The Brewpub Saga has ended!

jeff42

• Members

I wanted to let everyone know that the brewpub saga has ended today with us cancelling the gig. If anyone followed that thread (that was locked because it went way off topic to crazy town) you know what was going on... I tried to stay optimistic until today when I just said THAT IT!!!! and the universe smiled on us! thumb.gif

Readers digest version:

* Entertainment manager lady at a brewpub heard about us, looks at our site, watches our video then calls me up last month and books us. Show starts at 7:30.

Calls back last week with demands that include no light show, an entire genre of music can not be played, and If you are playing something that we don

• Members

Jeff, you rule. Just respond by a polite voice mail with a sick drum beat in the background:

Thanks for the offer yo, we wanna hit the jams
But yo' b*tch-a$$ attitude is slightly outta hand
So we flippin' what was real and shimmy shimmy out
7pm, ho? Not what Willis was talkin' `bout

Word to the wise, you gotta freshen your skills
Micromanage playas ain't payin' brew pub bills
Your beer is fresh and dope but dat attitude says "bounce"
We'll be rockin' up the road, sippin' on a 40 ounce

*hang-up phone*

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Jeff, you rule. Just respond by a polite voice mail with a sick drum beat in the background:

Thanks for the offer yo, we wanna hit the jams
But yo' b*tch-a$$ attitude is slightly outta hand
So we flippin' what was real and shimmy shimmy out
7pm, ho? Not what Willis was talkin' `bout

Word to the wise, you gotta freshen your skills
Micromanage playas ain't payin' brew pub bills
Your beer is fresh and dope but dat attitude says "bounce"
We'll be rockin' up the road, sippin' on a 40 ounce

*hang-up phone*
thumb.gif

I think the best thing is to always let owners/managers know (or believe) that your services are in demand. And if they are in love with the idea of hiring 'a band' and really aren't in love with your band, move on. We have. It doesn't hurt. Just like in real life relationships... the longer you stay at a venue that doesn't appreciate you, your missing an opportunity to play at one that does. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3 View Post
thumb.gif

I think the best thing is to always let owners/managers know (or believe) that your services are in demand. And if they are in love with the idea of hiring 'a band' and really aren't in love with your band, move on. We have. It doesn't hurt. Just like in real life relationships... the longer you stay at a venue that doesn't appreciate you, your missing an opportunity to play at one that does. wink.gif
I wrote a nice but firm email stating because of the stipulations put on us we are not a good fit for the establishment. I tried to leave a door open to doing something in the future if they would let us do our show- something we worked hard on putting together but i doubt it. I haven't heard back yet but when I do I will post it. We are booked solid until the middle of January 2013 so we are not hurting for places to play and she knows it. I already contacted another venue in that town for a gig when they start booking in 2013 so the people who live there that want to see us can... just not at this brewpub. Their loss...

• Members

AND here it is! The reply... she is NOT happy.

Good morning,

I see by your facebook page that you have already booked at another location. It appears that you emailed me and booked at XXXXX at about the same time.

I am astounded you decided to cancel the show. You gave me no indication that this was the direction you wanted to go. You emailed me a signed contract I emailed you back that we could change the time of start to 7:30, but we cannot play past 11:00 due to a town ordinance on our location. I did recommend that we prorate the show to include the 30 minute difference.

However, I see from the above post on your facebook page that you are not playing at the XXXBREWPUBXXX. I also felt that this was going to be the place for you in the area. We were looking forward to your show.

I must say that I see this as very poor business relations and would have a very difficult time contacting you for future engagements, as I now have an open date that I must fill. I counted on your word and contract. I also counted on the good words of the many people I know that follow your band and are close friends and family of your band.

I am very disappointed in your bands decision.

MANAGER LADY

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jeff42 View Post
AND here it is! The reply... she is NOT happy.

Good morning,

I see by your facebook page that you have already booked at another location. It appears that you emailed me and booked at XXXXX at about the same time.

I am astounded you decided to cancel the show. You gave me no indication that this was the direction you wanted to go. You emailed me a signed contract I emailed you back that we could change the time of start to 7:30, but we cannot play past 11:00 due to a town ordinance on our location. I did recommend that we prorate the show to include the 30 minute difference.

However, I see from the above post on your facebook page that you are not playing at the XXXBREWPUBXXX. I also felt that this was going to be the place for you in the area. We were looking forward to your show.

I must say that I see this as very poor business relations and would have a very difficult time contacting you for future engagements, as I now have an open date that I must fill. I counted on your word and contract. I also counted on the good words of the many people I know that follow your band and are close friends and family of your band.

I am very disappointed in your bands decision.

MANAGER LADY
Unless I have this timeline screwed up a little... probably not wise to promote the new gig so soon before you've given time for notice to settle with the current manager. I find with bar owners it's best to let them know that 'you' are canceling them... not for another gig or opportunity, but because of how they handled relations. A stronger impact I think would have been to wait a week and then promote the new room. Now it looks like you fell into a better opportunity instead of pushing yourself away from the table. All of the reasons you felt uncomfortable for the gig (stipulations, demands, etc) are lost on her. In her eyes you bumped her for a competing room not because she's a micromanaging freak. No harm, no foul. I just like to let bar owners stew a little in their own juices before I let them know the date we previously negotiated on has already been covered. It puts me in a better negotiating position next time (if there is a next time) when they call and I remind them why it wasn't working out last time for us.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3

View Post

Unless I have this timeline screwed up a little... probably not wise to promote the new gig so soon before you've given time for notice to settle with the current manager. I find with bar owners it's best to let them know that 'you' are canceling them... not for another gig or opportunity, but because of how they handled relations. A stronger impact I think would have been to wait a week and then promote the new room. Now it looks like you fell into a better opportunity instead of pushing yourself away from the table. All of the reasons you felt uncomfortable for the gig (stipulations, demands, etc) are lost on her. In her eyes you bumped her for a competing room not because she's a micromanaging freak. No harm, no foul. I just like to let bar owners stew a little in their own juices before I let them know the date we previously negotiated on has already been covered. It puts me in a better negotiating position next time (if there is a next time) when they call and I remind them why it wasn't working out last time for us.

yeah we should have waited to post and update the site. We already talked about it but last night we were all pretty pissed about the brewpub and then excited that we get to go back to a decent room before January.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3

View Post

yeah we should have waited to post and update the site. We already talked about it but last night we were all pretty pissed about the brewpub and then excited that we get to go back to a decent room before January.

• Members

I can see where she think she got dicked, are you sure the last minute booking of this 2nd place didn't influence you to drop the original gig for more $? Business is business, no signed contract, but if you gave her a verbal committment or a "yes" before anything was signed, do you think it's possible communication broke down and fell through the cracks? Just curious. Thanks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jeff42

View Post

I understand that feeling. Sometimes you sick of dealing with someone and naturally you want to subconsciously rub their nose in it. wink.gif We had one bar owner that we left over pay and we immediately did whatever we could to book down the street. No harm, no foul. The important thing is you now have a better room for your band. And face it... she has plenty of time to get a new band, but given her 'stipulations' she may find it difficult filling the slot.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
I can see where she think she got dicked, are you sure the last minute booking of this 2nd place didn't influence you to drop the original gig for more $? Business is business, no signed contract, but if you gave her a verbal committment or a "yes" before anything was signed, do you think it's possible communication broke down and fell through the cracks? Just curious. Thanks.
As we were discussing what to do about this brewpub gig which was a few weeks away our singer's phone ran and it was the owner of the 2nd place that had a cancellation on that day, so yeah that did seal the deal.

Why play a place that has all these stipulations, where the booking lady tells you that the owner is VERY picky about what's being played when u can go back to a place that actually wants you? That was what we came up with so, I tried to call the booking lady, got no answer so I emailed her. We shouldn't have posted the change in schedule immediately after but... whats done is done.

She did just send me another reply:

I booked you as you were the right band. It is unfortunate that this has taken place and I will respect your decision to not play at the XXXBREWPUBXXX

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3 View Post
I understand that feeling. Sometimes you sick of dealing with someone and naturally you want to subconsciously rub their nose in it. wink.gif We had one bar owner that we left over pay and we immediately did whatever we could to book down the street. No harm, no foul. The important thing is you now have a better room for your band. And face it... she has plenty of time to get a new band, but given her 'stipulations' she may find it difficult filling the slot.
all the demands could most likely be easier to meet with the bands on the roster for this place: A classic rock band, an acoustic duo, solo guy, and bluegrass band... and until yesterday Ostrich Hat.

• Members

C'est la vie!

Another one for the story books, man. I think you guys made a perfectly legit call. I too would've said to hold off on promoting the new show so quickly, but hey, I also understand we're HUMAN BEINGS and prone to feelings.

It's not like you lost out. Unless the brewpub becomes the sudden hip spot to play, where all the local people love to go because they don't allow dancing, lights, and having fun, I'd say you're in the clear.

• Members

If you're already burning this bridge, you should let her know that her excessive stipulations about song genres, time slots and stage set up would suggest that you were, in fact, NOT the right band for that venue. Let her know you're running a business just the same as her, and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate being limited on the types of beers her brewpub could serve.

Sounds like a b***h. But I do agree you should've waited a few days before posting the new gig. Would've made it seem to her that you didn't need the place and could pick up another booking at will. Oh well...live and learn!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by musicmanmu View Post
If you're already burning this bridge, you should let her know that her excessive stipulations about song genres, time slots and stage set up would suggest that you were, in fact, NOT the right band for that venue.
I did as nice as possible in my reply. We would have entertained the hell out of the people there I am sure but as we talked about it it was clear the management was not going to be happy with us. yesterday after I got the email about the time change I talked with a friend who lives in that town. He said not only is this lady an asshole the owner IS stupidly picky about the music selection and appearance of the musicians. I was told he asked a horn and accordion duo that was there for Octoberfest not to come back if they insist on bringing their "DJ" lighting. - which was something like this:
LEDMushroom-LEFT-d66683333012e1eefd0b729

I did however (cuz I'm nice) suggest a few bands that would fit for the place and have the date open.

• Members

That's the deal breaker for me right there. Your going to hire a band , then tell them to stop if you don't like the tune? Uh, no.

But the other thing that I noticed is that she said you sent her a signed contract? As in you signed before her? You might want to consider changing that. I never sign my contracts before the client. They sign and return, then I sign and return. You of course could have a copy to prevent her from simply adding stuff to the contract and then signing, but I think there is a difference. You offer a contract, they agree and sign, or make changes and sign. Then it's your option to complete the contract by signing. Protects you in case they sit on the contract and sweat you. Your free to book, as there is no agreement until you sign, instead of waiting by the inbox.

Readers digest version:

and If you are playing something that we don

• Members

That woman sounds like a psycho. Ever heard of 'gaslighting'?

I wouldn't sweat it. My extensive experience with Crazy Bitches Spidey Sense is telling me that as soon as she gets back to torturing whatever unfortunate guy who happens to have her fancy at the moment she will forget all about your band.

:D

• Members

If you're already burning this bridge, you should let her know that her excessive stipulations about song genres, time slots and stage set up would suggest that you were, in fact, NOT the right band for that venue. Let her know you're running a business just the same as her, and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate being limited on the types of beers her brewpub could serve.

If the discussion needs to continue, THIS is what it should be about.

She sounds like the kind of egotistical prick that has to convince everyone else they're right when they clearly aren't...

I.e., she keeps stating that you're the right band, but only if you change/delete numerous aspects of YOUR show.

Psychotic.

• Members

Sometimes, I have felt that for the good of mankind . . . . or at least for my peers who might have to deal with this sort of nonsense in the future . . . . I've decided to set someone like her straight. You do it as diplomatically as you can. She sent you the last email, right? The ball's in your court if you wish to continue playing. So tell her exactly what the issues are. You can even include a regret regarding posting prematurely on facebook about the other gig.

Yeah, it's tilting at windmills, but maybe . . . just maybe . . . . it will get through once in a while, and it will make you feel better.

Something about my personality makes it difficult for me to allow idiots to believe they're right when they clearly don't understand what's going on. . . . and yes, people have flipped this whole thing on me before when they thought I didn't get it. Maybe that explains it.

Archived