/food/party type thing. I love this place, but it has a huge dj booth on one side of the stage (see pic). The stage has walkouts for dancing/or for band members to use. Question is, would it be out of line to ask the owners if the dj booth could be moved for the night. We are currently unable to move at all because of lack of room. Has anyone asked a venue to do this....seems the dj booth worked in the past(years ago)...just not seeing its usefulness for a live band!

Jack of all trades....Master of none...

Use the stage as a "drum riser" and set up the rest of the band on the walkouts?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="3">Dillybar 13 july 2008.<br />
    &quot;I do not expect you to lift one of your lazy fingers to find the proof that I am right.&quot;</font></div>

Comment

Sorry... I dont have a solution, but that has got to be the dumbest design I've ever seen for a stage.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

Geez - give the drummer some room there....:facepalm:
        Why are you all crowded on to that little bit where you are when you have all that real-estate right there in front of you....get out of the drummer's space...
        Yeah - I think you're asking too much.
        That's one fugly dj booth tho..

Comment

First thing I'd lose is that guitar rack. It takes up way too much stage space. Get one that hangs the guitars and move it out of the way. As for the DJ booth if it's only used once in awhile I see no problem with asking the venue to move it.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="seagreen">Guitars = Chick Magnet<br />
          Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet<br />
          You do the math.</font></font><br />
          <br />
          <br />
          <font size="1"><font color="blue">HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.</font></font><br />
          <font size="1"><b>Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins</b></font></div>

Comment

Les, that picture makes it look like you're on a huge stage and your band mates are just crowding you in... is there one with a different perspective?

As for asking the venue, you could bring it up in passing and be like "hey, do you guys ever move that DJ booth out of curiosity for bands?" Not as a deal breaker, just in that they may be like "yeah, all the time!" and then you're golden.
            Music, music, I hear music

Comment

where would they put it? It's probably got power wired into it and other things that would make it difficult to move. And where would they put it?
              My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Moog LP
              My Band: http://www.bksband.com

Comment

Les, that picture makes it look like you're on a huge stage and your band mates are just crowding you in... is there one with a different perspective?

If you look close it appears the foreground is just a small catwalk with a gap between that and where the band is... you can see some of the cabling hanging down in front...
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Vocal Gear:</b> Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | <b>Synth Gear: </b>Muse Receptor V1.0 | <b>Controllers: </b>M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7<br><br><br><br></div>

Comment

where would they put it? It's probably got power wired into it and other things that would make it difficult to move. And where would they put it?

Theres room for the box aside, but, I was thinking last night about it and the wiring and such came into thought.
                  Jack of all trades....Master of none...

Comment

THe stage is wide, if the booth wasnt there......the big problem is depth, Im back against the wall, and my wife is straight in front of me with her back against my 18" crash. Im guessin this stage is maybe 8' deep.???

Theres room for the box aside, but, I was thinking last night about it and the wiring and such came into thought.

That's the question... can the DJ booth be moved, and does the owner want it moved? If a single band is requesting it but it doesn't fit his needs, plans or aesthetics of the room, good luck. Some owners work hard to accommodate a great music venue others just plod along with the least bit of inconvenience as possible.
                    so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

If you look close it appears the foreground is just a small catwalk with a gap between that and where the band is... you can see some of the cabling hanging down in front...

Ahhh, I see it now. Thanks, Mikey!

Les, what about putting your drums kitty-cornered to your left and let the band line up in the rest of the space? Unorthodox, but may be more comfortable.
                      Music, music, I hear music

Comment

Ahhh, I see it now. Thanks, Mikey!

Les, what about putting your drums kitty-cornered to your left and let the band line up in the rest of the space? Unorthodox, but may be more comfortable.

We've done this before.

Comment

The wiring would be a particularly huge nightmare if the DJ booth is also equipped with karaoke players, laser light show stuff, etc.

Playing from the runway would be an idea, but you couldn't put vocals out there due to the location of the FOH speakers.

If this is going to be a frequent venue for you, you could potentially invest in filling in that stupid hole by putting a riser across it. I did some napkin math, you can do it for about $250 if you have carpentry skills and an afternoon. But, now you have something else to haul to the gig! ... OTOH, you would have the best show at the venue, room for lights and everything.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

That stage doesn't seem that horrible to me...but I don't think you're asking too much if that DJ booth is mobile in any way. I've played on very small stages, though. Stupid small. "Why the **************** are we trying to fit three people in this space" small...
                            Roman Holiday at Tilted Kilt by MarkScottAustinTX, on Flickr (I'm the guy in the "Green Monstah" shirt)

Brian V.
                            "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

That stage doesn't seem that horrible to me...but I don't think you're asking too much if that DJ booth is mobile in any way. I've played on very small stages, though. Stupid small. "Why the **************** are we trying to fit three people in this space" small...
                              Roman Holiday at Tilted Kilt by MarkScottAustinTX, on Flickr (I'm the guy in the "Green Monstah" shirt)

Brian V.

Well you guys are a three piece... we have as many as 6-7 guys on stage at one time... so what seems roomy for a 4 peice band can get pretty cramped for us:

Doesn't leave much room for roundhouse kicks.

Comment

Working...
                              X