Guitar players, what amp(s) are you using?

stratotastic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice variety so far. That Egnater Renegade has my attention. I'll have to go check one out.

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22 View Post
1984 100W JCM800 into a 212 cab

thumb.gif
My 4104 knocked off my Mesa Mark V, which is what I'm thinking of flipping for something else. Maybe another Marshall. Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Peavey Ultra+ through a B-52 4x12 13-ply birch cab with Celestion 30's. Surprisingly, for being on the cheap, it sounds pretty freakin awesome.

Unless we're in a place where we need extremely low volume - then it's a Pod X3 Live straight to the board.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
Peavey Ultra+ through a B-52 4x12 13-ply birch cab with Celestion 30's. Surprisingly, for being on the cheap, it sounds pretty freakin awesome.

Unless we're in a place where we need extremely low volume - then it's a Pod X3 Live straight to the board.
the old Triumphs and Ultras were pretty good sounding higher gain amps. Better than the newer XXX and 5150s, IMO.

• Members

I typically run either a Rivera M60 or an old BF Bassman clean, and get all my drive from a pair of "amp-in-a-box" pedals....a Carl Martin AC-Tone, and a GeekMacdaddy British Ball Breaker for a more Marshall-esque grit. Or I can cascade them for a great lead tone.

Sounds absolutely fantastic, if I do say so myself.

• Members

Hey Mike--what happened to that Marshall??

• Members

The Ultra Plus is one of my favorite amps ever.

My absolute favorite amp ever is the one that came just before it, the Ultra 60/120.

• Members

Hot Rod Deluxe III 'Red October' - the one with the Eminence Red Coat Wizard

Cleans that you can't beat - crunch that is really great with single coils - takes pedals (in both channels) really well - LOUD AS HELL... and it's got Bronco Red Tolex!!!!!! Best $800 I ever spent!

• Members

For the past couple years, I've used a Vox Night Train with an Avatar 1x12 cab with a Celestion Alnico Gold in it. I can dial in a nice sparkly clean sound, and it works well with my GT-10 in front of it for effects. The Gold is pretty efficient so it gets as loud as I need it to be---the group I play guitar with is not all that loud overall.

But, earlier this year, I had a Quilter Micro Pro to test out, and it was pretty impressive for such a small portable amp. I had the 8-inch speaker version, which despite expectations from such a small speaker was definitely a real-world, giggable amp, but I see now that they have a 12" version, and I think that would be better. The one I had sounded pretty good through the stock speaker, but it really came alive with a 1x12 extension cab hooked up.

A few weeks ago I got an Egnater Tweaker 15 head, and I'm excited to test it out, but I haven't had a guitar gig recently. (I play bass in my main band.)

Archived